Utah planning to add use of eCigs to definition of smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacinda222

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2010
Salt Lake, Utah
Something I just noticed on the Utah Legislative website: this document, which is a Fiscal Note that states this bill will cost the state thousands of dollars in revenue:

Enactment of this bill would reduce revenue to the General Fund by an estimated $10,500 in FY 2012,
$73,900 in FY 2013, and $75,300 ongoing beginning in FY 2014 through reduced sales tax and tobacco
tax.

Enactment of this bill would reduce sales tax revenue to local governments by an estimated $3,500 in FY
2012, $24,200 in FY 2013, and $24,700 ongoing beginning in FY 2014.

This bill may cost businesses lost sales revenue up to $160,500 in FY 2012, $1,127,300 in FY 2013, and
$1,149,800 ongoing beginning in FY 2014. Enactment of this bill likely will not result in direct,
measurable expenditures by Utah residents

Surely this will help our case?

Last edited:

MattZuke

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2011
A, A
That is absolutely the dumbest thing I've read in a long time. Believe me, "smokers" know when they've gotten enough nicotine.

Indeed. One thing that was confusing to me starting vaping was the simple fact that cigarettes don't list their nicotine content anymore. I had to go to the FTC archive, and anyone who's using a newer blend is SOL.

Besides, it's kind of accepted that nicotine addiction is self regulating, which is why light cigarettes tend to not represent harm reduction.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
That is absolutely the dumbest thing I've read in a long time. Believe me, "smokers" know when they've gotten enough nicotine.

For some reason your comment to me in two distinct directions. One was the drink sitting on the other side of the bar arguing with the bartender for just one more beer and the other was the movie ...... Madness.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
People seem to think that nicotine "addiction" is like other drug addictions - that it's common to over-indulge. But nicotine use is more like eating - you basically stop when you're full. Ironically, most smokers probably take in more nicotine than they actually need for relief because of the "I don't want to waste this damn expensive cigarette so I'm going to smoke the whole thing" or "I'll smoke two now because I don't have another break for a while" phenomenon. New vapers sometimes over do it, trying out new stuff and because of the novelty, but you quickly get into just taking a puff "as needed."

Retriever

Moved On
Nov 2, 2011
People seem to think that nicotine "addiction" is like other drug addictions - that it's common to over-indulge. But nicotine use is more like eating - you basically stop when you're full. Ironically, most smokers probably take in more nicotine than they actually need for relief because of the "I don't want to waste this damn expensive cigarette so I'm going to smoke the whole thing" or "I'll smoke two now because I don't have another break for a while" phenomenon. New vapers sometimes over do it, trying out new stuff and because of the novelty, but you quickly get into just taking a puff "as needed."

I agree. It is easy, for me anyway, to tell if I have had too much nicotine. I get lightheaded and have palpitations. That doesn't happen often though because I self-regulate. I sure hope we win here. :)

MrsCasey

Pink Spot Fanatic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
Long Beach, CA
This is so true Kristin. I would do the smoke 2 at break, smoke 3 or 4 on the way to work, smoke 3 or 4 at lunch thing. Gotta smoke em while you can. Within a couple weeks of starting to Vape I could easily tell when I was Vaping too much or my MG were too high because I would get hot and sick to my stomach.

Jacinda222

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2010
Salt Lake, Utah
So, seven of us showed up to speak at the State Capitol... then at the very start of the meeting they announced that HB245 had been removed from the agenda, and we were told we could leave. No explanation. :mad:

None of the hookah people showed up this time, so I would assume that they had advanced notice that this was going to happen. I don't know if the bill sponsor is just trying to screw with us or what, but all it did is strengthen my resolve to go after this thing. No more Mister Nice Guy. I've got my war paint on now.

LibertariaNate

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2011
Utah
A substitute bill has been drafted. The only thing that would change for e-cig use, is that e-cig store owners would be allowed to demo equipment in their store using no-nicotine liquid. Geez, how generous of them.

I'll get the link posted once it's available online.

So e-cigs would still be banned where smoking is banned?

LibertariaNate

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2011
Utah
Last edited:

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
He's a dolt for "giving up" 15 jobs to save 75? You're calling the wrong guy a "dolt."

ETA: A lot can change in 5 years...

Once you have Last on record saying he's willing to give you 5 years, that's not the time to back down. This is only a House committee -- there are several more steps to go where the bill could be killed, including by simple delay.

He got offered the 5 year deal because others on the committee expressed great reservations about shutting down an existing business. They likely would have signed onto the 5-year deal regardless of the Huka bar owner's acquiescence, and now he's given up significant ground in arguing against it if it goes to the Senate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread