Vaping hurting my breathing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Thanks guys. I'll take a vitamin and switch my toothpaste.

I have been ignoring the shortness of breath as a sensitivity to vaping and have been cutting back a bit and thought no big deal. I went to the doctor for something unrelated today and wasnt told my oxygen level until I was handed a slip with my vitals when I was leaving. I didn't look at it until I got home and realized my oxygen was only 94%. I realized in retrospect that is probably why the nurse came in and asked me if I felt lightheaded or faint. Which I did not.

I don't know how much I trust vaping anymore. It contains formaldehyde, yes it is lower level than cigarettes but then again the molecules are bigger and who knows how that affects our lungs. Then there is the diacetyl thing, yes it is a small fraction of the diacetyl in cigarettes but who knows what THAT molecule size is and how it will affect us?

Also, my lungs are not damaged from the pulmonary embolism I had a few years ago.
:facepalm:
mike

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
Why do you continue vaping?
I think I'm going to just stop it all together. I have two impacted wisdom teeth (can't get into the dentist until March) that have been hurting lately after previously not bothering me, and I think it is probably from dry mouth from vaping... maybe causing infection. Sucks because I like it a lot nowadays.
Highly dubious. My overall gum health has increased nearly 100% in two years of vaping. I get gold stars from my dental hygienist and dentist. I would lay odds your wisdom teeth issue has zero to do with vaping. Did I just get trolled[emoji44]

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
What's weird is I have only ever had 3 wisdom teeth.... the bottom right one has never existed in my jaw. My bottom left, the first to come in, had 4 roots. The dentist didn't see them in the x-ray and a couple of them broke off while he was pulling my tooth. He was able to somehow dig them out, apparently. I have a weird mouth. I also wound up with dry socket, and this was all a couple of days before i was in the hospital for pulmonary embolism actually and I didn't have any treatment for the dry socket in the hospital for the first day or two. They gave me a syringe and some saline but it was really hard to flush it out, I was in so much pain and they'd just give me ibuprofen or some other ineffective pain medicine. After the first day or two my parents brought me a curved syringe from the dentist, helped so much. I'm nervous about dry socket when I get these two pulled.

Heh! Not to one-up you, but I've only had two wisdom teeth. Apparently I didn't get any in my lower mouth. At least, none showed up on the fancy spin-around-your-head x-ray machine the surgeon used; which I've never done at my normal dentist. Proper space-age IMO. Thankfully I didn't get any of this dreaded dry socket after removing one of the two.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
Impacted wisdom teeth are often infections waiting to happen. Happened to me a couple months ago. Had to get it removed. If your dentist is anything like mine, all you need from him/her is a referral to a wossname (jaw? oral?) surgeon. Which you shouldn't need to wait/pay for an appointment to get. Or, just google up a clinic with a wossname surgeon and give them a call. Where I live, at least, ordinary dentists usually don't deal with impacted wisdom teeth. Takes a more specialized skill set than just yanking them out like ordinary, more easily available teeth. Anyway... you shouldn't have to wait 3 months to get an infection sorted.
I have had both Periodontists and oral surgeons do dental extractions. I have had a dentist do one as well but he was a close friend of mine[emoji12]

Reactions: WattWick

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
is atomization in e-cigarettes capable of causing chemical changes?

The chemical changes you speak of would / could only happen to the free radicals in cytotoxic compounds.
The WHOLE premise of e ciggs is that they are a risk reduction, NOT risk elimination, are there toxins in the air you breath ?
Are there contaminates in your drinking water ? could you die from drinking to many mountain dew's ?
You obviously haven't inhaled the 4,889 known toxic / cancer causing chemicals for 20 plus years that causes about 1 of every five deaths in the US , so I don't expect you to understand that when your facing COPD, cutting down to 7 compounds just makes more sense to me and chantix or patches don't, and if you think for one minute big tobacco is going to roll over and let vaping take over, just you keep reading the non scientific study's that are pure manipulation and how come so many in just the last few months ? .They buy more than tobacco PMI’s Lobbying Campaign to Undermine the TPD - TobaccoTactics.
Why Did Philip Morris Spend More Than Anyone Else Lobbying The E.U.?
Lobbying Spending Database - Philip Morris International, 2015 | OpenSecrets

Reactions: MMW

sincerelysasquatch

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
usa
The chemical changes you speak of would / could only happen to the free radicals in cytotoxic compounds.
The WHOLE premise of e ciggs is that they are a risk reduction, NOT risk elimination, are there toxins in the air you breath ?
Are there contaminates in your drinking water ? could you die from drinking to many mountain dew's ?
You obviously haven't inhaled the 4,889 known toxic / cancer causing chemicals for 20 plus years that causes about 1 of every five deaths in the US , so I don't expect you to understand that when your facing COPD, cutting down to 7 compounds just makes more sense to me and chantix or patches don't, and if you think for one minute big tobacco is going to roll over and let vaping take over, just you keep reading the non scientific study's that are pure manipulation and how come so many in just the last few months ? .They buy more than tobacco PMI’s Lobbying Campaign to Undermine the TPD - TobaccoTactics.
Why Did Philip Morris Spend More Than Anyone Else Lobbying The E.U.?
Lobbying Spending Database - Philip Morris International, 2015 | OpenSecrets
Patches are actually pretty good. I used them for about a month and quit for 6. Then you are not inhaling anything. They are pricey though, and we can't afford them right now. Got some free ones on the way for my husband, two weeks' worth, and hopefully by the time they come and are used up we can afford a couple more weeks of them for him.

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
Where are you getting your study information that formaldehyde is a product of atomizing the eliquid ?
How do you have an understanding of "when you atomize a substance the chemicals in it can change in the vapor vs. the original substance", when you don't even know what creates "it" nor the word for that reaction ?
And now, (well in 2012) we have a 42 yro women with the first diagnosed case of fire-eater's lung, from the glycerin-based oils found in e-cigarette nicotine vapor after 7 months of use, and of course it was confirmed from the juice (or wherever she bought it) manufacture of the purity of the vg they were using, are there different kinds of vg, yes, the petroleum based vg is unrefined, was it a pure USP food grade vg ? you would think that would have made a pretty decent case in the court room as well as a large settlement especially with Wayne Watson wining 7 million that same year just one state away.
Misinformation brought to you by BT and BP. When will people actually research these sort of FACTS for themselves?!?

67eccb5ac0dab5b30255ea3752059884.jpg

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

sincerelysasquatch

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
usa
Welp. I guess I am allergic. Now if I take a puff or two my skin starts itching. It happens to me with a lot of stuff. Could probably be what was going on before... allergies tend to worsen with exposure over time. I get the itchy skin allergy symptom with a bunch of stuff. I am trying a pretty basic coconut liquid right now that I haven't tried before to see if it is any better but I am starting to get itchy with that, too. I have a lot of allergies so it doesn't surprise me, but I didn't have any allergies to any e-liquids before that I know of. Then again, I didn't have any allergies at all until about 5 years ago and I seem to get a new allergy every month these days :(
My husband promised to quit when he ran out of his pipe tobacco, and he ran out yesterday so he has inherited my little bit of vaping stuff. So far he says it is "alright" and it "helps enough."

Reactions: MMW

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Welp. I guess I am allergic. Now if I take a puff or two my skin starts itching. It happens to me with a lot of stuff. Could probably be what was going on before... allergies tend to worsen with exposure over time. I get the itchy skin allergy symptom with a bunch of stuff. I am trying a pretty basic coconut liquid right now that I haven't tried before to see if it is any better but I am starting to get itchy with that, too. I have a lot of allergies so it doesn't surprise me, but I didn't have any allergies to any e-liquids before that I know of. Then again, I didn't have any allergies at all until about 5 years ago and I seem to get a new allergy every month these days :(
My husband promised to quit when he ran out of his pipe tobacco, and he ran out yesterday so he has inherited my little bit of vaping stuff. So far he says it is "alright" and it "helps enough."

You definitely need to see a...............ummmm................Doctor.:unsure:

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
DR Asp, my chest gets tight and my spirometry test came back a little lower than normal, I only vape 20 mls a day of high VG, do you think I should try and raise the VG level and up my daily use to 30mls @ a higher wattage?
You need to study more for your tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread