[09/17/2014] ASH: New survey finds regular use of electronic cigarettes by children still rare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
I think you're making the mistake of assuming good faith on the part of the ANTZ leadership. What they actually want is the appearance of trying to eliminate smoking. If they succeeded in eliminating it, their organizations would be out of business and they'd have to find something resembling gainful employment.

precisely. :thumb:

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
How come the Brits understand their survey results correctly, while the schmucks from CDC see only "gateway" everywhere?

Because during the past year, objective British researchers, the folks at ASH UK and Public Health England (which recently hired several e-cig supporters) have been doing far more objective research (unlike FDA and CDC), have truthfully communicated their findings to the public (unlike FDA and CDC), have began talking to and collaborating with vaping activists and vapers (unlike FDA and CDC), and have been listening to Clive Bates (former director of ASH UK), Dave Sweanor (from Canada), Gerry Stimpson (the former head of the International Harm Reduction Association who has become very active in promoting e-cigs for THR), me and other THR advocates (unlike FDA and CDC).

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
More specifically, the ASH UK / PHE survey of 11-18 year olds found:
- More than 80% are now aware of e-cigs (up from 70% in 2013),
- 90.1% never used an e-cig,
- 98% of never smokers never tried using an e-cig,
- More than 90% of never smokers and never e-cig users have no intention to use either in the future,
- Ever use of an e-cig increased from 7% in 2013 to 10% in 2014,
- 1.8% reported regular use of e-cigs, and
- 90% of those reporting regular or occasional e-cig use were smokers or exsmokers.
http://www.ash.org.uk/:new-survey-finds-regular-use-of-electronic-cigarettes-by-children-still-rare

The folks at PHE sent me the PDF of their slide presentation of the survey findings (which contained many more details than the press release issued by ASH UK).

The only bad news the survey found was that percentage of teen smokers who inaccurately believed e-cigs are as hazardous or more hazardous than cigarettes doubled from about 12% in 2013 to about 25% in 2014. This documents how the ANTZ campaign of repeating fear mongering lies has deceived many people to believe e-cigs are just as hazardous as cigarettes, and that this problem will continue to grow.

The good news is that the survey found almost none of the teens believed e-cigs can be harmful to nonusers.

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
The only bad news the survey found was that percentage of teen smokers who inaccurately believed e-cigs are as hazardous or more hazardous than cigarettes doubled from about 12% in 2013 to about 25% in 2014. This documents how the ANTZ campaign of repeating fear mongering lies has deceived many people to believe e-cigs are just as hazardous as cigarettes, and that this problem will continue to grow.

This also illustrates the fact that misleading, fear-mongering headlines are more effective drivers of public opinion than the actual contents of the research.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
They are spending the time and money to research e-cigarettes.

We get $270 million in regulatory research.

https://prevention.nih.gov/tobacco-regulatory-science-program

:facepalm::vapor:

Quoted from above link: "Located in the NIH Office of Disease Prevention (ODP), the Tobacco Regulatory Science Program (TRSP) coordinates the trans-NIH collaborative effort with the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) Center for Tobacco Products (CTP) to conduct research to support its regulatory activities over tobacco products."

I love how the NIH didn't even bother trying to hide the real point of their "research" in this statement. They don't care about the truth, they are only conducting (i.e. rigging) studies to support FDA regulations, and they don't even mince words about it. They tell you flat out.

sqirl1

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I think you're making the mistake of assuming good faith on the part of the ANTZ leadership. What they actually want is the appearance of trying to eliminate smoking. If they succeeded in eliminating it, their organizations would be out of business and they'd have to find something resembling gainful employment.
Their intentions aren't in good faith but I still believe they intend to entirely eliminate tobacco and nicotine use of all types from our society in the long run, but I also think they see anybody who dies as a result of options such as e-cigs being taken away as collateral damage. It's more important to them that they purge society of all those dirty smokers because it bothers THEM. As for gainful employment, once their mission is accomplished (lol good luck), they'll just move onto soda and fast food, and once they have that restricted to what they want they'll move onto something else they find dirty and bothersome. All while corporate America keeps funding these useful idiots to do their dirty work.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Their intentions aren't in good faith but I still believe they intend to entirely eliminate tobacco and nicotine use of all types from our society in the long run, but I also think they see anybody who dies as a result of options such as e-cigs being taken away as collateral damage. It's more important to them that they purge society of all those dirty smokers because it bothers THEM. As for gainful employment, once their mission is accomplished (lol good luck), they'll just move onto soda and fast food, and once they have that restricted to what they want they'll move onto something else they find dirty and bothersome. All while corporate America keeps funding these useful idiots to do their dirty work.

And all of this is wrapped up in the mentality that we should all try as hard as we can to live forever, no matter how miserable we are in the meantime...

I look forward to the day when I no longer have to explain to people why I have no interest in living until I'm 197 years old. It seems difficult for a lot of people to understand these days that living as long as possible might mean compromising almost everything that is enjoyable in life.

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
I look forward to the day when I no longer have to explain to people why I have no interest in living until I'm 197 years old. It seems difficult for a lot of people to understand these days that living as long as possible might mean compromising almost everything that is enjoyable in life.

I don't understand why maximum longevity is supposed to be such a great thing either. I have yet to witness anything in this life that inclines me to want to exist past age 85, at the most.

sqirl1

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2011
St. Louis, MO
And all of this is wrapped up in the mentality that we should all try as hard as we can to live forever, no matter how miserable we are in the meantime...

That's part of it, but a lot of it is just self-righteous elitism. They think the same way as a religious fanatic does, it's about purity to them, when they say "think of the children", they're really saying "you're not going to ruin my generation of pure youth innocent of tobacco products". Look at some hardcore quit smoking websites, they preach being nicotine free in ways that sound like Pat Robertson. Make no mistake, while the corporations are funding them in the interest of their products, the ANTZ themselves are delusional fanatics.

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
While the FSTPCA requires the FDA to focus on both reducing tobacco attributable diseases and reducing tobacco use (with the latter moralist goal insisted upon by the Big Pharma funded ANTZ during negotiations in drafting the legislation with Philip Morris back in 2003/04), Obama appointees and their staff at FDA, CDC, US SG, other DHHS agencies, NIH, and even military branches of government have focused their tobacco regulations, policies, programs, propaganda and research on reducing tobacco use instead of reducing diseases.

That's why they've been focusing on demonizing and trying to ban e-cigs, cigars, hookah, flavored OTP, and why they've been focusing on and propagandizing "ever use" or "past month use" by youth (of e-cigs, cigars, hookah and flavored OTP) to be deadly addictions (while totally ignoring or downplaying daily cigarette smoking among adults and youth, which is the type of tobacco use that actually causes diseases).

By demonizing all tobacco use (and all e-cig use) and by lobbying for tobacco free (and e-cig free) policies and tobacco free (and e-cig free) lifestyles, the Obama administration has been trying to deceive the public to believe that any and all tobacco use (and vaping) is just as harmful as smoking two packs of cigarettes daily.

That's not public health, but rather moralism and intolerance disguised as public health.

Last edited:

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
By demonizing all tobacco use (and all e-cig use) and by lobbying for tobacco free (and e-cig free) policies and tobacco free (and e-cig free) lifestyles, the Obama administration has been trying to deceive the public to believe that any and all tobacco use (and vaping) is just as harmful as smoking two packs of cigarettes daily.

Which is the same thing the Bush and Clinton administrations did.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Which is the same thing the Bush and Clinton administrations did.

wiki
Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act 2009

"Prior to 1996, the FDA played no role in the regulation of tobacco products, and regulations were controlled through a combination of state and congressional regulation.

"In 1996, the FDA issued the "FDA Rule," which asserted its authority over tobacco products and issued a rule intending to prevent and reduce tobacco use by children.

"After the regulations were issued in 1996, tobacco companies sued. In the 2000 Supreme Court case FDA v. Brown & Williamson Tobacco Corp., the court ruled that Congress had not given the FDA authority over tobacco and tobacco marketing.

"As a result, Congress was forced to provide explicit FDA authority to regulate tobacco and this was finally accomplished via the passage of the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act in 2009.

"Much of the legislation is targeted specifically at cigarettes and/or smokeless tobacco products." [ie. 'all' tobacco products, not just cigarettes]

"President Barack Obama, who has himself struggled with smoking addiction, praised the law, saying that it will save American lives. The Obama administration had previously voiced support for such an act, while former President George W. Bush had threatened to veto the law after it had passed the United States House of Representatives in 2008."

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
To clarify, I was referring specifically to the official government orthodoxy that any amount of any tobacco product is equally as harmful as daily cigarette smoking, which actually dates to February 1986 (US Code, Title 15, Chapter 70, § 4402). So I should have included the Reagan and Bush 41 administrations in my previous comment.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
How come the Brits understand their survey results correctly, while the schmucks from CDC see only "gateway" everywhere?

ASH UK: «our survey results should reassure the public that electronic cigarettes are not currently widely used by young people, nor are they interested in taking electronic cigarettes up. The small increases in use that have occurred over the last year are almost entirely among children who smoke or have smoked.»

WAH!? You mean smoking might be a gateway to... e-cigarettes!? :shock: Why I never... quit smoking until I tripped across them.

The ANTZ agenda is so frenetic it's hard to even say they only have their priorities bass ackward.

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
WAH!? You mean smoking might be a gateway to... e-cigarettes!? :shock: Why I never... quit smoking until I tripped across them.

The ANTZ agenda is so frenetic it's hard to even say they only have their priorities bass ackward.

If there's one thing the ANTZ hate (and I mean HATE), it's the idea that the epidemic of smoking-related sickness and death might be solved by something totally outside the auspices of their 30+ year fear/uncertainty/doubt/bigotry campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread