Status
Not open for further replies.

PVPuff&Stuff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Bishop, California, United States
Amazon to shut down California affiliates over new sales tax law

The California Governor has signed the tax bill, requiring businesses with a presence in the state to collect California Sales Tax. That's it. It's not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

We already collect sales taxes for sales to California addresses, and nothing's going to change.

What we will see is a drop in California affiliate marketing, which isn't a bad thing if you ask me. Those are the guys that write all those 300-500 word essays with links to the people actually selling the items. You click on their link in the article and the person that wrote it gets a few pennies if you buy.

For e-cigs anyway, the affiliate marketing programs are generally full of bad information, and lead you to the "free trial" starter kits and companies. They also (generally) use questionable sales tactics and present the products in a way they shouldn't be. (IE. Quit smoking...."only" water vapor....etc.)

I'm actually looking at this as a good thing for e-cigs....less sprawl from the bad deals...and less of those annoying "articles" (spam) that pop up every time you search.

Don't forget to pay your "use tax" everybody. ;)

If you buy in the same state you pay sales tax. If you buy from out of state, you're supposed to let your State tax collecting entity know what you bought and send them their percentage. The vendor only collects it for you if you're in state.

skydragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Mountain Cave
Amazon to shut down California affiliates over new sales tax law

The California Governor has signed the tax bill, requiring businesses with a presence in the state to collect California Sales Tax. That's it. It's not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

We already collect sales taxes for sales to California addresses, and nothing's going to change.

What we will see is a drop in California affiliate marketing, which isn't a bad thing if you ask me. Those are the guys that write all those 300-500 word essays with links to the people actually selling the items. You click on their link in the article and the person that wrote it gets a few pennies if you buy.

For e-cigs anyway, the affiliate marketing programs are generally full of bad information, and lead you to the "free trial" starter kits and companies. They also (generally) use questionable sales tactics and present the products in a way they shouldn't be. (IE. Quit smoking...."only" water vapor....etc.)

I'm actually looking at this as a good thing for e-cigs....less sprawl from the bad deals...and less of those annoying "articles" (spam) that pop up every time you search.

Don't forget to pay your "use tax" everybody. ;)If you buy in the same state you pay sales tax. If you buy from out of state, you're supposed to let your State tax collecting entity know what you bought and send them their percentage. The vendor only collects it for you if you're in state.

I'll be sure to do that. :laugh::laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread