What are the most common complaints about the ProVari?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreekLion

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2012
United States
previous owner. complaints are poor battery life, lack of features and expense vs current crop of vw devices coming out of china. also build quality while good, is highly overrated. Mine had machining marks and while the case is bombproof it does little to protect the circuitry inside from a good jolt. long story short provape has a huge task ahead of them if they want to catch up and stay relevant and an even bigger job in proving that they are still "inno-vape-tors"

edit: also maybe mine was just flunky but in the menu it would often freeze up, resulting i my pushing the button more then necessary. then when it finally caught up id have to cycle back through the menu again. im sorry but for as much as they charge for it, it shouldnt be using a brain that cant keep up. low power intergrated circuits are cheap
im happy to report the zmax rev2 is a lot more responsive, though it brings its own quirks to the table

You bring up a lot of interesting points. If you were going to recommend an alternative to the ProVari if someone was looking for 'the best', what would you point them towards (price being not a huge factor)?

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
a lot of the provari was built around the premise of reliability and ease of use not nifty cool features. like the switch - people complain but this switch is used by the military for its ruggedness. and the screen, again one of the toughest type of displays available.
and no matter what nifty new feature comes out there is a simple reason it ALL gets compaired to a provari...

even people like pbusardo and scott bonner who are surrounded by tons of cool gear still use the provari above all others.

with that being said my only complaint is no matter how much i beg them they wont build me a titanium one..................

Last edited:

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Mine does exactly what I want it to do. A very consistent vape - all the time, every time. It's never seen a pedestal but has seen a LOT of other things, and has the scratches and scrapes to prove it. This sucker LIVES its life to the fullest (I'm actually envious...).

Man, now I'm depressed. I'm being outpaced by a battery tube.

inanitydefined

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
On a rock floating through space
You bring up a lot of interesting points. If you were going to recommend an alternative to the ProVari if someone was looking for 'the best', what would you point them towards (price being not a huge factor)?

i havent tried many, but anything with the new RMS boost chips should do fantastic. i traded my provari against a smok zmax rev2. i hear the vamo and sigeli zmax are even a little better. the new lavatube v2 is garnering rave reviews. there is another aluminum mod (cvi) based on that chip and a few box mods. Jaunty and Joyetech both have new devices but they both need some ironing out first. its a question of how much do you want to spend and the answer no longer has to be "a lot" to get a high quality regulated variable voltage device

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
I've actually been looking for some solid reviews of the LT2 but haven't had much luck? Can you point me to some please? I like the design and LOVE the blue color, but don't want to invest until I'm confident their performance has improved from the L-Rider version I had about 9 months ago. The amp limit made me cranky because I use 1.5 cartos at 4.2 volts.

And yes, I've heard all the comments about that combo being a "waste". It's not that for me - it's what keeps me from smoking and THAT'S all that counts.

But I digressed; if you can steer me to some of those reviews, I'd be greatly appreciative. Thanks!

inanitydefined:8169093 said:

i havent tried many, but anything with the new RMS boost chips should do fantastic. i traded my provari against a smok zmax rev2. i hear the vamo and sigeli zmax are even a little better. the new lavatube v2 is garnering rave reviews. there is another aluminum mod (cvi) based on that chip and a few box mods. Jaunty and Joyetech both have new devices but they both need some ironing out first. its a question of how much do you want to spend and the answer no longer has to be "a lot" to get a high quality regulated variable voltage device

GreekLion

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2012
United States

so are you saying that these devices will comparably perform to a ProVari in terms of consistent vape? i am not that well-versed in when it comes to chips and such.

inanitydefined

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
I've actually been looking for some solid reviews of the LT2 but haven't had much luck? Can you point me to some please? I like the design and LOVE the blue color, but don't want to invest until I'm confident their performance has improved from the L-Rider version I had about 9 months ago. The amp limit made me cranky because I use 1.5 cartos at 4.2 volts.

And yes, I've heard all the comments about that combo being a "waste". It's not that for me - it's what keeps me from smoking and THAT'S all that counts.

But I digressed; if you can steer me to some of those reviews, I'd be greatly appreciative. Thanks!

A PBusardo Review - LAVATUBE Version 2 - YouTube
Volcano Lavatube Version 2 Review

so are you saying that these devices will comparably perform to a ProVari in terms of consistent vape? i am not that well-versed in when it comes to chips and such.

in my opinion the zmax with RMS setting provides as consistent and reliable a vape as the provari. i dont like that it makes an almost rattlesnake like noise when it fires (this is the smok zmax. others may not. its due to the low frequency of the pwm) but if thats the price for nearly twice the battery life i will gladly pay it
edit: dont jiust take my word for it. this has been covered heavily around here especially by the vamo group and these devices really do set and keep theor voltage accurately. a quick search will find the all the data on it

Last edited:

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Thanks ID!

inanitydefined:8170116 said:

in my opinion the zmax with RMS setting provides as consistent and reliable a vape as the provari. i dont like that it makes an almost rattlesnake like noise when it fires (this is the smok zmax. others may not. its due to the low frequency of the pwm) but if thats the price for nearly twice the battery life i will gladly pay it
edit: dont jiust take my word for it. this has been covered heavily around here especially by the vamo group and these devices really do set and keep theor voltage accurately. a quick search will find the all the data on it

tc1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Ohio
The biggest con these days for the Provari ... honestly ... It's somewhat outdated. Newer devices out there provide things like variable wattage, easier menu systems, and different battery configurations at no extra cost.

Still a great device and well worth the "cost of admission". It's simply isn't the be all ... end all it use to be. It does hold its value more than just about any other device out on the market though ... that's for sure.

GreekLion

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2012
United States

It almost sounds from what you're saying is that besides the build quality, compared to the zmax the ProVari may only be a status symbol. Im just left wondering what I could have done with the $150 difference...not that I'm unhappy with my ProVari but WOW.

inanitydefined

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
The biggest con these days for the Provari ... honestly ... It's somewhat outdated. Newer devices out there provide things like variable wattage, easier menu systems, and different battery configurations at no extra cost.

Still a great device and well worth the "cost of admission". It's simply isn't the be all ... end all it use to be. It does hold its value more than just about any other device out on the market though ... that's for sure.

this is it in a nutshell. dont get me wrong the provari is a very well put together device and is made to a higher level of fit and finish. but it no longer can be said that it provides the best vaping experience

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
this is it in a nutshell. dont get me wrong the provari is a very well put together device and is made to a higher level of fit and finish. but it no longer can be said that it provides the best vaping experience

It does for me and thats all that really matters. People who complain about the Provari not having all the bells and whistles and being "behind the times" evidently dont understand what milspec is. Its built to last, not only that but its designed and engineered to last from start to finish with every single component.

More buttons, more bells and whistles equals more chances for failure and half of the "advancements" on the market right now arent needed anyway.

Last edited:

GreekLion

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2012
United States

I commend you for your bravery posting this in a ProVari forum :toast:

I am curious about your current loadout (apv, juice, feed, carto, tank, etc....). A lot of people have considered the ProVari the key factor in their own best vaping experience and it would be interesting to see what you use to make your best experience.

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
My complaint is that I only have 2 and I need more to match all my drip tips... Oh and They still don't sell a hot pink sparkly one:mad:

Funny you mention this. I just finished ordering my third. Now have a Silver, Black, and Blue Mini. Thats it for me!! I order one more and you will see me on divorce court!

tc1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Ohio
It does for me and thats all that really matters. People who complain about the Provari not having all the bells and whistles and being "behind the times" evidently dont understand what milspec is. Its built to last, not only that but its designed and engineered to last from start to finish with every component.

It's not a complaint, it's just fact.

Some people want variable wattage.
Some people want quick and easy menus.
Some people want an all in one device with no extra costs involved.
etc etc

That doesn't take away from what the Provari IS ... rather states what the Provari can not provide.

If someone is looking for something the Provari can't provide ... you don't just completely dismiss their wants and recommend a Provari "because it works and lasts". Everyone is different and thus, has different needs and wants.

I never recommend a device simply because I use and love it. What I might like, someone else might hate. So it really comes down to what a person is looking for in a device. Every device has its shortcomings ... no need to dismiss them. There is NO perfect device for everyone on this planet. There is no right or wrong opinion ... it's highly subjective.

Last edited:

GreekLion

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2012
United States
use I use and love it. What I might like, someone else might hate. So it really comes down to what a person is looking for in a device.

Very true. The ProVari has so far delivered everything I need although at a questionable price, but I don't really regret it.

I wouldn't recommend a Corolla to a family of ten, just like I wouldn't follow a suggestion from Arnold to buy a tank to get to work.:)

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
If Provape catered to every single vaper out there and gave them what most think they want we'd have another version of the Evic on our hands.

Thats also a fact and from where Im sitting that isnt turning so well. I just saw a facebook pic of one with the head completely snapped off.

They key to success in life is to focus on a bare handful of things and do them EXTREMELY well. I think the Provari does that better than almost any pv out there.

Not trying to start an argument here just trying to point out what I think should be obvious.

Last edited:

tc1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Ohio
That exactly the point. NO company can cater to every person needs. So the cons of the Provari can only be the things it either does not do or does not do well. The Provari does everything it does well, so that only leaves what it doesn't do.

So if your one of the people who wants something the Provari can't provide ... best look elsewhere. Otherwise, you can't really go wrong with a Provari. It does everything it states it does exceptionally well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread