Not open for further replies.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Funny, I just bought an Athena 22 as well that isn't here yet.

The shame of all this is that the asking price for the Xvostick is not out of line, in fact it's actually reasonable for a DNA40 mod of this quality. The problem (as I see it) is the lack of customer support when situations such as sideways grub screws happen. Case in point I just had one of my DNA40 mods have a problem, still waiting to hear back from the modder & will have to send it to Italy. The only saving grace is that I know he will fix it, it may take some time but I have 100% confidence that it will be taken care of. This mod cost me a bit more than an Xvostick would but if I am paying a premium I expect excellent customer service........I hope you guys can get that Xvostick back up & running, it's too sweet to sell at a major loss.

Thanks, fishwater.

Yes, it's one of our favorites, for sure. I might be able to get it going, and will give it my best shot.

But if BBV does indeed come out with anything close to competitive, it's going to catapult over everything else for us (this I know). So while the Xvo might not be totally expendable, the impact of its loss will be less painful. Its original attractiveness was that it was CLOSE to a BB, form wise, but offered more (valuable) battery power.

Even with that, I still end up walking out with two BB's in hand at least half the time. That gets me through any day, and it comes with absolutely ZERO worry. With all we've been through, I still would NEVER leave the house with JUST a single Xvo in hand. They're too temperamental for that (for me).

I don't WANT to end up selling the thing. Not at all, in fact. But given that option vs. yet another trans-Atlantic trip, it'll hit the classies first. Sorry, but no more of THAT for ME. Been there, done that (twice, even!) :(

hunter

Feb 1, 2010
Australia
I am pretty sure if you wrote an email to mini-ecig they would send you a replacement 510 connector out for free. If you know someone with a little know how, you could have it fixed in a jiff, even if it ment drilling your old 510 connector out (worse case scenario).
They were very responsive and honest with lead times with me and also gave reasons behind the lead times. Like unavailability of DNA 40 chips currently (which is true), when they were expecting them and how long it would take for them to get it to me, all very reasonable.
It was reading this thread and my initial delivery, that has me against sending it back to them for repair. But they are willing to send items to your door for free replacement.

For the record even though my screen is not working currently, I am still using my Xvo everyday. I feel no need to have a back-up device directly on my person. I am an ex 2 pack day smoker going through 3ml to 5ml of E-Liquid per day. The Xvo Stick has been no doubt reliable every day with no major isues for me. One 2500mAh Samsung 25R easily gets me through the day and I change it in the evening. At a max I would get a day and a half. I have been looking at a few new 3000mAh batteries but in no hurry. This is using sub ohm or temp control at between 15W to 25W.

Last edited:

hunter

Feb 1, 2010
Australia
P_20160201_183319.jpg
P_20160201_183158.jpg
P_20160201_183138.jpg

Here are some images of my XvoStick wearing the Joytech VT Silicone Skin and Kayfun V4 drip tip in the Aspire Atlantis. Both available from Fasttech.com for very cheap.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
I am pretty sure if you wrote an email to mini-ecig they would send you a replacement 510 connector out for free. If you know someone with a little know how, you could have it fixed in a jiff, even if it ment drilling your old 510 connector out (worse case scenario).
They were very responsive and honest with lead times with me and also gave reasons behind the lead times. Like unavailability of DNA 40 chips currently (which is true), when they were expecting them and how long it would take for them to get it to me, all very reasonable.
It was reading this thread and my initial delivery, that has me against sending it back to them for repair. But they are willing to send items to your door for free replacement.

For the record even though my screen is not working currently, I am still using my Xvo everyday. I feel no need to have a back-up device directly on my person. I am an ex 2 pack day smoker going through 3ml to 5ml of E-Liquid per day. The Xvo Stick has been no doubt reliable every day with no major isues for me. One 2500mAh Samsung 25R easily gets me through the day and I change it in the evening. At a max I would get a day and a half. I have been looking at a few new 3000mAh batteries but in no hurry. This is using sub ohm or temp control at between 15W to 25W.
I'm sure they would, Hunter, but I doubt it needs one. Thanks, though.

My extensive email exchanges with Mini always ended up causing me more frustration than satisfaction though, so it's just not a good option (for ME).

I'm thrilled you're satisfied, and hope it continues to go well for you. My mind is well made up already though, and it's based on reams of empirical data, by way of personal experiences.

You're an excellent candidate to own one, with your 240Z's and all, but I drive a Toyota Celica, you see, and am more of an "Oil change every three..." kind of person.

You're not wrong with your approach, nor am I wrong with mine. We're just different animals, and thankfully there are plenty of options (currently) for all types of vapers.

If I can twist it open, great. That's our preference. But if I can't, I know the best path for us. I've already cut down the trees.

The 25R's are nice. I use them in a couple of devices and am pleased. I prefer the HG2's in my Xvo's, which have been performing tremendously.

Either is a good choice.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld

And this is one of my biggest takeaways from your experience. It's exactly where they used to go awry, but sounds like like they may have adjusted their approach, and I'm very happy about that.

:thumbs:

hunter

Feb 1, 2010
Australia
Fully agree with your point of view, horses for courses I guess. As you stated in an earlier post "it may be more a modders device"
Technically it is less complex than a lot of RTA's out there. It would have less parts than your average Kayfun. I was once concerned with pulling things apart but once you start, you realise there is nothing really complex about it at all, be it a phone or an ecig. I will ensure I post some easy to follow dismantling guides to help others that may be a little more brazen.

I have actually purchased the Athena22 to see if I can mount a DNA 200 chip in it but will try the chip that is in it and see how it goes.

Thanks for the feedback on the batteries DPL. I was looking at the 3000mAh LG HG2's but may try the 3000mAh Samsung 30Q, much of muchness but the HG2's have a slightly higher rated amp limitation. For my MTL style vaping either will be adequate. I used to run Panasonic 3200mAh and 3400mAh batteries in my VTR but they just do not cut the mustard these days.

I have been vaping since 2008 and started out with the 510, then shortly after that the 510 Mega... Always used to run the charging boxes and drip. We have come a long way since those days.

I probably should have been posting a lot of lessons learned and modifications I have made to devices along the way but "Life Happens" I just tended to get along and vape.

I have faith in mini-ecig and I do feel their approach has changed.

hunter

Feb 1, 2010
Australia
And this is one of my biggest takeaways from your experience. It's exactly where they used to go awry, but sounds like like they may have adjusted their approach, and I'm very happy about that.

:thumbs:
I will say I was quite agressive with my approach I am a No BS sort of guy, I also do take NO for an answer. It did take three emails to get exactly what I wanted, but they were very responsive and honest with what they have promised.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Fully agree with your point of view, horses for courses I guess. As you stated in an earlier post "it may be more a modders device"
Technically it is less complex than a lot of RTA's out there. It would have less parts than your average Kayfun. I was once concerned with pulling things apart but once you start, you realise there is nothing really complex about it at all, be it a phone or an ecig. I will ensure I post some easy to follow dismantling guides to help others that may be a little more brazen.

I have actually purchased the Athena22 to see if I can mount a DNA 200 chip in it but will try the chip that is in it and see how it goes.

Thanks for the feedback on the batteries DPL. I was looking at the 3000mAh LG HG2's but may try the 3000mAh Samsung 30Q, much of muchness but the HG2's have a slightly higher rated amp limitation. For my MTL style vaping either will be adequate. I used to run Panasonic 3200mAh and 3400mAh batteries in my VTR but they just do not cut the mustard these days.

I have been vaping since 2008 and started out with the 510, then shortly after that the 510 Mega... Always used to run the charging boxes and drip. We have come a long way since those days.

I probably should have been posting a lot of lessons learned and modifications I have made to devices along the way but "Life Happens" I just tended to get along and vape.

I have faith in mini-ecig and I do feel their approach has changed.

Indeed we have (come a long way).

My first vape was in 2009, but I threw it away after about a year (it bit wad). I consider myself as "starting" in late 2011, since that's when I did it for good, and quit smoking to boot. But yeah, seen a few things... ;-)

Keep us informed as to the results, please, and how they compare to the promises that were made. I hope it's very different from what I (and a couple/few others) experienced.

hunter

Feb 1, 2010
Australia
Indeed we have (come a long way).

My first vape was in 2009, but I threw it away after about a year (it bit wad). I consider myself as "starting" in late 2011, since that's when I did it for good, and quit smoking to boot. But yeah, seen a few things... ;-)

Keep us informed as to the results, please, and how they compare to the promises that were made. I hope it's very different from what I (and a couple/few others) experienced.
I definitely will keep you posted. Hopefully it is now a stark contrast to the purchasing and waiting FOREVER with no real detailed explainations of the past. When I first purchased I was sure it was being delivered via Alpaca through mongolia first, then battoned off to a tutut driver, flown through Canada just for ....s and giggles then finally making it to the land down under.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
I definitely will keep you posted. Hopefully it is now a stark contrast to the purchasing and waiting FOREVER with no real detailed explainations of the past.

It's definitely starting out differently. It sounds like there was much more open communication. Time will tell if it was honest too, which I sincerely hope that it was.

Again, there's a history that warrants a certain amount of cynicism, but I'm working hard to give them the benefit of doubt right now.

Fingers crossed (for you)...

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
hunter, thank you again. Your posts have been particularly informative, not just for DPL and me, but for this entire little gang of Xvo users.

By the way, I'm pretty sure I've got plenty of BRAZEN, but I also know that the innards of the little guy are quite difficult to work with, so my brazen loses out to my rational.

I'm still hopeful that the man in the East can use his forte and get that thang unscrewed!

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
hunter, thank you again. Your posts have been particularly informative, not just for DPL and me, but for this entire little gang of Xvo users.

By the way, I'm pretty sure I've got plenty of BRAZEN, but I also know that the innards of the little guy are quite difficult to work with, so my brazen loses out to my rational.

I'm still hopeful that the man in the East can use his forte and get that thang unscrewed!

I was just planning on using my HANDS... and maybe a needle-nosed pliers.

ps: Is a "forte" what I'm thinking it is, or is it something else entirely? :D

Reactions: Freedom2Vape

Mermaaan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
California
Chels should contact Dicodes and get their chipset, which is being released to vendors in the near future, for a new Xvostick model :) I would be all over that!

I would buy a diXvostick for sure! :)

I love this little mod for what it is but I bought mine knowing it wouldn't see everyday use. I've been favoring my vaporflask stout since I got it and starting to enjoy the temp control with stainless coils.

I tried to enjoy using a tank with the merkava again after using only rdas for the last 2 years but after two days I remembered why I don't use them anymore. I just hate filling them, even with top fill and juice flow control. I vape at just a high enough wattage that it drains the tank too fast and then I need to fiddle with the atty and a bottle of juice. I hate constantly checking to see if my tank is leaking into the xvostick as well. It is just easier and less hassle for me to drip, especially with a top airflow rda with a deep juice well where I can just drip through the drip tip and not worry about over fill.

The merkava is a great tank though and I enjoy the vape, but I've swapped it out for a phenotype-L rda with the top airflow cap. Sitting on top of a vulcanizer 510 heatsink it has the same height profile as a tank. I've got a venturi rda on the way as well and will compare the two with the winner becoming my official xvo atty. I have a feeling the venturi will be the one as the phenotype feels more appropriate for higher wattage use. I'll throw it back on one of my evic vts for that - great little mods for wattage vaping and long battery life for $45 bucks.

ian91

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Westbank, BC Canada
You may want to give the Tilemahos V2 a try. It fits perfectly in the Xvostick and the juice control is simple to use so very easy to top fill without having to remove the tank. For the first week that I used it I kept taking it out to see if there was any leaking but there was nothing. It has been in the Xvo for the last 3 weeks without removing it. Won't remove it now until the wick needs replacing. Only problem with it is that it only holds 3ml. Bought a clone from FT for about $20. I thought that the XVO would be my ADV mod but I find that I use the Evic VTC mini as my prime.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Unfortunately, we're now in a position of possibly needing support again, and I don't think we're going to want to go through anything again (just a case of battle fatigue). One of our four stopped firing, and then complicated itself when the grub screw turned all the way into the base, and appears to have spun sideways somehow. It's now firmly stuck with no ability to turn the plate.

For those who are interested and following the novella of As the Grub Screw Turns....

I have an update for you.

My non-turning plate -- lost grub screw -- non-working XVO hit the shores of Strong Man Land this evening. My bestie, the Gun Slingin' DPL, was bound and determined to use his wits and his brawn to get that plate moving. A teensy bit of effort on his part, and WHIIIIIIIIIIIRL went the plate! YAAAY! :D

The grub screw was happily resting underneath, of course.

So, just for information's sake, what we believe happened was that when I put the plate back on, it a) was not level and straight and 2) did not thread on to the connector properly.

So, in essence, it was not threaded on at all (altho it SEEMED to be), and because of that, there was plenty of space/gap/room for the grub screw to just slip down under the plate.

Once DPL the Magnificent was able to tweezer his way to opening it, it was pretty much a piece of cake to get it aligned and get the grub screw tightened into place.

Sadly at that point, the XVO STILL showed "NO atomizer". A bit more futzing on his part (he lowered the plate), and VOILA! Connection!

My sincere embarrassment and huge appreciation to you for taking care of this for me, DPL. I'm thrilled to be able to have a working XVO again!!!

THANK YOU, Sweets! :wub:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread