Vaping and Exercise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenho21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2012
The Mitten
So I just decided to go for a run for the first time in almost a year, and since that time I've gained about ten pounds. I am not in the best shape of my life (6'2" 220 lbs.) and I realize that, but when I went for the run after about 5 minutes I was panting heavily and after the 15 minute run it took me quite a while longer to catch my breath while panting very heavily. Even when I was out of shape at other times in my life and smoked I don't remember the breathing being such a problem for me. I have no allergies to any of the ingredients in any of the juice I vape and I am a moderate vaper (about 3-5 mls a day in a carto tank).

Does anyone here exercise regularly and vape daily?

So is vaping any better for my lungs when it comes to exercise?
:oops:

Buggs5347

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Arizona
How long has it been since you had your last cig?

Since it's been about a year since you last ran, you can lose a lot of stamina. Weather could be a factor. Lots of things. Try training like the couch to 5K programs to build your stamina up over the next 6 weeks.

Last year at this time, I was running 5K's and still smoking 3 packs a day. Then I quit running in January. I couldn't run a 5K today if my life depended on it. I'm just getting ready to start training again. I'm hoping it's even easier on me since I'm not using the cigs.

nocturn4l3030

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2011
South Bay, CA
you'll probably have more luck in the health forums... but if you search in google

site:www.e-cigarette-forum.com exercise running

you'll see there's mixed results in older threads. some can exercise and run much further than whrn they were smoking cigarettes, and others too are complaining about it seems like running is much harder on the lungs now. VG seems to be a suspected culprit..but no one really knows.

id love to hear more experiences from everyone too

myyrkezaan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2012
Clayton, NC
I get tennis lessons on Tuesday night and Saturday afternoon, started getting them when smoking. At first there was absolutely no stamina, but it started getting better as I had more lessons. Missed 4 (2 weeks) lessons due due to weather and noticed the 1st one back was like I had started over.

Switched to vaping on a Saturday night, 8 cigs on Sunday, last cig that evening. The tennis lesson on Tuesday was noticeably better, less huffing and lasting longer after 2 days of not smoking.

Not sure about my juice ratios.

Syav

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2012
Minnesota
So I just decided to go for a run for the first time in almost a year, and since that time I've gained about ten pounds. I am not in the best shape of my life (6'2" 220 lbs.) and I realize that, but when I went for the run after about 5 minutes I was panting heavily and after the 15 minute run it took me quite a while longer to catch my breath while panting very heavily. Even when I was out of shape at other times in my life and smoked I don't remember the breathing being such a problem for me. I have no allergies to any of the ingredients in any of the juice I vape and I am a moderate vaper (about 3-5 mls a day in a carto tank).

Does anyone here exercise regularly and vape daily?

So is vaping any better for my lungs when it comes to exercise?
:oops:

Yup give it a couple weeks and your stamina should improve. Provided you keep jogging 2-3 times a week, of course. Sometimes when I lift weights, I vape in between my workout sets (not that I recommend it). When I used to smoke cigarettes, there was no way in hell I could smoke a cigarette and workout at the same time.

birdofparadise

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2010
I quit smoking and started vaping over two years ago, I run about 9 to 12 miles a week, sometimes even more. I could not do this when I used to smoke. You need to gradually build up your level of exercise, it takes time if you have been inactive for a while. You should, however, visit your doctor before you get into any strenuous workout to get his approval and guidance. There are so many benefits to being active, not only weight loss, your energy level increases greatly, I highly recommend it. By the way, I use to smoke a pack a day for 32 years, I normally vape about 3 to 5 mls per day of PG/VG mixtures. I hear it takes about 7 years to get your lungs cleared from smoking, in my case, I am amazed I have been able to attain this goal.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I do work out, though because of a knee issue (reconstructive surgery), running is out the question for me. I have found that if you are going to work out/run in the morning, just don't vape prior to exercise. Or whenever you exercise, just don't vape for about an hour prior. I can't speak to whether or not anything is going on in your lungs per se, but I know that if I do get winded, it doesn't feel like it did before when I felt like my chest was full of sand.

p.s. Just keep at it, your conditioning will improve.

Kenho21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2012
The Mitten
The more I think about it the more it seems likely that it's just a stamina issue. Like I said before, I've never been this out of shape in my life before and being only 27 years old I can't come up with a good excuse. I'm gonna keep at it, just got a gym membership to a place right down the street from me.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
The more I think about it the more it seems likely that it's just a stamina issue. Like I said before, I've never been this out of shape in my life before and being only 27 years old I can't come up with a good excuse. I'm gonna keep at it, just got a gym membership to a place right down the street from me.

I have seen anecdotal evidence across the web talking about vaping too close to working out, i work out myself but i dont touch the vape while doing it, Im not in a gym but i do get my exercise, and i notice if I vape too much before I begin theres no problems but it does feel like the first few minutes of breathing are kinda restricted and then seems to wear off.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
It can take from 1 to 9 months to see the improvement in your lungs. It depends on the individual. The first thing you will notice after quitting is an increase in congestion as your lungs begin to wake up and expel the crap you accumulated from years of smoking. The cilia begin to recover and grow back. That enables the lungs to clear themselves of all sorts of things that used to make you hack and cough to get out.

vap3r3r

Verified Member
Oct 25, 2012
London, UK
I recently converted to vaping, but work out about 5 times a week, even when I was smoking. There have been some noticeable positive effects for me at least. I find that I am at least able to build capacity much better now. My muscles react better to both endurance and strength exercises. The only thing I have to keep on top of is my water intake as vaping dries me out something fierce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread