Status
Not open for further replies.

erich

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I've never had a Darwin, and that's the only existing wattage-based vv mod that I'm aware of. It does sound appealing to be able to change attys without having to retune it like I do with the provari.

Also, FFS if it's vv, give it dedicated buttons for voltage and locking. Don't get me wrong, I love my provari. It's a bullet-proof workhorse that's masterfully crafted. The menu downright sucks, though. It's a bad user experience. People get their feathers ruffled when anyone says so, but the lavatube tops the provari on usability. To lock a provari, you have to click the button 9 times, wait 2 seconds, then press it again until the display reads, 'of'. It takes a lot of clicks to get to various functions, and it's occasionally just laggy enough that you've hit it once too many and have to wait for it to time out and start over. I actually catch myself thinking, "I'll just put it in my jacket pocket so I don't have to bother with locking it." Ask the same people that defend it if they'd rather send text messages on an iPhone or an old style 12 button phone... same concept.

Sorry, rant over. ;)

Also, were I to have my perfect provari, it would be aluminum. The thing is quite hefty. I picked up my much larger silver bullet the other day (admittedly a rare occurrence since the provari arrived) and almost threw it over my shoulder. :)

MastiffMike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2009
Dogville Estate
One comment about the Kick: The pot appears to be on the bottom (top?) and therefore requires you to remove the battery to adjust. If the pot could be turned onto it's side, with a keyway put in to prevent the whole unit from spinning, you could conceivable access the pot from outside the body of the unit by simply having a hole in the correct location. Even better yet, figure out how to attach a small know from outside through the hole to the pot and you wouldn't even need a screw driver.

So if the Kick is the future (and I think it IS the immediate future, until something better comes along or v2) it'd be nice to make it user friendly!

----------------------------------
Sorry, i'll quit monopolizing the thread now! Probably.... Maybe.... hopefully.... doubtful.... prognosis poor.... :D

inanitydefined

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
On a rock floating through space
I really have to protest using the kick circuitry. I was all gung ho about it when I first saw it. And while I'll still admit it has its pros, it has one huge con that makes it useless to my vape style. 10w limit (last I checked anyway). That's lower than a provari, which I would not spend the money on for a similar reason. A 1.5ohm atty on a charger fresh 18650 imr will give 11w after voltage drop. I take my vape high wattage, 11-12w regularly with the occasional 1.5dcc and stacked lifepo4 (not often though, I don't want to burn out my switch). Stacked battery vv is the only style I will consider until something else comes along that can do more than 12w

erich

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2011
Atlanta, GA
The intent of the kick was to take a 18650 mod and convert it to a VV. If you're starting from scratch, there are better ways to do it.

See this post:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/191607-easy-okr-t-vv-mod.html#post3302009

And then see this one, which expands on it to give you the ability to have dead battery cutout.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/193434-low-voltage-cut-out.html#post3350687

I've built an ugly but working one of them that could be the guts of any mod that can give it 7.4v stacked (any two 3.7 batts). Could do the zener modification with more than one path if you wanted a state where it gives you warning for low. Mine just stops when the batteries drop to about .1 volt below the lower bound, but we could have a second circuit that makes a blinky LED when it gets to some point around +.5v.

Here's mine.
attachment.php

MastiffMike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2009
Dogville Estate
The intent of the kick was to take a 18650 mod and convert it to a VV. If you're starting from scratch, there are better ways to do it.

See this post:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/191607-easy-okr-t-vv-mod.html#post3302009

And then see this one, which expands on it to give you the ability to have dead battery cutout.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/193434-low-voltage-cut-out.html#post3350687

I've built an ugly but working one of them that could be the guts of any mod that can give it 7.4v stacked (any two 3.7 batts). Could do the zener modification with more than one path if you wanted a state where it gives you warning for low. Mine just stops when the batteries drop to about .1 volt below the lower bound, but we could have a second circuit that makes a blinky LED when it gets to some point around +.5v.

Here's mine.
attachment.php

Correct me if I'm wrong (entirely possible and happens entirely too frequently!) but that board REQUIRES 2 batts, while the kick is a booster requiring only 1. To me, I'd MUCH rather go the one battery solution!

I agree, if starting from scratch there are a lot of options, possibly even better ways, however for the mod challenged like me, I mention the Kick only as a way to show what's possible and in what size format. Could more functionality be installed in less space? If so that'd be awesome!

MastiffMike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2009
Dogville Estate
Yeah, that particular one is a step down regulator. There are step ups, which use a single cell and is what's in the kick. My main point being that it seems kind of silly to build a mod for a kick... if you have the foresight to know you want vv, just build it in.

I agree! I just finished my first mod (http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/260860-no-laughing-my-skills.html) and since I don't have the skills, tools, ability, knowledge, etc. I went ahead and made it Kick compatible. But ideally any new commercial mod would rely on someone else's drop in guts! Build it in (though replaceable isn't a bad idea!) and build it FOR the mod.

IMO here's what the electronics should have:
Adjustable wattage (and voltage if not hugely impactful to the size or price)
Multi-function display of some sort (small lcd would be ideal, think half the size of a cheapo calculator display)
Battery charge indicator (ideally as part of the lcd display)
Charging status (also part of the display)
Easily adjustable, and settible, voltage/wattage
USB connection (for charging? or just for passthru) Personally this doesn't matter to me, but I know there's lots of people who would want USB.
All necessary protection circuits including some sort of master "off" setting for pocketability

Ideally it would be able to work off 1 battery (to keep size down) but maybe has the option to run 2 (for increased battery life). Oh and the batteries HAVE to be user replaceable (even if it's a somewhat proprietory battery, users should be able to purchase extras and swap them out).

hildicat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2011
SoCal
I agree! I just finished my first mod (http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/260860-no-laughing-my-skills.html) and since I don't have the skills, tools, ability, knowledge, etc. I went ahead and made it Kick compatible. But ideally any new commercial mod would rely on someone else's drop in guts! Build it in (though replaceable isn't a bad idea!) and build it FOR the mod.

IMO here's what the electronics should have:
Adjustable wattage (and voltage if not hugely impactful to the size or price)
Multi-function display of some sort (small lcd would be ideal, think half the size of a cheapo calculator display)
Battery charge indicator (ideally as part of the lcd display)
Charging status (also part of the display)
Easily adjustable, and settible, voltage/wattage
USB connection (for charging? or just for passthru) Personally this doesn't matter to me, but I know there's lots of people who would want USB.
All necessary protection circuits including some sort of master "off" setting for pocketability

Ideally it would be able to work off 1 battery (to keep size down) but maybe has the option to run 2 (for increased battery life). Oh and the batteries HAVE to be user replaceable (even if it's a somewhat proprietory battery, users should be able to purchase extras and swap them out).

can i add to this list a juice feed system, bottom or top. I dont like tanks and want to get away from cartos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread