Woodvil Sale Day Thread - May 23, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
How did you strip off the poly? With just sandpaper?

yeah, sanded it off. started with 320 and worked up to a final of 2500, usually wouldn't go that high with anything but really hard woods that take a shine like this, otherwise up to 1500 is good, really you could even stop at 800 or 1000, really depends on the wood

keepsmiling

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2014
Florida
yeah, sanded it off. started with 320 and worked up to a final of 2500, usually wouldn't go that high with anything but really hard woods that take a shine like this, otherwise up to 1500 is good, really you could even stop at 800 or 1000, really depends on the wood
It will be the yellow heart/Padauk

since you're giggling, a) not sure what a BRO is, and b) not sure if i wanna deny it just yet :)
:lol:

Hiwatt Bob

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2014
Apple Valley, MN
my woods go wherever I go. I drop them and wash them in the sink when needed and have even cracked a few but it's just wood. it mends easy, and really in the end life's too short to vape less than the best every day. what am I gonna do, save them to put them in the box with me? they take a lot more abuse that you'd think :)

Very nice looking woodvil!

Also, I agree wholeheartedly. I take my woodvils everywhere. I treat them like I treat my guitars--they always look better when they've been played and have stories to tell.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood

Slots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
Eastern Wa.
<~~~~~~ fixin to go root through yur drawers!! and I never thought I'd say THAT to a woman! :laugh:
Guess I forgot who I was saying that in front of :w00t:

There's still some really nice ones left .. wonder if Rob takes "lay-a-way" :lol:

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
There's still some really nice ones left .. wonder if Rob takes "lay-a-way"
That would be nice huh! I gotta admit, I was totally ok with not getting a woodvil, but..... after seeing how truly gorgeous these are, and realizing it would likely ease stress on my hands when they're acting up.....I'll now be saving up for one next year, and beggin Rob each day for a purple heart with either a birdseye or white oak door with a plunger. Possibly, yellowheart door now that I've seen they're not as super yellow as they seemed.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
First thing I did was check tracking when I got up, OUT FOR DELIVERY... The three sweetest words in the English language.

Shafted. :mad:

08:12 am Sorting Complete
08:22 am Out for Delivery
05:25 pm NO ONE AT THE :censored::censored: LOCAL POST OFFICE KNOWS WHAT THE :censored: HAPPENED OR WHERE THE :censored: PACKAGE IS!
10:22 pm Delivery status not updated (No :censored: Shirley) :mad::mad::mad:

When it comes to USooPS there is only ONE sweet word: Delivered. (Assuming it was delivered to... you even.)

Really peeved.

RobbieVape

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2015
Bristol - England
I stripped the poly finish and sanded and polished this thing up and man this caribbean rosewood is really hard, polishes up to smooth as glass. just as smooth as my ebony, actualy this wood reminds me exactly of desert ironwood, even looks almost exactly like it side by side. I love really hard woods that can polish up to a smooth glossy finish, I couldn't possibly be happier with it

this is one coat of tung oil then a coat of renaissance wax. I also smoothed and polished the button while it was off :)

20150528_231538_zpsy0ovnnzd.jpg

20150528_232524_zpsh148yxem.jpg

20150528_232456_zpscbspdzlc.jpg

20150528_231416_zpsfay8syxi.jpg

20150528_231327_zpsfvwhr9jg.jpg

20150528_231148_zpswdrvvhol.jpg

20150528_230901_zps1dagawpp.jpg

WOW thats looks simply amazing!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wolfenstark

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Perth , Australia
I chose mine on the wood I liked (after doing some research ) and the look.
Never had one before so don't know about oil / poly finish on them.
Mine on site says poly finish and I'm definitely not sanding it off. I'll take the wood as it is.

Though Im not sure if putting howards or mineral oil on a poly is doing anything or required.- Though I read it can help on the inside.

Slots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
Eastern Wa.
Shafted. :mad:

08:12 am Sorting Complete
08:22 am Out for Delivery
05:25 pm NO ONE AT THE :censored::censored: LOCAL POST OFFICE KNOWS WHAT THE :censored: HAPPENED OR WHERE THE :censored: PACKAGE IS!
10:22 pm Delivery status not updated (No :censored: Shirley) :mad::mad::mad:
When it comes to USooPS there is only ONE sweet word: Delivered. (Assuming it was delivered to... you even.)
Really peeved.
Boy, I hope you can track it down ... and strangle the delivery guy if necessary :nah:

Though Im not sure if putting howards or mineral oil on a poly is doing anything or required.- Though I read it can help on the inside.
Hey Wolf, I think you have progressed 3 years in 1 :thumb: ..
I noticed on mine (poly) that the insides were dry, untreated. .
So, I'm picking up some mineral oil to treat the insides with.
Hope yours gets there soon :)

Matthee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
Koringberg, South Africa
It is time to tell everyone a true story. It was a tough decision to pass on the Woodvil sale. But I could only let myself get one REO out of the upcoming sales. I chose a Brass Mini for my quest.

Then Robert messages me that he has a Woodvil that he thinks I will like. A thank you from him. It is a Blem is all he would say when we talked on the phone later. And then he said "I know you like unique". This Woodvil was sent out to me last Thursday. Sight unseen until today.

Thank you is never enough to say to him when he gives me such a treasure. But I say it again, and again.

Robert, my friend, you made me weep again. :wub:

View attachment 460017 View attachment 460018
A special Woodvil for a special person. Congrats and enjoy.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
that's a beauty right there! I too had my game changed very recently--SuperX's Odin vid convinced me to try one. I went from thinking a single coil with a tight draw couldn't be beat...to now feeling like there's no way I can ever go back.

No, there's no going back. I started building dual coils on genisis RBAs a couple years ago. Since then, I haven't used a single coil on anything.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Very nice looking woodvil!

Also, I agree wholeheartedly. I take my woodvils everywhere. I treat them like I treat my guitars--they always look better when they've been played and have stories to tell.
Interesting point. I take my basses anywhere, they get scratched, but they are just as beautiful as ever. Though this wenge feels so light in my hand...feels like it'd break, I believe you all on the durability. I don't think it'll leave my home - but if I get a second woodvil one day, that one probably will. It's more that I don't want it to get stolen when out and about, or lost...or rained on while hiking etc. Honestly though, less than 24 hours with my woodvil and, metal REOs seem subpar durability aside. The comfort, warmth and beauty of the wood = greatest mod of all time.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Sorry for double posting but I gotta rant - I can't get over this - I thought I was just getting a beautiful mod. I had no idea it would be such a comfortable mod...I mean, it's so lightweight, there's no shifting of the thumb to fire it. I equate this to...well, humor me...

When one smokes a cig, or even a pipe or cigar, once it's lit good it's lit. There's no lifting of the thumb to flick the lighter each time you hit it. I find the woodvil to be much closer to simulating the relaxation of a good pipe or cigar than a grand, because, my fingers are naturally there...give a little press to fire it but no shifting of my hand.

Guess I'm saying I think a woodvil replicates the act of smoking a little better, or at the very least more comfortably, than a metal REO. It's heaven. Heaven. Now I understand the craze even more. The woodvil is no longer just about beauty and uniqueness to me - it's about being the danged best, most functional mod I've ever owned :)

SO happy :) Thank you Rob!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread