◙ Li’l PINCH (←thang) ◙ pdib (←maker) ◙ not sayin’ (←just sayin’) ◙ shuh-ZAM! (←hyperbole)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TamiPac

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 10, 2014
SE Texas

Finance
Darwin mum’s Slappa’s Thongs business hits $1m in a year

A Northern Territory mum working odd jobs while raising her two young kids stumbled upon a lucrative business idea that just hit the $1 million mark.

Alex Turner-Cohen
3 min read
September 2, 2021 - 6:17PM
217d2f441de01752f4e43ba6e75deeb2

Katherine Hampton from online store Camp Cove Swim gives her top tips for running a successful start-up.
View attachment 955197
A Northern Territory mum who was working odd jobs while raising her two young kids stumbled upon a lucrative business idea that just hit the $1 million mark in sales.

Denise Dunn, 50, quit her corporate job in banking when she had her son, Bernie, now aged 16, followed by her daughter, Kaylee, aged 14.

“I wasn’t at all looking to start my own business,” the Darwin woman told news.com.au.

“The idea was to be home for my children.”

Her husband Roger, 54, worked as a licence valuer while she did a number of part-time gigs including running a short-term accommodation in the downstairs part of their house, reception at a beauty salon and selling thongs for a friend.

“I got a little bored, and needed to keep myself occupied,” she said.

What came next was a business idea that would propel the Dunn family into millionaire status.

a8179888807d724ba3b1462590190fd7

The business launched in 2010.
Denise Dunn quit her job to raise her two kids.
In 2010, Ms Dunn was selling another brand of thongs for a friend.

“Some of the customers were saying they didn’t have arch support,” she recalled.

“I was talking about it to a friend and they said ‘what thongs have arch support in them?’

“I was always up for a bit of a challenge and before I knew it, in about six months, I had sourced a factory and had my first range made.”

Enter, Slappa’s Thongs.

The thongs are made from one piece of EVA foam with built-in arch support and sell for $39.95.

Ms Dunn didn’t want to be in debt so she dipped into her savings, spending $25,000 to design a thong mould which could then be produced en masse at a factory in China.

She sold them at the Mindil Beach Sunset Markets which run for six months a year during the dry season.

The thongs were an instant hit.

Denise Dunn and her family.
Where it all started at Mindil Markets.
“It grew really quickly,” Ms Dunn said.

“I had to give up all the other jobs. I closed the short-term accommodation because it turned into our office and warehouse.”

However, there was a problem because of the market’s seasonal nature.

“For six months I’d earn an income, and other months I didn’t,” the entrepreneur said.

“It proved really quickly that we needed to go online.”

Online sales is now the biggest part of her business.

Bernie Dunn, Denise’s oldest child, trying on a pair of his mum’s invention.
Denise Dunn cracked the $1 million mark last year.
Her husband was “needing a change” and quit his corporate job to work under her, mainly to pack orders.

Fast forward 11 years and Slappa’s Thongs had a record year, with nearly $1 million worth of sales last year.

Sales increased by 20 per cent in 2020 – which Ms Dunn thinks is thanks to the Covid-19 pandemic.

She believes “a lot more people are probably needing a pair of thongs” as they are forced to travel around Australia rather than the rest of the world.

Slappa’s thongs sells mostly to Australians but also US citizens and New Zealanders.
The thongs are made in China but designed by Ms Dunn.
The thongs are stocked in pharmacies, physiotherapists, podiatrists, retail stores, and shore stores across the country.

Their stockists also buy the shoes to sell on at local markets around Australia.

They now have a warehouse off-site, rather than working in the basement of their house.

The Dunn couple have one part-timer working for them and are about to open a fulfilment centre in Adelaide.

They also sell the thongs in the US and New Zealand.

Ms Dunn was due to visit the factory in China just a few days after the international travel ban was announced in March last year.

As a result, any changes she wants to make to the mould or the decision to add a new size takes a lot longer than usual, as she isn’t able to conduct quality control at the factory.

“Production takes a lot longer, you’ve got to rely on checking the samples,” she said.

SLAPPA’S THONGS’ BRUSH WITH FAME

The thongs have such vibrant colours and patterns that they have attracted the interest of celebrities – and even royals.

During Prince William and Kate’s visit to Australia in 2014, they stopped off in the Northern Territory.

Local business owners displayed their goods on a table and Princess Kate picked up a pair of Slappa’s Thongs, according to Ms Dunn.

Earlier this year, at Australian Fashion Week, model and influencer Karla Špetić wore their shoes as she strutted down the catwalk.

“She loved the design and the colours,” Ms Dunn said.
Is this to let us know you're changing shoe styles?

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
that Instagram post of mine (from this evening) was to say that I got in permanently (or indefinitely) as an artist showing his work at the Fogue Gallery (which is where the Recycled Art Exhibit that I was so excited about took place . .. . and which is what this opportunity stems from).
So, I'm super-double excited and those are the 5 lamps I'm kicking off my Fogue presence with.

Doffy, since there's no time limit on this one . . .. . start walkin' :p
(after your wee nap, of course)

X-Puppy

Cloud Hound!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2013
Marysville, Washington, USA
He just keeps outdoing himself! I LOVE them all.
Only Peter could outdo Peter! :rolleyes:

I don't think it would be accurate to call the newer works better than the older ones but I definitely love the direction his creativity is going.

Very VERY attractive pieces of art! :w00t:

I really love your work Peter! Your passion really shines through. There's no doubt this has to be deeply satisfying.

Rock on bud! :headbang:

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
had dentist today

she said pain is just my gums, and dislodged filling that is no biggy

but 3 teeth they said really should hurt. And are you sure those don't hurt? And are they uncomfortable? but they put cold on them and i felt the cold. So they think root canals will sort them out. Unless they drill it and it crumbles, or something

and 4 wisdoms to come out. Which means no vaping and no coffee, and no coffee and no vaping. So hopefully pain killers knock me out for a week cold

then some patching up of others that is no biggy

follow up on 6th october to do something. I don't know what. But today was just looking and agreeing between 3 dental types that yep, pretty borked

• Optimistic
Reactions: kas122461

TamiPac

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 10, 2014
SE Texas
had dentist today

she said pain is just my gums, and dislodged filling that is no biggy

but 3 teeth they said really should hurt. And are you sure those don't hurt? And are they uncomfortable? but they put cold on them and i felt the cold. So they think root canals will sort them out. Unless they drill it and it crumbles, or something

and 4 wisdoms to come out. Which means no vaping and no coffee, and no coffee and no vaping. So hopefully pain killers knock me out for a week cold

then some patching up of others that is no biggy

follow up on 6th october to do something. I don't know what. But today was just looking and agreeing between 3 dental types that yep, pretty borked
From personal experience. If you bite down on cotton whilst drawing a vape...no dry socket.

keithu2

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Honolulu, HI, USA
From personal experience. If you bite down on cotton whilst drawing a vape...no dry socket.

If he gets four done at one time, that will be a challenge. They don’t even want you to drink from a straw.
Root canal wasn’t as bad as long as the assistant suctions enough to keep you from drowning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree
Reactions: TamiPac

TamiPac

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 10, 2014
SE Texas
If he gets four done at one time, that will be a challenge. They don’t even want you to drink from a straw.
Root canal wasn’t as bad as long as the assistant suctions enough to keep you from drowning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's as easy with 4 and you only need 2 pieces of cotton roll. Cover the wounds and keep your teeth closed. I actually vaped the whole time when I had all my teeth extracted for dentures. You just have to be sure the open holes are covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread