“Study finds e-cigarettes affect airways, and quickly”

Status
Not open for further replies.

wfx

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
VA
We need Vapors that have vaped exclusively for 5 years- "Have you seen any negative effects?"
I'm sure there may be some- but the same can be said for any tobacco product I've liked.
For me it's the lesser of two evils.

yep exactly. that's why i'm here. there are folks several years ahead on this. there's the inherent problem of long term smokers and concomitant health issues, but i haven't seen anything to spook me yet.

SonnyCrack

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2011
Florida
I don't really give a .... what these quacks come up with. 9 months ago I couldn't free dive deeper than 10'. Riding my bike for 5 miles was a problem. Walk up stairs and I was out of breath. 9 months of no analogs and I can free dive to 30' and stay long enough to shoot a fish. Yesterday I went for a 26 mile ride. I can run up stairs. I know it is good for me!!!!

Perhaps you could have inhaled Computer dust cleaner and had better lung function, doesn't mean it won't kill you in 10 years.. Thats why these studies are important... (I know its an extreme example, but I was trying to emphasize the point and right now we don't know).

Noodoggy

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Orlando, FL
it makes sense the airways constricted, because the body isnt used to it. The human body is very adaptable to what it encounters....basically if it doesnt kill you, the body will adapt to it. But the first response is to expell or close off against it. No surprise there! Ever got a smoker to take a puff off your e-cig? they hack and cough like it's volcano ash they are inhaling. Pretty much the same response when we smokers took our first puff of a cigarette. Poor science if you ask me.

ByStander1

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2011
West Virginia
First thing I tell every smoker before they try a pv, "It's not whimpy! Draw into your mouth first, then slowly inhale into your lungs."

Duh, researchers, a dry carto will make a long-term vaper cough. Geesh. Toss some quilt batting onto a hotplate and inhale, bet you'll cough, gag, turn green/blue. Has diddly to do with vaping.

KeysBum

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2011
Florida Keys, USA
Perhaps you could have inhaled Computer dust cleaner and had better lung function, doesn't mean it won't kill you in 10 years.. Thats why these studies are important... (I know its an extreme example, but I was trying to emphasize the point and right now we don't know).

Hey Sunny Crack, (trying not to picture that) If you need to be 100% sure vaping is perfectly safe, wait 15 years for the studies (by the FDA, who we can all trust 100%) to be complete and then decide for yourself it vaping is a better alternative than smoking. I don't need researchers to tell me I'm doing great on the vape, I can feel it.
EDIT: and I don't have the 15 years to wait

Last edited:

pianoguy

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2009
Apple Valley, MN
I'd have to believe that if they took non-smokers and had them inhale a regular cigarette for 5 minutes, they'd have similar results - it is probably the body's way of saying, "Whoa, what is this new substance?". I coughed the first few times I tried vaping until I got used to it. Big deal.

Running Wolf

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2011
North East Ohio
Sounds like faulty test methods ala the ......... kills brain cells study (basically killed chimps via smoke inhalation with no oxygen added).

The study did not mention a control group and double blind studies.

If I can pick that out imagine what a peer reviewed journal treatment of the subject would do.

I can come up with a study that "proves" Dan Patrick does indeed poor stars and rainbows.... will it stand up to peer reviewed inquests? Not likely.

Devilooman

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Indian Trail, NC
Okay so I got here from another post about this article and I see that everyone is talking about the healthy smokers... but if you read the methods section from CHEST it is actually healthy NON smokers!

"30 healthy non smokers (ages 19-56, 14 male) participated in this laboratory based experimental vs. control group study."

Can you imagine the impedence that a non smoker would have with vaping... LOL smokers usually can't handle it.

Newwell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
Piece of Heaven,OR
IMO, The fact that electronic cigarettes work is whats going to be the death of them...!!!! Theres billions of dollars in profit made in the treatment of smoking related illnesses. ALOT of people would have to take a pay cut if E-cigs actually made it to the front lines of the war against cigarettes...
TOTALLY agree w/twohanded. E-cigs were the easiest & most effective quitting method I had ever tried & I'd tried numerous times over the last 30 years to quit analogs. In all my years I never heard of e-cigs & only accidentally came across them on the internet. Now both my husband & I have quit smoking, feel better, don't hack/cough/wheeze, & saving $$$$.

Why hadn't I heard about e-cigs before???? I've got my opinions about the answer. (And it p#%$es me off.)

Last edited:

wfx

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
VA
Primary outcome appears to be the measurement of fractional exhaled nitric oxide (FeNO). Found a review article to understand some aspects of the method (Malerba et al. 2008), but what is the actual meaning of this marker?
Input highly appreciated.

i'm sure vaping beats smoking, but i would like to understand this FeNO metric as well. increased risk of asthma?

http://allergynotes.blogspot.com/2007/09/exhaled-nitric-oxide-feno-in-asthma-and.html?m=1

Active and passive smoking decreased FeNO levels in adults.

Stifle

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2011
San Diego, CA
Let me play devil's advocate...

My major concern with vaping is the effect of PG on the lungs as it is a diuretic. If this is in some way related to that, I think I could understand it.

However, airway constriction is a very common response to a foreign substance being inhaled into the lungs. I would be intrigued to see the impact of these same test subjects when tested side by side versus cigarettes. I would imagine the constriction of airways would be the same if not worse when they inhaled tobacco smoke.

But, when you look at the evidence here... this seems like a shotty test without the controls, clear test parameters and background to be considered "legit".

IMHO..this WREAKS of a test funded by tobacco companies. I.E. - lets not clearly explain what happened, lets just find a way to make it sound bad..

"For the new study, Vardavas and colleagues in Athens had 30 healthy smokers puff on an e-cigarette to see how it affected their airways.
Theresearchers found that after five minutes, users showed signs of airway constriction -- as measured by several types of breathing tests -- and of inflammation."
Amazing-they used smokers and found the effects of smoking. I have never been a smoker. I vape heavy. I have no airway obstruction, do an hour of strength training and 30 minutes of HI cardio a day. They should have used non smokers.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread