♥ OK - an RY4 recipe I am not embarrassed to share ♥

Status
Not open for further replies.

-KT-

Oct 12, 2017
Hi All,

I just started making my own e-juices. I did a bunch of experiments, and most of them were "OK" - but not great.

This one is pretty good. Since I think RY4 already has vanilla in it (among other things), this was not rocket science. Basically, I just made it more vanilla-y.

It's super creamy on the inhale, and somewhat sweet on the exhale (likely due to the vanilla bourbon - which doesn't contain bourbon, LOL). It actually doesn't have much of a tobacco flavor, or actually much of a vanilla flavor, either. To me, it tastes a little bit like bananas!

I *think* that some vanilla flavorings contain isovaleraldehyde:

http://prod.adv-bio.com/SDS/6097sds.pdf

. . . which could explain the banana overtones:

isovaleraldehyde   590-86-3

But I'm overthinking this! All I know is it's not too bad of an ejuice. Been vaping it all day, and it became better throughout the day. When I made it last night, it was way too creamy tasting. Now it's about right. I can't wait to see how it tastes over the next several days or weeks. Luckily I made enough to keep some around for a while.

Without further ado:

RY4 (Hangsen) 5%
Vanilla (Hangsen) 2%
Vanilla Bourbon with Cream (Purilum) 1.5%

-KT-

Oct 12, 2017
Hangsens RY4 is pretty good on it's own. Currently vaping a Hangsen RY4 at 5%, 50/50, and 4mg nic. Only thing I don't like is the lack of throat hit. Too smooth for me.
I like it on its own too. In fact, I was making some more RY4 when I decided to test adding some extra flavors. If you like Hangsen RY4, you might also like their Indian Tobacco.

Yes, I'm vaping at 12mg, so I pretty much always get good throat hit!

Have you tried adding, rum, whiskey, or brandy flavors? I'm just kind of guessing, but I think those might cut through the creaminess. Maybe even a small amount of menthol?

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Reactions: NicotineRush

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Tested some HS RY4 yesterday that I mixed 10 days ago at 10%. I used the milk frother a couple of times and shaked it daily. It's probably the best mix of HS RY4 flavor I've tried yet. 5% and 7% mixes always needed something else ... vanilla and caramel, usually. This one is good as a standalone.

I've always stuck to the standard 5% and 7% Hangsen mix levels, but I'm branching out and trying Some out of the Box percentages and finding some to be reqarding. FA SOHO at 20% is a great vape ... who'da thought a Flavourart flavor would be good that level?

Reactions: -KT-

-KT-

Oct 12, 2017
Bourbon vanilla describes where the vanilla came from, not what it contains.
Yup. Named after the old name for this island.
62a07df71832457f1ff80ae8cdb75fa3.jpg

-KT-

Oct 12, 2017
Tested some HS RY4 yesterday that I mixed 10 days ago at 10%. I used the milk frother a couple of times and shaked it daily. It's probably the best mix of HS RY4 flavor I've tried yet. 5% and 7% mixes always needed something else ... vanilla and caramel, usually. This one is good as a standalone.

I've always stuck to the standard 5% and 7% Hangsen mix levels, but I'm branching out and trying Some out of the Box percentages and finding some to be reqarding. FA SOHO at 20% is a great vape ... who'da thought a Flavourart flavor would be good that level?
Yes, I mixed mine into some existing "straight" RY4 that had been steeping for a while. It seemed to increase the speed at which the entire new mixture steeps. It throws off the mix a bit, but there was only a few ml left. So percentage-wise, only maybe a fraction of a percent.

Reactions: DaveP

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Yes, I mixed mine into some existing "straight" RY4 that had been steeping for a while. It seemed to increase the speed at which the entire new mixture steeps. It throws off the mix a bit, but there was only a few ml left. So percentage-wise, only maybe a fraction of a percent.

Some of the long time DIYers here recommend 10% old juice for seeding a new mix and shortening the steep time. I haven't really stressed that in my DIY recipes because I've always got enough juice to last until the new batch is mature. For those flavors that I have some in the bottom of the bottle, I'll pour that into the same flavor mix and it does seem to hasten the color change.

I've been known to vape a couple of flavors at the end of the first week. They are gone pretty quickly once I start on them. I like most tobacco flavors after a short steep while they are in the light color change stage. When they've hit the 4 week level I frequently find to be on the edge of over-flavored and have to adjust the mix.

It's sometimes like making biscuits. A pinch of this and a little of that. Writing down the changes saves time!

-KT-

Oct 12, 2017
Some of the long time DIYers here recommend 10% old juice for seeding a new mix and shortening the steep time. I haven't really stressed that in my DIY recipes because I've always got enough juice to last until the new batch is mature. For those flavors that I have some in the bottom of the bottle, I'll pour that into the same flavor mix and it does seem to hasten the color change.

I've been known to vape a couple of flavors at the end of the first week. They are gone pretty quickly once I start on them. I like most tobacco flavors after a short steep while they are in the light color change stage. When they've hit the 4 week level I frequently find to be on the edge of over-flavored and have to adjust the mix.

It's sometimes like making biscuits. A pinch of this and a little of that. Writing down the changes saves time!
LOL, yes!

I didn't document my first few recipies or dates or anything. One came out pretty good. I have no idea what I put in it or even exactly when I made it!

Yes - I'm finding that some recipies steep super fast. Others, not so much. There doesn't seem to be a pattern yet. I think much has to do with each vendor and how they formulate a given flavor.

Where are people getting milk frothers? And can I use one if I mix directly into Boston Rounds?

Have people tried those little 3/16 SS ball bearing like they use for mixing nail polish?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Where are people getting milk frothers? And can I use one if I mix directly into Boston Rounds?

This is the one I like best. It's designed for mixing Testor style paints used in model airplanes and cars. The 3/8" spinner part fits into small openings. It fits into my 60ml and 120ml Boston Rounds just fine and can mix with or without creating tiny bubbles. If you keep it submerged there's no froth. To get bubbles you have to raise it up in the mix to create a vortex and let it contact the surface of the liquid. Then, you can vary the height of the blade up and down and turn the entire mix in a milk shake.

Even with a bubbly juice after creating a froth, it's back to completely clear in about an hour or more of settling with a 60pg/40vg or 50/50 mix. I'm finding that my DIY tobacco flavors are easily ready to vape in a week and taste surprisingly good after a few days. It certainly speeds steep time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BROV02/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

21Ws4-oWJiL.jpg

Last edited:

-KT-

Oct 12, 2017
This is the one I like best. It's designed for mixing Testor style paints used in model airplanes and cars. The 3/8" spinner part fits into small openings. It fits into my 60ml and 120ml Boston Rounds just fine and can mix with or without creating tiny bubbles. If you keep it submerged there's no froth. To get bubbles you have to raise it up in the mix to create a vortex and let it contact the surface of the liquid. Then, you can vary the height of the blade up and down and turn the entire mix in a milk shake.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BROV02/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

21Ws4-oWJiL.jpg
Thank you!

(Amazon Is my good friend, LOL).

Reactions: DaveP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread