The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

“Study finds e-cigarettes affect airways, and quickly”

Discussion in 'Media and General News' started by Tom09, Jan 5, 2012.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Vocalek

Vocalek CASAA Activist ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 7, 2009
    Springfield, VA
    Strangely enough, there doesn't seem to be a vast demand for these products among people who are non-smokers or who have been long-term former smokers. The largest survey of consumers, with 3,587 respondents, found that 0.3% of the overall group of respondents identified themselves as never smokers. The survey did not ask, however, whether the never smokers might have been using a different form of tobacco than cigarettes.

There were 3,037 "ever users" of an e-cigarette, leaving 550 people who responded to a survey about e-cigarette use despite the fact that they had never used one.

Etter JF, Bullen C. Electronic cigarette: users profile, utilization, satisfaction and perceived efficacy. Addiction, 106: 2017–2028. Electronic cigarette: users profile, utilization, satisfaction and perceived efficacy - Etter - 2011 - Addiction - Wiley Online Library (accessed June 2011) Full Text: Electronic Cigarettes

My husband attended VaperCon with me this past fall. He is a former smoker who has never used an e-cigarette. Despite the fact that there were at least 150 vapers in the room, there was no visible fog hanging around. My husband commented that the air was clear and easy-to-breathe, with no noticeable odor. Bill Godshall, who also does not smoke and does not use an e-cigarette, reported a similar experience at VapeFest in 2010.

According to Health New Zealand, propylene glycol is largely absorbed and little is exhaled.

2. Luisa

Luisa Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2010
    harlingen,texas
    Actually,I think Nopatch is a troll with the intent of creating an OCCUPY ECF movement.

3. Rickajho

Rickajho ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 23, 2011
    Boston MA
    ...30 smokers ...5 minutes ...conclusions drawn. :glare:

Some things that pass as "research" are a freakin' joke. Unfortunately it's "research" like this that is all the "...for the children!!!" contingent seem to need or rely upon.

4. neongirl

neongirl Full Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Malmö
    I started smoking when I was 14 years old. In my early 30s I had managed to smoke my way to astma. After I started vaping instead of smoking my astma is almost gone.

5. TennDave

TennDave Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 19, 2010
    Knoxville, TN
    You know, they could have used a bad e-cig too...one that the liquid had dried up in...I've vaped a bad carto before that was dry...instant sore throat. Did I read that right- ONE STUDY SUBJECT??? A good study must be replicated and have more subjects. This is not good science at all.

Oops- my bad- 30 subjects...still not enough....

6. Thulium

Thulium Ultra Member ECF Veteran

It helps to remember that "tobacco research" is a grant goldmine for prospective doctors and bio-engineers: Frequently there is more available grant money for tobacco research than there are good ideas for studies that will teach us something we don't already know without conflicting with the "interests" of the grantors and getting blacklisted. When somebody comes up with a new method of measuring something, such as this "IOS" device that they claim is more sensitive than spirometry, there is a tendency to do "incremental research": Lots of little tiny studies that will lead to a "smallest publishable result"--in other words, gather enough information to get a paper published without exhaustively covering the subject and leaving nothing for your next grant application.

7. Bill Godshall

Bill Godshall Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania ECF Veteran

Apr 2, 2009
    Vocalek wrote:

Who was/were the author(s) of this letter, was it published, and is there a weblink?

8. Wifabif

Wifabif Full Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I stopped and read that sentence again, too, cocked my head to the side, and said... "HUH!?" I instinctively mistrusted every following sentence, seeing as their idea of what "healthy lung function" is seems flawed from the start.

By the middle of day 2 vaping, I felt deeper breaths. Day 6 my sense of smell returned. Day 7 I hardly huffed climbing stairs and carrying heavy stock at work. With the impending possibility of running out of liquid before the arrival of Monday's mail, smoked ONE DRAG of a cigarette to "get by", and the burning, sharp, harsh smoke was enough that I could throw it out the window after that drag, and never pick up another. It HURT.

I was not healthy while smoking, and it was because of my unhealthy lungs that I made little effort to actually get healthier. One some liquids, if I don't fully exhale, I do (very rarely) get a wheezy feeling like there's still vapor in there, but a big exhale rids me of the momentary sensation. I also then switched to a different liquid base, and all is resolved. (Those who want to try mine out also tend to strive for a very thick vapor draw under the assumption it is weaker than smoke because it doesn't burn, and are startled, then cough, then the head high hits, and I smile. Love shouldn't hurt).

9. kfig

kfig Senior Member Verified Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    OMG considering that PG is found in BREATHING TREATMENTS these people are retarded. So the chemical you use to open peoples airways and help them breathe constricts airways, huh? Ok.

10. Thulium

Thulium Ultra Member ECF Veteran

The study claims to be the first to prove that e-cigarette vapor has an acute physiologic effect on airways, but considering that the effect was a REDUCTION in exhaled Nitric Oxide, there is no indication that e-cigarettes adversely affect anything.

11. sppowers

sppowers Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    Boston
    Just a Quote from Smoking and cancer: What happens in your body? : Cancer Research UK

I don't give a **** if I am gasping for air after a vape session for a few minutes (which does not happen thankfully) I would rather have that than everything in the link above. VAPE ON:vapor: :vapor: :vapor:

When you inhale the smoke, it damages the tissues of your airways and lungs. Chemicals like nitrogen oxide can constrict your airways, forcing your lungs to do more work and making breathing more difficult.

Hydrogen cyanide, carbon monoxide and ammonia weaken the natural cleaning mechanisms that clear your lungs and airways of toxins. This means that other dangerous chemicals, bacteria and viruses that you inhale stay inside your lungs.

Radioactive polonium-210 becomes deposited at the points where your airways split to connect to your lungs. This can subject local cells to much more radiation than they would otherwise experience.

From the lungs, cancer-causing chemicals and other poisons in tobacco smoke are absorbed into your bloodstream. These poisons are then carried to other parts of your body.

12. Petrodus

Petrodus Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2010
    Midwest
    A Recent Study ... bla bla bla

Want to influence (sell) the public on anything ???
    Just include the phrase "A Study" in the title.
    It gives the "illusion" of Unbiased Extensive and True Science

Food for thought:
    How many "conclusions" do you think were written
    "Before" so-called studies were conducted?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.