Status
Not open for further replies.

Xaria

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2011
Back in the Holler-VA
I have vaped in different places. College football games, restaurants, even a winery. My most unique place has been the Appalachian Trail. It gives me such joy to visit someplace and do something that is safe for the environment that is surrounding me. You figure with a cigarette, you have someone who might litter or create a fire situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ambition

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2012
Australia
So what's your solution. Do we just hide in a corner and let them continue to think vapor is smoke because we're afraid that the might be exposed to vapor and be offended by the truth? Should we just hang around and wait for the FDA to convince them? What good does that do?

If they are exposed to a real live vaper and they refuse to listen to reason and their minds are made up and they've already formed an opinion not based on fact, then what's the loss? If they already have an ill opinion of vaping, an inconsiderate vaper isn't going to change it one way or the other, and nobody is saying to be inconsiderate anyway.

Sorry, but the whole scenario you're painting makes no sense. If they're offended because they think it's smoke then what do you do? Do you just let them continue to think it's smoke? They're going to be offended one way or the other. At least if you try to explain that it isn't smoke, you have a fighting chance.

You've describe a picture where someone has all these strong feelings and it's futile to try to do anything to change them. So, we are supposed to hide in a corner and hope they miraculously have an epiphany and change their minds? Based on what? All those "considerate" vapers hanging around in the smoking area? Either those people are going to be exposed to the truth or they're going to be supporting the next vaping ban. If they won't hear the truth, then they just won't. We haven't lost a thing in trying.

I hate to make this comparison, but that is the exact same argument that was made when they de-segregated the armed forces and later the schools and, more recently, when they allowed gays to openly serve n the military. People are emotional. You can't change feelings. They'll dig in their heels. You can't force it. They don't want their feelings challenged. You can't educate them against their will. Same old same old.

It was a bogus argument then and it's a bogus argument now.

Be as combative as you want.

I'm saying people should be considerate of other peoples feelings and try not to get into situations where you're educating people about vaping from a defensive position.

tinajfreeman

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
I vape anywhere and everywhere if I feel like it. I don't HAVE to vape all day long, so I don't necessarily vape in public everywhere. On the other hand, if I am in the mood for a vape, or I am bored waiting for a plane or something...I vape. I don't hide or even stealth most of the time, but I don't get in people's faces with it either. I generally sit off to myself if I can.

But I never go to the smokers area. I am an ex-smoker and don't want to inhale other people's smoke any more.

Nobody has ever complained or stopped me.

Sec

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Oh Canada
I vape everywhere now. I just got tired of trying to hide it all the time.

Funny story: About a month ago a frined and I along with our wives were at a bar. We sat in a booth and were drinking a few brews and stelth vaping the whole time. When we got up to leave my wife noticed that the booth next to us had 4 people there vaping away openly on their egos!!

Up until then I hadnt seen anyone vaping in public. I went over to them and started talking about e-cigs. They were happy to show off their gear and the 2 (really hot) ladies in the group seemed very happy to put my Volt in their mouths and give it a try. Since then I dont give a rats ...! lol

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Be as combative as you want.

I'm saying people should be considerate of other peoples feelings and try not to get into situations where you're educating people about vaping from a defensive position.

I'm not trying to be combative. Reason dictates that it's difficult to educate when you're hiding and hiding is the only sure way to avoid finding yourself in a defensive position. If you don't hide, you're going to get questions. Sometimes you'll encounter a hostile, although it's rare IME. But you can't know in advance and that's just the chance you take. You can't know if you'll be educating from a defensive position until the situation arises. That doesn't mean you put yourself in a position where nobody will approach you, like in a smoking area. It also doesn't mean you show no consideration whatsoever and blow vapor in people's face.

Vape where it's not prohibited. If a hostile approaches you and won't be amenable to reason, blow him off. Ignore him. You were never going to change his mind anyway, you haven't made him more hostile and you've lost nothing. For every hostile you encounter, you'll get many inquires from reasonable people. Don't bathe the baby in a dirty tub because you're afraid of throwing him out with the bathwater.

Last edited:

ambition

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2012
Australia
I'm not trying to be combative. Reason dictates that it's difficult to educate when you're hiding and hiding is the only sure way to avoid finding yourself in a defensive position. If you don't hide, you're going to get questions. Sometimes you'll encounter a hostile, although it's rare IME. But you can't know in advance and that's just the chance you take. You can't know if you'll be educating from a defensive position until the situation arises. That doesn't mean you put yourself in a position where nobody will approach you, like in a smoking area. It also doesn't mean you show no consideration whatsoever and blow vapor in people's face.

Vape where it's not prohibited. If a hostile approaches you and won't be amenable to reason, blow him off. Ignore him. You were never going to change his mind anyway, you haven't made him more hostile and you've lost nothing. For every hostile you encounter, you'll get many inquires from reasonable people. Don't bathe the baby in a dirty tub because you're afraid of throwing him out with the bathwater.

That's right, hiding isn't the answer.

Though I find my ecig related interactions to be far more positive with smokers, there has to be some kind of middle ground somewhere in between hiding with the smokers and vaping wherever you damn well please.

I know you and some others disagree that vaping in restaurants and shops just isn't necessary, but maybe if that's what you want to do, then some kind of organized effort to recruit and create vape friendly venues with signage would be a better way than p'ing people off first then allaying their concerns later.

Acceptance with the general public would be better achieved with a top down approach, and getting local government onside will be better achieved with a bottom up approach.

The solution...start in the middle.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
That's right, hiding isn't the answer.

Though I find my ecig related interactions to be far more positive with smokers, there has to be some kind of middle ground somewhere in between hiding with the smokers and vaping wherever you damn well please.

I know you and some others disagree that vaping in restaurants and shops just isn't necessary, but maybe if that's what you want to do, then some kind of organized effort to recruit and create vape friendly venues with signage would be a better way than p'ing people off first then allaying their concerns later.

Acceptance with the general public would be better achieved with a top down approach, and getting local government onside will be better achieved with a bottom up approach.

The solution...start in the middle.

That's the difference between our attitudes. You presuppose that vaping is wrong and the vaper is needful of prior permission lest he be taken to task by some random anti-tobacco zealot. I don't approach it like I'm doing something wrong and I need to get permission first.
I don't vape "wherever I damn well please" either. If I'm asked not to by a responsible person, or if it's illegal or otherwise inappropriate, I won't vape.

In the absence of signage to the contrary, I don't assume it's prohibited to enter a store chewing gum or with a cup of coffee in my hand. I shouldn't have to ask prior permission for those things and I shouldn't have to ask permission to vape either. As long as I'm not being obnoxious about something, and it's not prohibited, I have every right to assume I can do it. If a store or restaurant, or whatever, doesn't want you to do something legal and inoffensive to reasonable people, I expect them to put up signage. Just like they put up signage about smoking or food or drinks, or any number of otherwise innocuous things.

You are endowing any random stranger with the right to create a disruption, based on his misconceptions and ignorance. Then, you are insisting that vapers conduct themselves in a way that ensures this tiny minority of whack jobs and control freaks and zealots doesn't get the chance to exercise this right you give them to cause a scene. Sorry, I'm not walking on eggshells just in case some ANTZ is around to cause a fuss. Unless they own the place, they have no more right to object to my vaping than I have to vape. If they cause a fuss, they deserve ejection, not me.

Vape friendly places are created. It doesn't take an organization to do it. Most places are vape-indifferent. That's o.k. too.

I don't know where you get this idea that you're pissing people off. If you are asked not to vape, and you stop, that's the end of it. Nobody is ....... If a proprietor is so anti-vape that he's going to get ...... at the mere sight of vapor, he'll have a no-ecig sign or something. That's perfectly within his rights. Heck, if they do it for everything else, why not e-cigs if they're against it? Proprietors put up no-smoking signs even when it was legal to smoke in public places. Why would they handle ecigs any different? If something is otherwise legal and not disruptive behavior, I expect to be notified if a premise prohibits it. Otherwise, I'll assume it's acceptable. I dont' equate smoking and vaping. Why should I assume that if you shouldn't smoke in a place, you also shouldn't vape there?

Maybe some vapers equate smoking and vaping. That's a remnant of the smoking mentality. I don't have it. I'm not smoking. Why should I observe the prohibitions and restriction on smoking?

As for the general public, like I said. The only people likely to get ...... off, or at least stay that way, are the ANTZ. Frankly, I couldn't care less about them. They are the enemy. They'll remain the enemy. No amount of appeasement or courtesy or consideration from us will make one iota of difference. I'm not interested in what their attitudes are. I already know. I'm interested in the smoking and non-smoking general public and there's no evidence to suggest they get angry just from the mere presence of vapor, as long as no one invades their space with plumes of it.

Like I have said before. If everyone who smoked anywhere and everywhere in 1950 was vaping instead, there would be no restrictions on public vaping today. Public smoking wasn't prohibited because people were annoyed with the aroma of coffee or blueberry pie wafting about in a transient puff of vapor. If cigarettes never existed and PV's were the only nicotine delivery device ever invented, all this would never even be a question. It would be no different than chewing gum. Only the hyper-sensitive control freaks would be offended.

Last edited:

ambition

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2012
Australia
I think the diplomatic word for your post would be passionate, but I reckon you just like to argue.

For every person that says something about someone vaping in public you could suppose that there are a dozen others that keep their feelings to themselves at the time yet still form an opinion.

Are you opposed to receuiting proprietors, publicans, merchants and restaurateurs to help us in our bid for acceptance and education?

Maybe it's just a case of culture, the attitude of do it until someone says stop wouldn't fly very well here. People like that tend to be taken down a few pegs very quickly where I'm from.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
I think the diplomatic word for your post would be passionate, but I reckon you just like to argue.

For every person that says something about someone vaping in public you could suppose that there are a dozen others that keep their feelings to themselves at the time yet still form an opinion.

Are you opposed to receuiting proprietors, publicans, merchants and restaurateurs to help us in our bid for acceptance and education?

Maybe it's just a case of culture, the attitude of do it until someone says stop wouldn't fly very well here. People like that tend to be taken down a few pegs very quickly where I'm from.

Why would I suppose so many people are against vaping yet say nothing? People aren't so reserved around here. Even if I was to suppose it, what difference does it make one way or the other? If they're offended, they'd support a vaping ban anyway, regardless of whether they actually saw someone vaping or not. I'll guarantee you though, that many people who didn't say anything learned the very day they saw me vaping that vaping is not offensive, despite what they may have imagined before they were actually exposed to it.

I'm not at all against recruiting proprietors and publicans. I've recruited at least a dozen or more of them personally, all by myself with no organization behind me. I didn't do it by not vaping either. How many vape-friendly places have you created? The way I view it, I must be doing something right. I've never had a single person ask me to stop vaping or leave their premises either, so I must not be offending anyone that matters.

I don't know what "feelings" you presume people will have. I've had one random stranger confront me and accuse me of smoking. It took all of 10 seconds to explain I wasn't smoking and she walked off. By your own estimation, that one woman represented a dozen people who said nothing. OTOH, I've had more people than I can count ask questions and those people walked away educated, so I'm ahead of that game. Undoubtedly, some ANTZs have seen me vaping and didn't say anything. So what? I couldn't have changed their minds anyway. Their mind is made up. The ANTZ organizations tell them what to think.

Maybe it is just a case of culture. In America, we don't feel like we are in a sea of restrictions, dotted with islands of rights. Rather we are in a sea of rights, dotted with islands of restrictions. We have a legal precept here called the "reasonable man doctrine". What would a "reasonable man" do? In the absence of specific laws, that is the standard of behavior. The presumption is that if it's not dangerous, offensive (to a reasonable man), illegal or otherwise specifically prohibited, then it is permitted by default. We call it freedom.

Along with that freedom comes responsibility to know when to "do it", as you put it. No one has the attitude that they can just do anything "until someone says stop", the way you are suggesting. We are aware of our responsibility to know when something is genuinely rude or otherwise inappropriate. People who can't figure that out are slapped down soon enough here too. OTOH, we don't presume that everything is wrong until someone has given us explicit permission to do it.

Last edited:

ambition

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2012
Australia
Why would I suppose so many people are against vaping yet say nothing? People aren't so reserved around here. Even if I was to suppose it, what difference does it make one way or the other? If they're offended, they'd support a vaping ban anyway, regardless of whether they actually saw someone vaping or not. I'll guarantee you though, that many people who didn't say anything learned the very day they saw me vaping that vaping is not offensive, despite what they may have imagined before they were actually exposed to it.

I'm not at all against recruiting proprietors and publicans. I've recruited at least a dozen or more of them personally, all by myself with no organization behind me. I didn't do it by not vaping either. How many vape-friendly places have you created? The way I view it, I must be doing something right. I've never had a single person ask me to stop vaping or leave their premises either, so I must not be offending anyone that matters.

I don't know what "feelings" you presume people will have. I've had one random stranger confront me and accuse me of smoking. It took all of 10 seconds to explain I wasn't smoking and she walked off. By your own estimation, that one woman represented a dozen people who said nothing. OTOH, I've had more people than I can count ask questions and those people walked away educated, so I'm ahead of that game. Undoubtedly, some ANTZs have seen me vaping and didn't say anything. So what? I couldn't have changed their minds anyway. Their mind is made up. The ANTZ organizations tell them what to think.

Maybe it is just a case of culture. In America, we don't feel like we are in a sea of restrictions, dotted with islands of rights. Rather we are in a sea of rights, dotted with islands of restrictions. We have a legal precept here called the "reasonable man doctrine". What would a "reasonable man" do? In the absence of specific laws, that is the standard of behavior. The presumption is that if it's not dangerous, offensive (to a reasonable man), illegal or otherwise specifically prohibited, then it is permitted by default. We call it freedom.

Along with that freedom comes responsibility to know when to "do it", as you put it. No one has the attitude that they can just do anything "until someone says stop", the way you are suggesting. We are aware of our responsibility to know when something is genuinely rude or otherwise inappropriate. People who can't figure that out are slapped down soon enough here too. OTOH, we don't presume that everything is wrong until someone has given us explicit permission to do it.

Whatever works I suppose.

JungleAgent007

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2011
York, PA

We living in the same country? Yeah, ain't N Korea but as far as right go we started well but spent the next 240 years chopping the .... out of them. Feels like now we're left with the right to pay taxes and die right around retirement.

erictho

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2011
Edmonton
mission accomplished in yet another venue! i attended a concert yesterday, and after i had finished all my drinks/drink tickets i pretty much lost all inhibitions and vaped pretty openly. at this point in the night security was patrolling to stop patrons from smoking indoors and i had to clarify my actions to them. one of the security guards asked me to fork it over so he could confirm it was a pv. it was awesome to enjoy leisurely vaping and watching their "ima bust you faces" turn into smiles.
going through security upon entrance was pretty amusing too.
security lady: is this a pen? /pulls pv from little purse side pocket.
me: no, it's a vaporizer. a nicotine vaporizer.
sl: 0_o /turns pv over in hands
me: like, an electronic cigarette?
sl: if you say so. can you open your purse for me?
me: sure. /opens one pocket, exposes case with backup cartos, liquid, and battery
sl: what's in there?
me: a back up vaporizer. wanna see the other pocket too?
sl: yes i do. (i obviously comply) what's in this? /points to another case, holding my rev2.
me: it's another vaporizer i carry. wanna see it?
sl: that's fine. o_0

i dunno. it just amused me. she seemed to think 3 daily carries was a little excessive, and my purse functions as a glorified pv tote mostly anyways.

Last edited:

Warren D. Lockaby

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
South Carolina, USA
This is exactly how i feel about vaping in public. I guess it comes naturally to me though, because i'm only 24, and for the 8 years that i smoked, you weren't allowed to smoke in restaurants or businesses. So, i guess 8 years of practice and self discipline to not smoke in those places, has led to me not really vaping in those places either. It's not necessarily that i'm uncomfortable vaping in public, it's just that i don't see the need. Seems like vaping in public would be kinda rebellious at this point, and i'm not all that much of a rebellious person.

While I respect your position & thoughts on this, my take is somewhat different: vaping *is not smoking* and if we fail to make a clear distinction between the two we are bowing to the demands of the no-nic Nazis. Personally I dislike Nazis of any sort & generally just choose not to deal with them. Now I don't make a show of it as I might have in my (admittedly rebellious) youth, but if I want to vape I vape. If discretion is indicated I'll vape discretely. If vaping is not allowed I'll decide which is more important to me at the moment, and either wait to vape or leave... either way, remembering why vaping was not allowed in that particular establishment. (If it's a Nazi joint they don't want my business.)

Just a few thoughts from my cave. Happy Vaping! :vapor:

Warren D. Lockaby

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
South Carolina, USA
We living in the same country? Yeah, ain't N Korea but as far as right go we started well but spent the next 240 years chopping the .... out of them. Feels like now we're left with the right to pay taxes and die right around retirement.

Yep, feels like that sometimes. But sailorman is right, we do have the "reasonable man doctrine". It's still somewhat propped up by the tattered remnants of our Constitution & Bill of Rights... which, ironically, many cite but few actually read. Use 'em or lose 'em!

Happy (& Freely) Vaping! :vapor:

rookbartley989

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2012
SoCal
I vape at Disneyland, all over, including the Plaza Inn restaurant patio at the end of Main Street. Nobody have ever said one word. I also vape at the End of Line club in elecTRONica at the couches(this is inside California Adventure). I was asked if I was smoking by one worker, took a drag, let her see the blue light and she said okay and walked off. Never bothered again. Yesterday I vaped on the patio of the Corner Bakery across form the theater at the Tustin Market Place while having coffee and waiting for a movie. Nobody said anything and the entire courtyard is smoke free. Its too bad elecTRONica is closing next weekend to make way for the Mad Hatters Tea Party garbage, I am sure its going to blow...goats that is, not sweet sweet cherry vapor!

Ron -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread