◙ Li’l PINCH (←thang) ◙ pdib (←maker) ◙ not sayin’ (←just sayin’) ◙ shuh-ZAM! (←hyperbole)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Can I store my 20700's in the freezer for a year or two?
Yes, you can. Make sure they're at around 3.6V rather than fully charged no matter what temperature you store them at. Very important: If you use cold storage, make sure you allow the cells to come fully to room temperature before charging them. I suggest giving them a full 24 hours to warm up.

IIRC Mooch said not to put them in the freezer, and there was no advantage to putting them in the fridge.
I hate to disagree with Mooch, but on this point I will. I'm running a long-term experiment with eight unused VTC5A cells. I started it in summer of 2019. Two were stored at room temp fully charged. Two at room temp at ~3.6V. Two in the fridge at ~3.6V. Two in the freezer at ~3.6V. All cells were tested for AC IR and capacity before being stored, and again after one year. Lower temps during storage do help. The difference isn't huge, but it is measurable after a year.

All eight cells went back into their assigned storage conditions after being tested and I plan to re-test them again next summer. I've also added eight more cells from another manufacturer (P26A) to the test as of this summer.

TamiPac

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 10, 2014
SE Texas
Yes, you can. Make sure they're at around 3.6V rather than fully charged no matter what temperature you store them at. Very important: If you use cold storage, make sure you allow the cells to come fully to room temperature before charging them. I suggest giving them a full 24 hours to warm up.

I hate to disagree with Mooch, but on this point I will. I'm running a long-term experiment with eight unused VTC5A cells. I started it in summer of 2019. Two were stored at room temp fully charged. Two at room temp at ~3.6V. Two in the fridge at ~3.6V. Two in the freezer at ~3.6V. All cells were tested for AC IR and capacity before being stored, and again after one year. Lower temps during storage do help. The difference isn't huge, but it is measurable after a year.

All eight cells went back into their assigned storage conditions after being tested and I plan to re-test them again next summer. I've also added eight more cells from another manufacturer (P26A) to the test as of this summer.
Oh good! :wub: The batteries I have been using are being discontinued and at under $5 each I would like to grab some for the next full change out!

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Capacity loss after 1 year:
Room Temp, Full Charge #1: 3.24%
Room Temp, Full Charge #2: 3.20%
Room Temp, ~3.6V #1: 2.44%
Room Temp, ~3.6V #2: 2.16%
Fridge, ~3.6V #1: 1.24%
Fridge, ~3.6V #2: 0.92%
Freezer, ~3.6V #1: 0.92%
Freezer, ~3.6V #1: 0.88%

As you can see, the difference between room temp and fridge is significant, but the difference between fridge and freezer is marginal.

Tests were done using a West Mountain Radio CBA-HR.

One of these days, I really should write up all of my test data (there's a lot of it!) in a dedicated thread in the batteries & charger section of the forum, but it's a somewhat daunting project that will take several uninterrupted hours to do right.

X-Puppy

Cloud Hound!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2013
Marysville, Washington, USA
Any change in internal resistance?

Sometimes freezing something can change the molecular structure. Just thinking out lound...

BTW, I just bought another 10 molicels from Illumination Supply, I noticed I had to do a search for them. They didn't show up when I searched 18650's. ? ? :confused:

TamiPac

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 10, 2014
SE Texas

Sometimes freezing something can change the molecular structure. Just thinking out lound...

BTW, I just bought another 10 molicels from Illumination Supply, I noticed I had to do a search for them. They didn't show up when I searched 18650's. ? ? :confused:
lound......is that a puppy thing?
Molicel is the one being discontinued.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I hadn't looked at that in detail previously, but just did:

A/C IR change after one year:
Room Temp, Full Charge #1: 1.025
Room Temp, Full Charge #2: 1.031
Room Temp, ~3.6V #1: 0.995
Room Temp, ~3.6V #2: 0.997
Fridge, ~3.6V #1: 1.012
Fridge, ~3.6V #2: 0.997
Freezer, ~3.6V #1: 1.017
Freezer, ~3.6V #1: 1.019

As expected, the cells stored at full charge did worst (A/C IR increased the most). Curiously, the ones stored at ~3.6V at room temperature actually dropped a tiny bit (although that last digit is probably within the margin of error). And the cells stored in the fridge seem to have done a bit better than the ones stored in the freezer.

So it's possible the fridge is actually the best compromise. We'll see if that holds true in subsequent years.

PS: A/C IR tested with a Vapcell YR1030. Each cell was tested both at full charge just before capacity testing, and again after being discharged to 2.8V during capacity testing and then allowed to recover for a few hours. The values above are a change in the average of both of both of these readings.

Sometimes freezing something can change the molecular structure.
My understanding is that that the electrolytes in these cells aren't water-based, and there's no "freezing" per se. Data sheets do allow storage at freezer temperatures, but it's accepted that cells should never be charged while that cold, so there must be something that happens there that may not be 100% reversible?

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I seem to recall that @Doffy likes birds.

Weather kinda stinks today (windy, gray, and dreary) but these guys were out, and I've not seen them here previously:

6m6FSG9.jpg

White Ibis, I think.

TamiPac

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 10, 2014
SE Texas
Mum has developed quite a chocolate addiction, since quitting smoking. So I've been buying lots of mint patties and stuff that I haven't had in years :)
Do you have eating evolved chocolate over there? It's food not candy but it sure has me fooled!

TamiPac

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 10, 2014
SE Texas
I think so. Panna is the more popular organic type option here. Which is good, but pricey
I just had a look at them. It looks delicious! I order eating evolved cuz I'm an addict! :lol: I'm getting more than one advent calendar from them so the granddaughter and I can each have a piece every day. :evil:

TamiPac

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 10, 2014
SE Texas
You know that movie the 6th sense? Where Bruce Willis gets shot, then says he thinks he is OK because it doesn't hurt any more?

That's how I am with my burn, so a bit worried
I'n a go way out on a limb here and predict you'll be fine!
Those fritters look delicious! Nicely done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread