Status
Not open for further replies.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what but I'm on my second .25 coil and I can't seem to take it much higher than 60w without getting dry hits. A friend of mine is running his crown at 90w with no problems. My coil is reading .26 on my rx200. He's running a sigelei fuchai.
Depending on the juice, I need to poke the side holes with a map pin sometimes.
It's usually after 30ml or so. I think the cotton gets saturated with solids or glazed.
Poke too big of a hole and it'll gurgle.
I just stick it partially in and wiggle it around on a few spots in each hole.
Yeah, you can quote me on that.

EDIT to add:
Did you try that poke the cotton juice holes with a pin trick yet? Running high VG juice?
Note to self - read to the end of the thread before replying...

Reactions: BillW50

nic_fix

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2013
USA
my first ss coil open shorted in 2 days. of course i have had plenty of ni200 ones do that too. other ones last three months. so i cannot blame ss yet. i have plenty more to try. i thought the settings are on the device in the power locked profiles? i still need to adjust the tcr in escribe? it was good but i do not think my f/w were corect either. if someone could suggest a sample setup with the prebuilt coils that would be great. they are the lower ohm ones. thank you

Reactions: BillW50

Buckeyevapen

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
Wow. Right now I'm very disappointed in the crown. Here's what I did and what I'm getting.

Primed first coil with copious amounts of liquid. Visually confirmed that juice was soaking in past the wicking holes. Continued to prime until coil was fully saturated. Installed and filled and let soak for 20 minutes. This is the 1.2 ohm coil so I took very gentle primer puffs at 10 watts nothing happening. Worked my way up to 17.5 taking short powered and unpowered puffs. Took a nice pull at 17.5 and got lots of nasty tasting vapor. Set down and let soak over night thinking well maybe that tight cotton just needs more time.

Woke up this morning took a couple of non powered primer pulls and said lets roll: lots of vapor nothing but nasty flavor. The recommended wattage for this coil is 10-30 watts. Literally this tank is making me gag. WTH?!? I've tried pulling with no power and get some wicking bubbles and the flavor got worse. Vaping 50/50 menthol so the coil should soak this stuff up and the flavor should cut right through. I would hate to think I just wasted money.

AmandaD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
So Cal
Wow. Right now I'm very disappointed in the crown. Here's what I did and what I'm getting.

Primed first coil with copious amounts of liquid. Visually confirmed that juice was soaking in past the wicking holes. Continued to prime until coil was fully saturated. Installed and filled and let soak for 20 minutes. This is the 1.2 ohm coil so I took very gentle primer puffs at 10 watts nothing happening. Worked my way up to 17.5 taking short powered and unpowered puffs. Took a nice pull at 17.5 and got lots of nasty tasting vapor. Set down and let soak over night thinking well maybe that tight cotton just needs more time.

Woke up this morning took a couple of non powered primer pulls and said lets roll: lots of vapor nothing but nasty flavor. The recommended wattage for this coil is 10-30 watts. Literally this tank is making me gag. WTH?!? I've tried pulling with no power and get some wicking bubbles and the flavor got worse. Vaping 50/50 menthol so the coil should soak this stuff up and the flavor should cut right through. I would hate to think I just wasted money.
To get any flavor at all with those 1.2 coils I have to turn it up to 30 watts. However even at 30 watts these coils give so little flavor compared to the 0.25 that I never use them!

Buckeyevapen

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
To get any flavor at all with those 1.2 coils I have to turn it up to 30 watts. However even at 30 watts these coils give so little flavor compared to the 0.25 that I never use them!
So you think I need to throw more power at this coil? I will try that. I was hoping to balance between power/liquid use thus I was trying to keep the power down.

AmandaD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
So Cal
So you think I need to throw more power at this coil? I will try that. I was hoping to balance between power/liquid use thus I was trying to keep the power down.
Turn it up to the max to see what you get, then turn it down and see how low you can go. But as I said, I find very little flavor with the 1.2 ohm coils!

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Are you a MTL vaper or a DTL vaper? For MTL vaping, I would think that 1.2 ohm would be perfect. For DTL vaping, I think it would be horrible. I never tried 1.2 ohm with the Crown, so I don't know for sure. To be honest, I only used the Ni200 coils at first, but bought the RBAs and have been using SS and Ni200 wire ever since.

Buckeyevapen

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
Are you a MTL vaper or a DTL vaper? For MTL vaping, I would think that 1.2 ohm would be perfect. For DTL vaping, I think it would be horrible. I never tried 1.2 ohm with the Crown, so I don't know for sure. To be honest, I only used the Ni200 coils at first, but bought the RBAs and have been using SS and Ni200 wire ever since.
Kind of a hybrid inhaler. I do both. Throwing more power didn't do much on the taste. It just tastes like stale dust. I mostly DTL inhaler. I'm just very disappointed in this tank right now. Might have to find a new home for it. IDK.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Kind of a hybrid inhaler. I do both. Throwing more power didn't do much on the taste. It just tastes like stale dust. I mostly DTL inhaler. I'm just very disappointed in this tank right now. Might have to find a new home for it. IDK.
Yes I do both too. Although I think why the Crown is well liked is because it is generally setup to suck down the juice. If you try to prevent it from consuming so much juice, well it does get kinda crappy tasting.

Buckeyevapen

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
There is no doubt it's a well made tank. Based upon my time with it thus far I do not think that it will do what I was hoping to do: pour out flavor at mid teen watts. I'm not interested in high watt/high liquid use vaping and it doesn't seem like this tank is going to function outside of those two variables even with the 1.2 ohm coil.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
There is no doubt it's a well made tank. Based upon my time with it thus far I do not think that it will do what I was hoping to do: pour out flavor at mid teen watts. I'm not interested in high watt/high liquid use vaping and it doesn't seem like this tank is going to function outside of those two variables even with the 1.2 ohm coil.
Well I have two Crowns on my desk right now and I have the RBA installed and using nickel (but it is very similar to the stock Ni200 coils) and I am vaping at 10 watts (0.09 ohms) with the airflow almost completely closed for MTL. It isn't actually too bad. But there are better tanks for running in this range and the Crowns still consumes running like this about twice as much juice as a Subtank running the same way.

Buckeyevapen

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
Try the .5 ohm or .25 ohm coil then see how you feel.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Believe me I'm not ready to give up on this tank yet either, my concern with those two coil types is the amount of watts required to fire (low battery life) and the amount of liquid I would go through (I'm not DIY).

I running on the VTC mini which we all know is a single 18650 mod.

My fear is that there simply isn't a way to set up the Crown to chuck flavor and be economical with wattage and liquid.

If anyone does have a set up that has worked please let me know. As I've said before my findings should not be counted as a mark against this tank at all: I find it to be one of the best built tanks I've ever messed with which is why I want it to work.

Buckeyevapen

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
@Buckeyevapen: Almost everybody says TC uses more battery power than power mode. But it doesn't seem that way to me, as it is about the same. Although I think others probably have the wattage higher than it needs to be, and that probably uses more battery power.

Yeah when TC really began to take off one of its pros was using less battery and less liquid to get the same vape. That narrative seems to have changed to simply: no more dry hits. I'm bound and determined to make use of the Crown and I really appreciate everyone's feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread