Why are a lot of people obsessed with vaping at high W?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I am struggling with this as well, I am really looking for a good reason why I want to change my 30W ipv Mini, the only reason I see a lot of people do is crazy coil builds that need immense power to heat up, low ohm and such, otherwise for my day to day vaping I'm chasing flavor, and I work in an environment where clouds are deemed childish (you know, big boys and all), so I'm really not sure why I would ever need a 150W mod.

Sent from my HTC One X9 dual sim using Tapatalk
ok For me the reason I went to the ALien 220 mod was purely to switch to a dual battery mod. I vape at 15-20 watts but I chain vape. On my Kbox mini with a subtank (.5 ohm kanthal coil in the RBA deck) that added up to changing batteries 2-3 times a day. With the Alien I recharge once a day and even then it is not completely depleted. Do I need a 220 Watt mod? No but the long battery life from it being dual battery sure is nice.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
If I liked the sensation low wattage offers I'd definitely stick to low wattage, unfortunately I don't.

I liked it when I started as that tight draw felt like a cigarette. The farther way from smoking the less I enjoyed that tight draw. Even though I'm vaping a much looser, airy draw, and my builds are lower and appropriate to the airflow, it's not like I've massively increased my juice consumption, and still find it's the flavor I like. If there were only a tiny cloud I'd still be happy. My stealth vape setups are still low watt low cloud, with higher nic. Do they work for me? Sure. Am I happy when I get home and don't have to vape like that? Absolutely. But that's me, and everyone has to find their own sweet spot with this stuff.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I liked it when I started as that tight draw felt like a cigarette. The farther way from smoking the less I enjoyed that tight draw. Even though I'm vaping a much looser, airy draw, and my builds are lower and appropriate to the airflow, it's not like I've massively increased my juice consumption, and still find it's the flavor I like. If there were only a tiny cloud I'd still be happy. My stealth vape setups are still low watt low cloud, with higher nic. Do they work for me? Sure. Am I happy when I get home and don't have to vape like that? Absolutely. But that's me, and everyone has to find their own sweet spot with this stuff.
Funny thing about tight and loose draws. Now realize I have been vaping a bit over 4 years so this story goes back a long ways.

When Kanger came out with the first Protank (call it PT1) huge numbers of people on this forum were complaining about how airy the draw was. We still bought out every supplier as it was one of the first if not the first glass tanks and many of us were fighting a battle with juices cracking plastic.

Now when I retro vape my old PT1 on the provari (considered the Cadillac combo in its day) I find the draw painfully tight and restricted.

Times change and what we want in a vape changes.

Rckvape

Mar 27, 2016
Not so sound full of myself or rude BUT EVERYONES answer Is vape how you want. Which is exactly correct. DONT WORRY ABOUT EVERY SWINGING DICK IN THE ROOM dude.
Make yourself happy and follow the path you like. Not what others dictate for you.
Don't follow. That it all.
Sorry if I offended,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Not so sound full of myself or rude BUT EVERYONES answer Is vape how you want. Which is exactly correct. DONT WORRY ABOUT EVERY SWINGING DICK IN THE ROOM dude.
Make yourself happy and follow the path you like. Not what others dictate for you.
Sorry if I offended,

as long as it's how I vape.....

Rckvape

Mar 27, 2016
as long as it's how I vape.....

Yup. I know guys who vape completely incorrect. Ie. In temp control but without Temp control coils AND in Celsius, coughing like first time were smokers.
I look and ask are you happy and carry on.. that simple.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Sorry if I offended,

I have never had anyone tell me how/what to vape, which is cool. I WAS lucky that the first combo I bought was an iStick/Nautilus Mini and the salespeople were very helpful. I feel sorry for new vapers being sold Aliens and Cloud Beasts due to unknowledgeable B&M staff though.

BTW, where do vapers make fun of or talk down on each other's setups? Maybe I'm too old, naive or am not hanging out at enough cloud comps or B&Ms, but I have never seen this...

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I have never had anyone tell me how/what to vape, which is cool. I WAS lucky that the first combo I bought was an iStick/Nautilus Mini and the salespeople were very helpful. I feel sorry for new vapers being sold Aliens and Cloud Beasts due to unknowledgeable B&M staff though.

BTW, where do vapers make fun of or talk down on each other's setups? Maybe I'm too old, naive or am not hanging out at enough cloud comps or B&Ms, but I have never seen this...

Ive really not seen it either.
And I usually rock the cheap suits.
(Clones)

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Ive really not seen it either.
And I usually rock the cheap suits.
(Clones)
I vape a lot out in public and have never had anyone say "holy crap, is that an authentic "X" mod?!" Maybe just a cursory nod between fellow vapers, but rarely any gear discussion. I generally take clone mechs or regulated mods out though...

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I vape a lot out in public and have never had anyone say "holy crap, is that an authentic "X" mod?!" Maybe just a cursory nod between fellow vapers, but rarely any gear discussion. I generally take clone mechs or regulated mods out though...
Back when the only vape shop in town here was a counter in the local tattoo parlor I did have the owner of the place kinda freak out because he had never seen a REO or a squonker before (that was nearly 4 years ago).

KurtF

Jan 15, 2017
North Carolina, USA
At least with all my friends I know, they all insist I vape at 120W minimum or ideally 150W...but everytime I vape it just get's so warm, they all vape extremely warm and I don't get it, a good 50-70W is perfect for me, and they want me to do 150W with an RDA I just find it crazy

It's so we can slam our watts on the table and say "mine is bigger than yours. Woof! Woof! Woof!"

It's a man thing. :)

Grego25

ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
I usually like to be around 55w but sometimes feel like using my mtl tank at 17 or want a thick warm then I'll go to 80 or so. I've done well over 100 (don't remember exactly watts) just to see what it was like on a few attys but I don't think it's worth sacrificing battery life, flavor or burning up that much juice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RainSong

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
If I liked the sensation low wattage offers I'd definitely stick to low wattage, unfortunately I don't.
Please

Dunno, I'm almost old, I'd like to think I'm not naive, and I've been on the periphery of a few cloud comps, but in the few vape shops I've visited and the few vapers I've been around, I've never felt like the proverbial poo in the punch bowl, nor have I ever felt "pressured" into doing/buying anything.
I'm generally twice the age of most of the vapers I've run across in vape shops and have always felt welcome and that my business was wanted. Maybe I've been lucky, but I think we are a pretty inclusive group, on the whole.

In some ways we're a little like the motorcycle community. There will always be the hardcore "you ain't nothin' unless you're ridin' (insert whatever motorcycle brand)" few, but on the whole, if you're on two wheels, you belong.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Please

Dunno, I'm almost old, I'd like to think I'm not naive, and I've been on the periphery of a few cloud comps, but in the few vape shops I've visited and the few vapers I've been around, I've never felt like the proverbial poo in the punch bowl, nor have I ever felt "pressured" into doing/buying anything.
I'm generally twice the age of most of the vapers I've run across in vape shops and have always felt welcome and that my business was wanted. Maybe I've been lucky, but I think we are a pretty inclusive group, on the whole.

In some ways we're a little like the motorcycle community. There will always be the hardcore "you ain't nothin' unless you're ridin' (insert whatever motorcycle brand)" few, but on the whole, if you're on two wheels, you belong.
well said. Same boat here....I keep hearing these stories about people attacking others about how they vape, but after 5 years, I've yet to see it. I wonder if telling someone how they vape gets misconstrued with "you suck if you don't do this".

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
well said. Same boat here....I keep hearing these stories about people attacking others about how they vape, but after 5 years, I've yet to see it. I wonder if telling someone how they vape gets misconstrued with "you suck if you don't do this".
When I first started I was probably the only vaper in this small town. Most of the attention I got was from cops. Pulled over twice because they thought my REO was a cellphone LOL.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
When I first started I was probably the only vaper in this small town. Most of the attention I got was from cops. Pulled over twice because they thought my REO was a cellphone LOL.
Same here! Except it was a ProVari with a Kayfun on it. And he didn't think it was a cell phone....he was pretty sure I was breaking a law. We had a nice conversation and I gave him a starter kit for his wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread