• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Where is the Army?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
av8tor
And to all those currently serving God Bless and Thank You for your service to our Great Nation.

cj2bl_JHzvbdjkdGOhGewE3-TFXoUB6bnuZhrtwvCB9vmsmV5ptGxwEeONGzPQryslBnK-lgQ3eecC7gKGK5y2PG2fxY20TYDCoC=w1335-h526
to you also.

Fuzzy Bruce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2014
Fort Liquordale, Fl.
I do not hang out here in this forum but I am an old soldier. Got out in '83 after 12 years of being a grunt with a shovel and a bag of C-4 AKA Combat Engineer with a secondary MOS as a Construction Surveyor.

Humm, with a name like av8tor, my guess you might be a skid jockey.The Army has more aircraft than the Air Force if you call a helicopter an aircraft.

Fuzzy Bruce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2014
Fort Liquordale, Fl.
Not so fond of choppers, myself. Had a skid splitting hard landing from rotor failure. Fortunately, the pilot was great at autorotation or whatever it is called. Afraid to look down, I looked up to see the rotors bent upwards at what must have been 45 degrees.

We all walked away as the pilot said all landings are just controlled crashes. Not so funny then but I get a chuckle out of it forty+ years later.

Reactions: oldbikeguy

JerryRM

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2009
Rhode Island
I never went up in a chopper. Our unit captain took some of the guys up for a ride, but when it came my turn, I said "no thanks".

The pilot candidates were trained on how to deal with rotor failure. It was called a "dead stick landing". The idea was to come down at a slight angle, so the back of the skids hit the ground first, otherwise the copter might flip on it's nose. That maneuver was practiced a lot and a lot of Hueys ended up in the maintenance hangar for repairs.

When I got to Hunter, U.S. pilots were being trained, but later in '69 -'70, it was South Vietnamese pilots who were being trained there. They were part of Nixon's Vietnamization of the war, program.

Last edited:

av8tor

Mar 21, 2010
Back in the States
I do not hang out here in this forum but I am an old soldier. Got out in '83 after 12 years of being a grunt with a shovel and a bag of C-4 AKA Combat Engineer with a secondary MOS as a Construction Surveyor.

Humm, with a name like av8tor, my guess you might be a skid jockey.The Army has more aircraft than the Air Force if you call a helicopter an aircraft.

Sir,

Not a Heli jockey, Unmanned Air Vehicles but spent many an hour in those things in my day! I am rated though hence the handle! :D

Reactions: Super Flex

jaytex1969

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2015
Austin, TX
I was stationed at Stewart for seven years. 86-93. At the time the 1-75 Ranger Battalion, amongst others, occupied Hunter.

We'd get drunk on River Street and get in fights with Rangers alot. They are tough SOB's...

I flew in a Chinook once and a few Blackhawks, but mainly in the Bradley.

Only thing I really miss is partying on Tybee Island...

Jay :headbang:

Reactions: ArmyVet71

av8tor

Mar 21, 2010
Back in the States
Dangit. Someone forgot to lock the front door again.

Retired1 sir, they didn't leave the door open, the engineers breached it with a shape charge and we all got in!! For the record I trained VMU1, 2 and 3 how to fly the marines current UAV, spent 3 months at the stumps and 3 months at Cherry point. Semper Fi good sir!:vapor:

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
I went through the single engine fixed wing course at Rucker. Later, they pulled me out of Ft Meade and send me back for the OV-1 Mohawk. That was back in '65. They sent the Mohawks to Viet Nam, and me to Germany.

If someone had asked the question 50 years ago, I could have told them where the Army was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread