Not open for further replies.

reverendg

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2010
washington USA
www.themadvaper.com
Wow, great info.

Thank you all for that. I'm a lot less worried about having my vape gear cofiscated on my trip to vegas next mo..
But can you all answer me a question about why I get singled out for a strip search every time I fly?

The thing is, I have a prosthetic shoulder and pins in my wrist. I have a "metal detector card" that was issued by the surgeon that replaced several of my parts, but I no longer even carry it with me. I used to fly quite often between the two u.s. coasts and as soon as I showed them my card (which would be in hand as I passed through the metal detectors), they would call for some kind of code and I was moved off to one side and practically stripped down.

I no longer carry that card with me,and the last several times I flew I had the same problem. Now even when they run the wand detector over me they can pinpoint exactly where the metal is, and even in a t-shirt with scars showing, they want to strip me down.

My wife, who saw me off on my last flight asked the guy if he was going to buy me dinner first l.o.l. But seriously ,this is starting to get annoying to the point where I no longer want to fly the freindly skies.

I'm an ex navy, anglo, minister. why do my dissabilities raise so many flags? Don't let the pirate avatar fool you, (although that is actually me) you can look at my info, find my website and see that I'm not that threatening looking.

My wife say it's cause I'm pretty and they all want to see me nekkid, but she drinks a lot l.o.l Kidding she doesn't drink.

So please enlighten me o wise ones.

Blessings
ReverendG.

trukinlady

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2010
Missouri, USA
Wow, great info.

Thank you all for that. I'm a lot less worried about having my vape gear cofiscated on my trip to vegas next mo..
But can you all answer me a question about why I get singled out for a strip search every time I fly?

The thing is, I have a prosthetic shoulder and pins in my wrist. I have a "metal detector card" that was issued by the surgeon that replaced several of my parts, but I no longer even carry it with me. I used to fly quite often between the two u.s. coasts and as soon as I showed them my card (which would be in hand as I passed through the metal detectors), they would call for some kind of code and I was moved off to one side and practically stripped down.

I no longer carry that card with me,and the last several times I flew I had the same problem. Now even when they run the wand detector over me they can pinpoint exactly where the metal is, and even in a t-shirt with scars showing, they want to strip me down.

My wife, who saw me off on my last flight asked the guy if he was going to buy me dinner first l.o.l. But seriously ,this is starting to get annoying to the point where I no longer want to fly the freindly skies.

I'm an ex navy, anglo, minister. why do my dissabilities raise so many flags? Don't let the pirate avatar fool you, (although that is actually me) you can look at my info, find my website and see that I'm not that threatening looking.

My wife say it's cause I'm pretty and they all want to see me nekkid, but she drinks a lot l.o.l Kidding she doesn't drink.

Blessings
ReverendG.

Hello ReverendG;

I am a below knee amputee, and my prosthesis does the same thing to the metal detectors whenever I fly. TSA is required by federal law to treat you with dignity, and respect when you are going through the security checkpoint. The info below comes directly from the TSA website.
  • If you have implanted medical device, that you would like to remain private and confidential, ask the Security Officer to please be discreet when assisting you through the screening process.
  • It is recommended (but not required) that individuals with a pacemaker carry a Pacemaker Identification Card (ID) when going through airport security. Show the Security Officer your pacemaker ID, if you have one, and ask the Security Officer to conduct a pat-down inspection rather than having you walk-through the metal detector or be handwanded.
  • It is recommended (but not required) that you advise the Security Officer that you have an implanted pacemaker, other implanted medical device, or metal implant and where that implant is located.
  • Security Officer will offer you a private screening once it becomes known that you have a metal implant or implanted medical device.
  • If your Doctor has indicated that you should not go through the metal detector or be handwanded because it could affect the functionality of your device or the magnetic calibration of your device, or if you are concerned, ask the Security Officer for a pat-down inspection instead.
  • Security Officers will need to resolve all alarms associated with metal implants. Most alarms will be able to be resolved during a pat-down, therefore clothing will not be required to be removed or lifted as part of the inspection process.
I hope this will help you. :)

reverendg

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2010
washington USA
www.themadvaper.com
Hello ReverendG;

I am a below knee amputee, and my prosthesis does the same thing to the metal detectors whenever I fly. TSA is required by federal law to treat you with dignity, and respect when you are going through the security checkpoint. The info below comes directly from the TSA website.
  • If you have implanted medical device, that you would like to remain private and confidential, ask the Security Officer to please be discreet when assisting you through the screening process.
  • Security Officer will offer you a private screening once it becomes known that you have a metal implant or implanted medical device.
I hope this will help you. :)

If only they obeyed their own rules, life would be easier. (this is not to say that the helpful folks on here are like that)

But I have never been offered a "private" screening, unless by private you mean off to one side standing on the footprints painted on the floor. with arms spread out behind the glass partition like some side sho freak on exhibit.

I was even asked to unbutton my pants and hold them open for the tsa officer to take a look. I was outraged at that and told "him" in no uncertain terms where he could go...at that he decided that I had had enough searching and let me get back in the line to retrieve my bag that had been left open with my wallet right there as about 20 other passengers passed it.

I just can't figure it out, and I can't stand to fly for that reason alone.
If not for family matters that need taking care of in vegas I wouldn't be flying at all.

As I've stated,I never walk in to the airport with an attitude, and I always give the screeners the benefit of the doubt, up until the point when they decide to reverse profile.

Thank you for the information you provided though, I will print it out and when....yes, when they decide to try and publicly humiliate me again, maybe I'll give them a reminder of their own rules.

Blessings

Well, I am 6'3" and it seems that I tower over most people, so perhaps they do find me threatening. But I know I do not exude threatening behavior, my wife is only 4'11" and she can knock me down with a look. :)

Last edited:

trukinlady

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2010
Missouri, USA
If only they obeyed their own rules, life would be easier. (this is not to say that the helpful folks on here are like that)

But I have never been offered a "private" screening, unless by private you mean off to one side standing on the footprints painted on the floor. with arms spread out behind the glass partition like some side show freak on exhibit.

I was even asked to unbutton my pants and hold them open for the tsa officer to take a look. I was outraged at that and told "him" in no uncertain terms where he could go...at that he decided that I had had enough searching and let me get back in the line to retrieve my bag that had been left open with my wallet right there as about 20 other passengers passed it.

I just can't figure it out, and I can't stand to fly for that reason alone.
If not for family matters that need taking care of in vegas I wouldn't be flying at all.

As I've stated,I never walk in to the airport with an attitude, and I always give the screeners the benefit of the doubt, up until the point when they decide to reverse profile.

Thank you for the information you provided though, I will print it out and when....yes, when they decide to try and publicly humiliate me again, maybe I'll give them a reminder of their own rules.

Blessings

Well, I am 6'3" and it seems that I tower over most people, so perhaps they do find me threatening. But I know I do not exude threatening behavior, my wife is only 4'11" and she can knock me down with a look. :)

I don't blame you for not wanting to fly after that. There is no reason for them to require for you to open your clothing. They are definitely overstepping their authority! Have you thought about reporting it? If nothing else, it will make their superiors aware of the situation, and maybe they can correct it.

A few years ago at the St. Louis airport I had a run in with a TSA officer over a parking spot. He was rude, cocky, and belligerent. I understand the necessity of tightened security since 9-11. But this man was definitely on a power trip, and enjoying every minute of it. I'm glad I don't fly very often.

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
Im travelling soon and going by this and what I found on the website for teh FAA I have to carry my ecigs on me, and any spare batts and the juice can go either in the checked bags or handluggage in approp. baggie.
As I have a mod that takes batts I thought Id put that, without any batts in it, in my checked luggage (carrying hte battery in hand luggage) just in case something happens to the one Im going to HAVE to carry (the eGo). From what ive read its only the Li-ION batts that I need to carry - the mod body I can check right?

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
Im travelling soon and going by this and what I found on the website for teh FAA I have to carry my ecigs on me, and any spare batts and the juice can go either in the checked bags or handluggage in approp. baggie.
As I have a mod that takes batts I thought Id put that, without any batts in it, in my checked luggage (carrying hte battery in hand luggage) just in case something happens to the one Im going to HAVE to carry (the eGo). From what ive read its only the Li-ION batts that I need to carry - the mod body I can check right?

Your good, the ego can go on your carry-on with the liquid, keep it in 10cc-40cc bottles in the 1 quart clear bag. I'm headed to Munich in the morning with 2 JS a KB and a protege. Will post some pictures.
Good luck!

nightsong

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Dallas
Thanks for all of the great info on this thread! I was wondering about filled cartomizers as they do have liquid in them, I do have KR8 blanks but just started using ego cartomizers and was thinking it would be easier to prefill them than worry about taking a syringe through the checkpoint? Should the filled cartos go in the liquid bag?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Tober138

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2010
cHARLOTte, NC
I don't blame you for not wanting to fly after that. There is no reason for them to require for you to open your clothing. They are definitely overstepping their authority! Have you thought about reporting it? If nothing else, it will make their superiors aware of the situation, and maybe they can correct it.

A few years ago at the St. Louis airport I had a run in with a TSA officer over a parking spot. He was rude, cocky, and belligerent. I understand the necessity of tightened security since 9-11. But this man was definitely on a power trip, and enjoying every minute of it. I'm glad I don't fly very often.

Well I fly just about every week (and pretty much have been since 2002) and have to chime in and say I have never once had an issue with a TSA officer. Unfortunately, there are always a couple of idiots out there.

My gf flies almost every week as well and she has a prosthetic arm. She always has to be wanded down (although I tell her she should just pop it off and put it in the tray :D ) but she has never had an issue either. But then again - hers is completely visible - it sounds like the one poster may have pins underneath the skin??

I understand that it can sometimes be a hassle, and flying is less fun and convenient than it used to be, but as someone who has done hundreds of takeoffs and landings over the past several years - I'd rather face a moment of inconvenience vs. anything slipping by security. To be honest, dealing with people who hardly ever fly (and who have no clue how to fly) is a lot more irritating.

13ways

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Orlando, FL
Wow, great info.

Blessings
ReverendG.

I apologize if any of my fellow officers have been rude in how they conduct their checks. Unfortunately checks have to be done whether you have a card describing what implants you have or not. If people with prosthetic implants were not properly screened if they had a card from their doctor then whats to stop some one with malicious intent from getting knee surgery and obtaining one of those cards? As far as being asked to undo your pants I believe from the description and personal experience that you may have not understood what he had asked of you. There is a step in the process that I have had multiple people believe I asked them to undo their pants when I had not. I am not actually at liberty to say what step that is as I am not able to discuss any part of our procedures that are not published on the TSA website.
As for private screening we are supposed to offer it to everyone that goes through the process. That being said 99.99...% of people do not want private screening and instead just want to get it over with so most TSO's skip that step unless they are going to be doing something more invasive than the normal protocol. I too am guilty of this when it gets busy and I am having to run around doing 4 things at once. Yes even I am fallible lol.

I hope that has answered your questions. If not then please feel free to PM me. I haven't been around as much recently because of being busy but I will try to get on here to at least check my PMs.

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
whats the easiest response when asked by screeners what your ecig is? Just what it is, an nicotine vaporizer.

whats the easiest way to ask a stewardess if you can vape on the flight? Don't

whats the easiest way to explain what your ecig is? Normally do not have to if vaped correctly :).

thanks

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread