Why Vapers are getting a BAD NAME.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rinoaa52r

Jun 20, 2010
Alton, IL USA
On a personal note I am not a fan of Cologne or perfume. It don't seem to matter if someone put it on 2 min or 2 hours ago it still smells like alcohol to me. But I know that I work in a public place and I have to deal with it cause not everyone has the same views as me. BTW no I don't drink either because I can't stand the taste of alcohol.

FRANKSTER

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2011
staten island, new york
I started vaping about 6 months ago; I am now completely winged off "Analog" cigarettes. I am glad that there is a Safer alternative to smoking, but I always hear and see complaints about E cigarette users. Now I treat my E-Cig as I would if it were a "Analog", I don't smoke in Walmarts or in Restaurants, because even though it's not a "Real" cigarette I find it disrespectful to others around you (Who don't smoke).

Getting to my story, today I took my 2 month old son and daughter (Twins) for their check up and shots. Me and my girlfriend were sitting in the lobby with around 5 other people with their children and infants with them. I noticed this woman sitting across the room bringing her jacket pocket up to her mouth (trying to be sneaky I guess), and exhaled a big plume of Vapor.

I of course got extremely POed, and said something to the woman, how it was disrespectful with all these Infants sitting within 10 feet of her "Vaping".

I just think it's crazy how disrespectful some people get with the whole "It's not a real cigarette, so I can smoke it when and where I want".
I really do not like posting in some one else's thread because they start calling me out, but I agree with you 100 percent. I think no-one should vape where you cannot smoke. All these vapers are doing is giving the powers that be more ammunition to use against vaping. I actually read somewhere that someone was vaping on a plane. How dangerous is that? Tell it like it is, but of course you will be bashed for it.

Vapers are some of the most intolerant people I have ever met on this forum...You can almost be assured that this thread will be closed which is sad.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
I really do not like posting in some one else's thread because they start calling me out, but I agree with you 100 percent. I think no-one should vape where you cannot smoke. All these vapers are doing is giving the powers that be more ammunition to use against vaping. I actually read somewhere that someone was vaping on a plane. How dangerous is that? Tell it like it is, but of course you will be bashed for it.

Vapers are some of the most intolerant people I have ever met on this forum...You can almost be assured that this thread will be closed which is sad.

Vaping on a plane is not dangerous, anymore than using your laptop. And FAR less dangerous than smoking was, which still was allowed on planes until I was in my mid 20's. But even with that said, it is explicitly forbidden on most if not all domestic airlines. The FAA left that decision to the individual airlines and they all decided to explicitly ban the use of e-cigs on flights. Read the inflight magazine around what is allowed and not allowed, and you will see that. NO ONE here is talking about vaping where vaping is banned.

What I am saying is that there is no reason that a vaper should restrict their activity to only where smoking is allowed because someone might mistake your vaping for smoking. The fact is...you're not smoking. If I vape in walmart, I'm not smoking. If I vape in a theatre, I'm not smoking. Should I be courteous? Yes, that's why I don't blow cloud in peoples faces, and actually stealth vape in most places. But the bottom line is that I should be allowed to do it until it is proven harmful.

In some bars I have been in, there is a sign that says "no alcohol beyond this point". I have never NOT taken a soft drink beyond that point because someone might mistake my coke for a Rum and Coke. That is stupid thinking, but that is the same mind set some vapers have. Someone might mistake my e-cig for a cigarette so I shouldn't use it. First of all, most people can smell tobacco smoke before they can see it. If someone is within 5 feet of you and doesn't smell the smoke, they know you're vaping. If they are offended, they are offended because you are vaping not because they think you are smokng. Second of all, there are people who think that it is their mission on earth to force people to live how they personally should live. San Francisco banned toys in happy meals UNLESS the meal had under a certain number of calories because of child hood obesity. Yes folks, toys in happy meals are responsible for overweight children. Not bad parenting, not the elimination of physical education in our schools, not the sedentary lifestyle of most children....Happy meal toys. Give me a break.

The frustrating thing is that some vapers, especially those new to the game, think that the current legislative and PR war against e-cigs is because of rude vapers. This has never been the case.

It is still rare to see a vaper in public. I live is south florida which is very vapor friendly and the only places I see vapers in the wild in any concentration are in vape shops. Yet to hear it from the media, vaping is running rampant down our streets.

A great majority of us are ex-smokers, and we have been down this path before. In a town in California, smoking was recently banned in YOUR OWN HOME if you share a wall with a neighbor. This means all apartment complexes, duplexes, and condos. Why, because of the non existent threat of second hand smoke harming your neighbor...

The point is, the Anti Nicotine and Tobacco Zealots will not stop. They are against your behavior. They want to ELIMINATE your behavior. Not regulate, not segregate, but eliminate.

They use scare tactics and fake science to convince low information people that vaping is just as dangerous as smoking. And when we as vapers continue to act like smokers, we co-opt their BS and simply reinforce that idea.

You do not fight for your rights by giving them up and then later asking for them back.

FRANKSTER

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2011
staten island, new york
I like seeing vapors blowing cloudss!@!!

Who is giving them fellas a bad name?

Who is judging them?

I don't even know, who is actually saying it's a wrong thing other than the vaping community itself?

Don't vape in public places where smoking is banned be polite, blow the biggest clouds you want, this is still free country not?

You said that this is still a free county? You cannot even say what you want on this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
The point is, the Anti Nicotine and Tobacco Zealots will not stop. They are against your behavior. They want to ELIMINATE your behavior. Not regulate, not segregate, but eliminate.

They use scare tactics and fake science to convince low information people that vaping is just as dangerous as smoking. And when we as vapers continue to act like smokers, we co-opt their BS and simply reinforce that idea.

You do not fight for your rights by giving them up and then later asking for them back.

True dat. Especially the bold part.

Even if all vapers magically agreed to never ever vape indoors again, zealots would continue the war to eliminate. Then, one front would be all done with and they could focus on the flavors issue. And if the opposition in this thread is any indication of the internal struggle we are up against, it would be a number of vapers saying, "it's just in our best interest to stop making certain flavors. Having flavors with candy names, or sugar, or anything sweet in them, is simply going to be our undoing. That's why I only vape tobacco flavors as should the rest of you. If these things get banned, it'll be because of you vapers who insist on using cotton candy flavors in your vape."

8dragon9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
North Charleston, SC
You know that argument in ever sense of it irritates the bajeezus out of me. Dont have flavored cigs, dont market candy flavors because of kids...these things are not legal for children to buy...end of the damn story. God forbid something smells or looks good to kids in terms of smoking...yet we can market hundreds of flavors of alcohol, advertise how yummy and fruity and candy tasting they are publically and those are not banned. An 8 year old kid can walk into a store and load up on redbull and sweets (proven harmful to kids in lots of ways) we can take away there education, our adoption system is a joke. Jesus christ, focus on things that matter in regards to nations youth and stop worrieng that our vapes MIGHT make younger kids think smoking is ok...(which parents should be responsible for correcting)

sent from the s4 of DOOOM

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
You said that this is still a free county? You cannot even say what you want on this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In what way have you been censored? Or do you mean you can't say what you want because you don't get the agreement you expect? Tell us why you can't say what you want to say and we might have a discussion.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV

Point is we dont know 100% if its safe, so why put everyone else around you in the situation.....................

I am really sick of this thoughtless statement. First, what is 100% safe in this world?? Is wearing perfume/aftershave 100% safe to those subjected to it and have an allergic reaction? Would you acoust some woman for wearing too much perfume that could cause harm?? I doubt it. We could go on and on with these examples. Yet you want to hold vaping to a standard 1000 times higher than most every other substance used/expelled by humans.

Second, based on the most recent study conducted at Drexel University, expelled vapor is 100% safe for those in the general vicinity. Have you read the study??? I doubt it.

I wouldn't vape in a crowded small room with strangers. But if I saw a woman doing it discretely in her child's doctor's office, my first thought would be she is probably stressed out and worried over her child's illness.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I've been a member of a few non vape forums for quite a while. I can understand that 'noobs' like myself might ask questions that were asked 100 times or think they know everything based on a product description and a YouTube video. I know how frustrating that can be to long time members. But I feel in this case it's the uninformed 'noobs' that more accurately paint a picture of what the majority of people might think about vaporizing. Wether this majority is uninformed, misinformed or brainwashed is irrelevant. I've been in bars where pushing and shoving breaks out amongst a crowd of people and almost nobody around will jump in or try to stop it unless they're with the people involved. They back away. Why? Because most people don't like confrontation and will avoid it at all costs. Obviously this example is a little more extreme when compared to vapers. What I'm driving at here is just because Joe Blow doesn't confront you about vaping doesn't mean he isn't being influenced in some way about it, be it positive or negative. It certainly doesn't mean he is definitely 100% fine with it. Hell, smokers sometimes ask if their smoke bothers me (indoors) and I say "no" when it actually does. That's human nature for some people. With that said, after reading this thread further, my thoughts on the situation have somewhat changed. Do I think public vaping is necessary to educate people on the matter in some way? Yes, I guess I do now. Do I think it will work? Definitely not on it's own. I won't be blowing clouds in bars but I will be doing my part to at least make my vape visible at times, explain a bit to anyone who seems interested and maybe encourage a few people to get on board.

P.S. The first time I ever used an e-cigg at a bar, I was asked to go outside. Even after I explained what it was. This happened again at a second bar the same night so it does occur. I've also received dirty looks in other indoor places while using them so my opinions do not go unjustified.

Except you're thinking C is the cause of B when A has been causing B a lot longer than C has existed.

In your case, since when has Health Canada EVER been OK with ecigs????
The world's ALA and ACS's are the problem and the world's government health enforcement has been going along with them. Joe Blow hasn't had a chance to form an opinion based on what he sees. Those ANTZ propaganda organizations have been flooding him with misinformation long before he ever saw an ecig.

The only way to counter that propaganda is to vape in front of Joe Blow.

Holy crap, your health department has been one of the worst ones in the world and you want to blame a vaper???

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
Well really I'm new so what I think doesn't matter. Vaping while people are eating or in stores or places that don't allow vaping "Imo only" leads me to believe it gives ammo to the evil forces. I wasn't trying to upset the "long term members", it was my opinion. Like I said I'm new to the forums. I'll try not to post my opinions on this.

I'm not asking you not to post your opinion. But if I disagree with it, I'm likely to post *my* opinion also.

Vaping while people are eating or in stores or places that don't allow vaping "Imo only" leads me to believe it gives ammo to the evil forces.

You just changed the argument. Now we're no longer talking about "vaping where you aren't allowed to smoke" we're talking about "vaping in a place with a rule against vaping". That's very, very different.

The problem is, you don't see the difference between the two. To you, a rule against smoking is a rule against vaping, because they are the same thing.

If I'm someplace with a rule against vaping, I won't vape. I may choose not to do business with them in the future, but I'll follow that rule. That's quite different from assuming that anyplace which doesn't allow smoking automatically has a rule against vaping.

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
I think no-one should vape where you cannot smoke.

Later, in the same post :

Vapers are some of the most intolerant people I have ever met

I find it interesting that you demand that people treat vaping the same as smoking, while claiming that people who vape aren't tolerant. :)

I actually read somewhere that someone was vaping on a plane. How dangerous is that?

That sounds very dangerous. Reading could open your mind, expose you to new ideas. You might even learn that vaping isn't killing people, and that there is no evidence that even first hand vaping is bad for you, much less the second hand vapor you seem to be so worried about. Yes, reading could be very dangerous for someone like you.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
Taste Your Juice | BLAMING E-CIGS FOR TEENAGE MARIJUANA USE

Pbusardo gets it!!!

Fact: 100% of Rapists, Serial Killers, and Drug Dealers have admitted to drinking water....

Good lord.... We have to ban this obviously deadly substance.....And for heavens sake, let's not drink water in public, it might normalize vodka use....What about the Children!!!????!!!!???

FRANKSTER

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2011
staten island, new york
Later, in the same post :

I find it interesting that you demand that people treat vaping the same as smoking, while claiming that people who vape aren't tolerant. :)

That sounds very dangerous. Reading could open your mind, expose you to new ideas. You might even learn that vaping isn't killing people, and that there is no evidence that even first hand vaping is bad for you, much less the second hand vapor you seem to be so worried about. Yes, reading could be very dangerous for someone like you.

I gave my opinion. Why should I vape where I could not smoke? I do not need to constantly tell people it is not smoke. I have better things to do with my time. You are inhaling nic that is not healthy, no matter how you slice. I think you should do some research on nic.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I gave my opinion. Why should I vape where I could not smoke?

Do you vape on your own property in space that you wouldn't smoke? If yes, then that could be your answer.

You are inhaling nic that is not healthy, no matter how you slice. I think you should do some research on nic.

All good reasons to not vape anywhere, including own property. Congratulations on reasoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread