“Study finds e-cigarettes affect airways, and quickly”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
That could be quite correct.The report should be useful for people who think ecigs are absolutely safe so much so that they give them to their 60 year old mother who remained smokefree for a decade.And for those who think nobody should object to inhaling PG?Vg laced air in a closed room.

Strangely enough, there doesn't seem to be a vast demand for these products among people who are non-smokers or who have been long-term former smokers. The largest survey of consumers, with 3,587 respondents, found that 0.3% of the overall group of respondents identified themselves as never smokers. The survey did not ask, however, whether the never smokers might have been using a different form of tobacco than cigarettes.

There were 3,037 "ever users" of an e-cigarette, leaving 550 people who responded to a survey about e-cigarette use despite the fact that they had never used one.

Reasons for use
E-cigarettes were used because they were perceived to be less toxic than tobacco (84%), to quit smoking or avoid relapsing (77%), to deal with craving for tobacco (79%) and tobacco withdrawal symptoms (67%), and because they were cheaper than smoking (57%) (Table 4). Other less common reasons were to avoid bothering other people with tobacco smoke (44%), to deal with smokefree situations (39%) or to avoid having to go outside to smoke (34%). Fewer used the e-cigarette to reduce tobacco consumption (28%), and far fewer reported being unable to stop using it (4%).

Etter JF, Bullen C. Electronic cigarette: users profile, utilization, satisfaction and perceived efficacy. Addiction, 106: 2017–2028. Electronic cigarette: users profile, utilization, satisfaction and perceived efficacy - Etter - 2011 - Addiction - Wiley Online Library (accessed June 2011) Full Text: Electronic Cigarettes

My husband attended VaperCon with me this past fall. He is a former smoker who has never used an e-cigarette. Despite the fact that there were at least 150 vapers in the room, there was no visible fog hanging around. My husband commented that the air was clear and easy-to-breathe, with no noticeable odor. Bill Godshall, who also does not smoke and does not use an e-cigarette, reported a similar experience at VapeFest in 2010.

According to Health New Zealand, propylene glycol is largely absorbed and little is exhaled.

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
Strangely enough, there doesn't seem to be a vast demand for these products among people who are non-smokers or who have been long-term former smokers. The largest survey of consumers, with 3,587 respondents, found that 0.3% of the overall group of respondents identified themselves as never smokers. The survey did not ask, however, whether the never smokers might have been using a different form of tobacco than cigarettes.

There were 3,037 "ever users" of an e-cigarette, leaving 550 people who responded to a survey about e-cigarette use despite the fact that they had never used one.

Etter JF, Bullen C. Electronic cigarette: users profile, utilization, satisfaction and perceived efficacy. Addiction, 106: 2017–2028. Electronic cigarette: users profile, utilization, satisfaction and perceived efficacy - Etter - 2011 - Addiction - Wiley Online Library (accessed June 2011) Full Text: Electronic Cigarettes

My husband attended VaperCon with me this past fall. He is a former smoker who has never used an e-cigarette. Despite the fact that there were at least 150 vapers in the room, there was no visible fog hanging around. My husband commented that the air was clear and easy-to-breathe, with no noticeable odor. Bill Godshall, who also does not smoke and does not use an e-cigarette, reported a similar experience at VapeFest in 2010.

According to Health New Zealand, propylene glycol is largely absorbed and little is exhaled.
Actually,I think Nopatch is a troll with the intent of creating an OCCUPY ECF movement.

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
You know, they could have used a bad e-cig too...one that the liquid had dried up in...I've vaped a bad carto before that was dry...instant sore throat. Did I read that right- ONE STUDY SUBJECT??? A good study must be replicated and have more subjects. This is not good science at all.

Oops- my bad- 30 subjects...still not enough....

...30 smokers ...5 minutes ...conclusions drawn. :glare:

Some things that pass as "research" are a freakin' joke. Unfortunately it's "research" like this that is all the "...for the children!!!" contingent seem to need or rely upon.

It helps to remember that "tobacco research" is a grant goldmine for prospective doctors and bio-engineers: Frequently there is more available grant money for tobacco research than there are good ideas for studies that will teach us something we don't already know without conflicting with the "interests" of the grantors and getting blacklisted. When somebody comes up with a new method of measuring something, such as this "IOS" device that they claim is more sensitive than spirometry, there is a tendency to do "incremental research": Lots of little tiny studies that will lead to a "smallest publishable result"--in other words, gather enough information to get a paper published without exhaustively covering the subject and leaving nothing for your next grant application.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Vocalek wrote:

The following letter provides additional information to help us evaluate what the research did and did not establish scientifically.

To the Editors:

The findings by Vardavas and colleagues are not conclusive due to the small number of subjects studied, the choice of study outcomes of unclear clinical relevance, together with the lack of appropriate study controls. [1] The small changes in FeNO and peripheral flow resistance (IOS) reported may be non specific. A possible explanation for the small decrease in FeNO and the trivial increase in peripheral flow resistance (IOS) is that the mist generated by the e-cigarette per se might have contributed to these changes. In a series of pilot studies aimed at optimizing the distribution of several respiratory investigations within a protocol for the detailed characterization of the asthma phenotype (U-BIOPRED), researchers discovered that nebulization of saline can reduce FeNO up to 25% from baseline (personal observation). For this reason baseline assessment of induced sputum has to follow measurement of FeNO. Therefore, authors should have included a different control (e.g. saline mist generated by a ultrasonic nebulizer) for their study. Also, another reasonable comparator that should have been used as control was participants’ own brand cigarette.

In the Summary, the authors state that the e-cigarettes tested in their study "have immediate adverse physiologic effects after short term use that are similar to some of the effects seen with tobacco smoking". The reported 16% decrease in FeNO (i.e. 2.1 ppb in absolute term!) and 11% increase in peripheral flow resistance (IOS) (i.e. 0.025 kPa/L/s in absolute term!) after e-cigarette use from baseline are so small and well within tests variability [2,3] that it is highly unlikely to have meaningful adverse effects.

Of note, no changes were detected by canonical pulmonary function testing after e-cigarette use. Detailed toxicology characterization of the components contained in the e-cigarettes tested in the study demonstrates that their primary components (i.e. water, propylene glycol, and nicotine) are not harmful, and this is in agreement with the detailed analysis of e-cigarette toxicology by Cahn and Siegel [4]. Moreover, a recent clinical safety assessment of one such product in 40 smokers showed that mouth and throat irritation and dry cough were commonly reported in the initial few weeks of use, but all appeared to wane spontaneously by the end of the study, after 24 weeks of regular use [5]. Thus the authors’ conclusions are not fully supported by the data, and the accumulating evidence is rather strongly supportive of a good safety profile for the e-cigarettes.

References

1. Vardavas CI, Anagnostopoulos N, Kougias M, Evangelopoulou V, Connolly GN, Behrakis PK. Acute pulmonary effects of using an e-cigarette: impact on respiratory flow resistance, impedance and exhaled nitric oxide. Chest. 2011 Dec 22. [Epub ahead of print].
2. Oostveen E, MacLeod D, Lorino H, et al. The forced oscillation technique in clinical practice: methodology, recommendations and future developments. Eur Respir J 2003; 22:1026-1041.
3. Dweik RA, Boggs PB, Erzurum SC, Irvin CG, Leigh MW, Lundberg JO, Olin AC, Plummer AL, Taylor DR; American Thoracic Society Committee on Interpretation of Exhaled Nitric Oxide Levels (FENO) for Clinical Applications. An official ATS clinical practice guideline: interpretation of exhaled nitric oxide levels (FENO)
for clinical applications. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2011;184(5):602-15.
4. Cahn Z, Siegel M. Electronic cigarettes as a harm reduction strategy for tobacco control: A step forward or a repeat of past mistakes? J Public Health Policy. 2011;32(1):16-31.
5. Polosa R, Caponnetto P, Morjaria JB, Papale G, Campagna D, Russo C. Effect of an electronic nicotine delivery device (e-Cigarette) on smoking reduction and cessation: a prospective 6-month pilot study. BMC Public Health. 2011;11:786.

Who was/were the author(s) of this letter, was it published, and is there a weblink?

Wifabif

Jul 8, 2011
Oregon
I stopped and read that sentence again, too, cocked my head to the side, and said... "HUH!?" I instinctively mistrusted every following sentence, seeing as their idea of what "healthy lung function" is seems flawed from the start.

By the middle of day 2 vaping, I felt deeper breaths. Day 6 my sense of smell returned. Day 7 I hardly huffed climbing stairs and carrying heavy stock at work. With the impending possibility of running out of liquid before the arrival of Monday's mail, smoked ONE DRAG of a cigarette to "get by", and the burning, sharp, harsh smoke was enough that I could throw it out the window after that drag, and never pick up another. It HURT.

I was not healthy while smoking, and it was because of my unhealthy lungs that I made little effort to actually get healthier. One some liquids, if I don't fully exhale, I do (very rarely) get a wheezy feeling like there's still vapor in there, but a big exhale rids me of the momentary sensation. I also then switched to a different liquid base, and all is resolved. (Those who want to try mine out also tend to strive for a very thick vapor draw under the assumption it is weaker than smoke because it doesn't burn, and are startled, then cough, then the head high hits, and I smile. Love shouldn't hurt).

OMG considering that PG is found in BREATHING TREATMENTS these people are ......ed. So the chemical you use to open peoples airways and help them breathe constricts airways, huh? Ok.

The study claims to be the first to prove that e-cigarette vapor has an acute physiologic effect on airways, but considering that the effect was a REDUCTION in exhaled Nitric Oxide, there is no indication that e-cigarettes adversely affect anything.

sppowers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2011
Boston
Just a Quote from Smoking and cancer: What happens in your body? : Cancer Research UK

I don't give a **** if I am gasping for air after a vape session for a few minutes (which does not happen thankfully) I would rather have that than everything in the link above. VAPE ON:vapor: :vapor: :vapor:

When you inhale the smoke, it damages the tissues of your airways and lungs. Chemicals like nitrogen oxide can constrict your airways, forcing your lungs to do more work and making breathing more difficult.

Hydrogen cyanide, carbon monoxide and ammonia weaken the natural cleaning mechanisms that clear your lungs and airways of toxins. This means that other dangerous chemicals, bacteria and viruses that you inhale stay inside your lungs.

Radioactive polonium-210 becomes deposited at the points where your airways split to connect to your lungs. This can subject local cells to much more radiation than they would otherwise experience.

From the lungs, cancer-causing chemicals and other poisons in tobacco smoke are absorbed into your bloodstream. These poisons are then carried to other parts of your body.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread