“Study finds e-cigarettes affect airways, and quickly”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom09

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2009
Germany
//www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/05/us-e-cigarettes-idUSTRE8041WB20120105"]Reuters article [/URL]on a recent e-cig study:
Researchers in Greece saw changes in the lung function of healthy smokers who puffed on an e-cigarette for just five minutes -- although it's not clear what the long-term result of those responses might be in regular e-cigarette users, the team reports in the journal Chest. […]
For the new study, Vardavas and colleagues in Athens had 30 healthy smokers puff on an e-cigarette to see how it affected their airways.
Theresearchers found that after five minutes, users showed signs of airway constriction -- as measured by several types of breathing tests -- and of inflammation.
It is not known whether that short-term response could translate into health effects in the long run, including lung diseases like emphysema.[…]

CI Vardavas, N Anagnostopoulos, M Kougias, V Evangelopoulou, GN Connolly, PK Behrakis: Acute pulmonary effects of using an e-cigarette: impact onrespiratory flow resistance, impedance and exhaled nitric oxide. Chest, online before print December 22, 2011, doi: 10.1378/chest.11-2443.

//chestjournal.chestpubs.org/content/early/2011/12/21/chest.11-2443.abstract"]Original journal abstract[/URL]:
[…]Conclusions: E-cigarettes assessed in thecontext of this study were found to have immediate adverse physiologic effects after short term that are similar to some of the effects seen with tobaccosmoking, however the long term health effects of e-cigarette use are unknown but potentially adverse and worthy of further investigation.
Only the abstract here. ANTZ©. Would certainly be interesting to read the full article, just to understand the argument.

Edit: adding an //www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/05/study-finds-e-cigarettes-_n_1187166.html"]alternative link to the Reuters article at HuffPost [/URL](comments open).

Last edited by a moderator:

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Every night I do a vigorous 55 minutes on a recumbent exercycle, 18 mph, > 1100 calories, pv on a table beside me, which I will puff on sometimes. Overall I vape 6ml/day, every day. Zero breathing issues.

Did they look for pg-sensitive people for this, then give them 100% pg? Then again, sounds like they used smokers, not vapers, who probably did sharp cigarette type draws.

Scottinboca

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2011
Planet Vapton
There are a lot of factors that need to be looked at. I know when I started to vape, I was not used to it and I would cough. Now I'm used to vaping and I never cough or have any problems. I believe this is just a short term issue and has no effect long term. If this is the only thing that vaping effects as far as health, I would say that it is the way to go!

fumarole

ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2009
I think what this study shows is that you should avoid Greek e-liquid. There are about 4 million people in other countries who haven't experienced this problem - or maybe they don't count.

Or maybe Greek clinical researchers are even more incompetent than the bumbling buffoons we get over here (although that is hardly credible). I know, let's give a bunch of people in Greece a gas station e-cig filled with Greek e-liquid, have the tests run by super-efficient Greek researchers, and then be amazed when the results show no nicotine uptake but a raging sore throat.

Surprise!

WyldRice

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2012
Minnesnowta
I was an "active" smoker- skateboarding, skiing, snowboarding, biking, chasing my kids, etc.
But I climbed our flight of stairs today carrying my daughter, and I was waiting for the wheezing to start by the top stair
(It always has- smoking for 27 years)

a few weeks of vaping and I had no wheezing OR shortness of breath. They can do all the tests they want- it works!
Now, when they compare it to an actual cigarette~ well, we won't find out about those tests... or will we?

CoffeeFairy

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
San Antonio, TX USA
Their control group were puffing on PVs with the cartridges removed?.......okies.....I'm sure that makes sense to someone......

Seems to me like they should have had one group with regular cigarettes, one with e-cigs containing nicotine, another with 0 nic, etc. (including comparing first-time vapers to those who actually know what they're doing) but I guess that's why they're not paying me to set these things up.

twohandedcreations

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2011
orlando florida
IMO, The fact that electronic cigarettes work is whats going to be the death of them...!!!! Theres billions of dollars in profit made in the treatment of smoking related illnesses. ALOT of people would have to take a pay cut if E-cigs actually made it to the front lines of the war against cigarettes...

Dan Patrick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2011
Texas Forest Country
Did you know that we inhale cosmic dust every time we inhale (tiny bits of stars, comets and asteroids), and regular house dust can cause this reaction in our lungs also (mainly the dust mite poo), so should we all just stop inhaling all together to stay safe?

See I knew I was pooping stars and rainbows. This proves it. So when did the testing stop on what regular cigs did to people and they deem it enough. Just wondering how long this is going to last.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
Note, they dont say what bogus type of ecig there using, ( I can just see them now, huffing on dry cartos not properly filled during this test ) and anything inhaled will will have a result on the lungs one way or another. The EXACT test & RESULTS that are performed should be put into the report that is posted, IF NOT, then we should really have someone post a report on this BOGUS news Article posted by Reuters to make Reuters look bad. Period, if they can post BS like this then other organizations can post what a poor article with incomplete information was done by Reuters and possibly the study was also poorly done as well. If I BBQ in my backyard, or fill my car with gas at the fill station, even cook in my own kitchen, inhaling the fumes can have effects on my lungs too. I'm really starting to hate these poorly written articles and even more so a study that is posted without showing everything that was used and how it was used to get results. Either report the whole dam thing and show everything or dont feed the public a bunch of bad BS on e-cigs. These types of articles are purely to put a bad spin on e-cigs and someone was behind this article hitting the mainstream, you can bet your ... on that.

We all know vaping isn't 100% safe, it is an alternative to Smoking, someone needs to do a study showing one vape to one drag of a cigarette for say 3-6 months worth of inhales. Then show those findings on what the health differences are between the two units tested. !

On a second note did they tell those healthy smokers that every drag they take from there real cigarettes that there Lungs are getting blacker from Tar and they are getting closer to death by Cancer & heart disease, Na they left that part out of the article too right. What a joke. The e-cig industry really needs a serious group of people like Cassa to follow up on these types of studies and articles and when there done poorly or for the wrong reason they need to go right back after them with a follow up report telling the good of e-cigs vs Smoking, and stick it right back to em.!!!

Last edited:

SonnyCrack

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2011
Florida
It's sad that we will all throw out or discount any study that looks negative on ecig use. I've had several smokers try my e-cig and immediatly put it down and start coughing insanely.. Usually they smoke it like a cigarette (direct lung inhale).. That would probably be the reason...

We NEED to know if these are safe.. I think we all had issues in the beginning. And yes, perhaps our bodies have adapted (just like they did to cigarettes), that doesn't mean they are safe..

Tom09

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2009
Germany
Reading GN Connolly among the authors (and remembering his polemic TPSAC presentation), there is not much doubt about the authors’ spin. Therefore, the more important seems to understand the actual results of this study. Do we face just another propaganda stunt, like the infamous one pulled by the FDA (exploiting TSNAs, i.e. touting a dangerous product by qualitative TSNA presence - while actually having proven the relative safety due to very low TSNA quantities), or do we face a finding that is threatening the safety of us users? Well, I personally don’t expect the latter, but how to read the data of this study in the appropriate context?
Primary outcome appears to be the measurement of fractional exhaled nitric oxide (FeNO). Found a review article to understand some aspects of the method (Malerba et al. 2008), but what is the actual meaning of this marker?
Input highly appreciated.

KeysBum

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2011
Florida Keys, USA
I don't really give a .... what these quacks come up with. 9 months ago I couldn't free dive deeper than 10'. Riding my bike for 5 miles was a problem. Walk up stairs and I was out of breath. 9 months of no analogs and I can free dive to 30' and stay long enough to shoot a fish. Yesterday I went for a 26 mile ride. I can run up stairs. I know it is good for me!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread