0mg Vaping and Pregnancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fisherman

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2009
UK
I get the feeling that this baby is going to a fine family and home. What a start!

Same happened to me.

Even if I could attribute my parents smoking (1950's when I was born) to my current addiction, my moral behaviour is, by far, the best present they gave me.

So, to all moms and dads, I don't mind that you smoked, just glad you cared for me:)

SarahTheRed

ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2009
Deep South
There are certainly enough contributors who were or had healthy babies, despite the mother's smoking. My grandmother, on the other hand, smoked throughout all five of her pregnancies, and had 5 premature babies.

I'd be hesitant to vape during a pregnancy. No research is not the same as no risks, and there have been plenty of FDA-approved drugs that were later found to cause fetal problems.

However, this is your family, and your decision. As others have said, you seem to be a caring and considerate father.

Congrats on your newest family member.

WonderfulMe

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Northern California
When I was pregnant I didn't quit smoking. I tried. At one point, I don't think I was more than three months along, my doctor told me the stress on myself and my baby from quitting would be worse for her, or at least just as bad as if I kept smoking. The point is, talk to her doctor. I am pretty sure 0mg juice is better than smoking, and if that doesn't do it for her, I would think even a low nic juice would be better than continuing to smoke. Keep supporting your wife and don't feel bad or let your wife beat herself up too much about this. It's really hard and she's not alone.
BTW my daughter is now almost 5, was born healthy though small (not premie or low birth weight) at 6lbs 1oz. I wasn't expecting a big baby as I'm 5' and my late husband was 5'6".
Good luck, and congratulations

Tori

ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2009
South Texas USA
I smoked during my pregnancies without incident, however, my dr did suggest nicotine replacement therapy during my last one so I'm thinking it isnt the nicotine that is harmful during pregnancy. I'm sure to not ingest anything unnatural would be ideal but vaping has got to be so much better than smoking analogs in any scenario.

CentroniX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2009
Austin, TX
I came across this study from Health New Zealand (private research/consulting firm) concerning the Ruyan cartridge: healthnz.co.nz/RuyanCartridgeReport30-Oct-08.pdf

Maybe this will inform you a little better.

Thanks for that! I'll read it more in depth when I get home, but from what I skimmed, it's a lot of good news for vapers in general!

JerriB

ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2009
Amarillo, TX
Ok I will admit, Im 25, and I smoked normally thru all 3 of my pregancys. My 1st, my daughter was induced at 37 weeks b/c I "didnt have enough fluid" or something, she was 5'5oz, My boys were born on time, both almost 7 lbs. All were born healty, now at ages 5, 3, and 2, I always get complements on how smart and well behaved they are. My mom smoked with me and I was fine. Im not saying, go for it, Im not saying its healthy, Hell, it could do diff things to different ppl, But if I could do it all agian, I would vape pg, normal strenght nic.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Actually, the government has spoken about the toxicity of PG ("Clear evidence of no adverse effects") and the reproductive safety. See this document, accessed from NTP-CERHR: Chemicals - Propylene Glycol

http://cerhr.niehs.nih.gov/chemicals/egpg/propylene/PG_Monograph.pdf

The NTP concurs with the CERHR EG/PG Expert Panel that there is negligible concern
for adverse developmental or reproductive toxicity from PG exposures in humans. Studies evaluated by the expert panel indicate that high oral doses of PG produced no adverse
developmental or reproductive effects in multiple laboratory animal species.

Before this report was issued, the opinion of the experts was put out for public comment.

CentroniX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2009
Austin, TX
The NTP concurs with the CERHR EG/PG Expert Panel that there is negligible concern for adverse developmental or reproductive toxicity from PG exposures in humans. Studies evaluated by the expert panel indicate that high oral doses of PG produced no adverse
developmental or reproductive effects in multiple laboratory animal species.

Wow, thank you for the Vocalek!! I'll have more time this evening to read the full report, but it looks like that one paragraph you quoted sums it up nicely!!

annah

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2009
Virginia Beach
Just my opinion- but, an OB would prefer that a woman who can't stop smoking be on nicotine replacement therapy instead of smoking (i was told while i was preggo). I personally, would take the risks of vaping over smoking.

It probably would be very hard to go straight to 0mg. Personally, I would wean off the mg. I would start at whatever she's at now- you said 10-15 a day? So assuming the cigs were .8mg each- that would be only 8-12 mg that she is smoking now. So I'd try to start with some 4-6 mg liquid, and see if that is ok. If it is, then I'd work on dropping it down til you get to 0.

And for goodness sakes, STOP smoking around her! (BTDT!) (since you're vaping, the point still stands, please don't do it, it's seriously mean to do to a woman who is forced into quitting)

Edited to add: I have 3 kids, and smoked during all the pregnancies. I tried to quit, and just couldn't do it. My kids were 7# 8oz, 9 # 8oz, and 8 # 6oz- all at term, or late, with normal placentas. But- I am just a fluke I think. My SIL had babies that were less than 5 pounds. Totally not worth the risk. I hated myself for smoking, and felt like a crack addict or something for being unable to quit, and was mad at my husband for smoking around me, and sabotaging my attempts to quit.

Last edited:

CentroniX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2009
Austin, TX
I would start at whatever she's at now- you said 10-15 a day?
And for goodness sakes, STOP smoking around her! (BTDT!)

No no! She WAS at 10-15 a day before we became pregnant! She's between zero and THREE a day now!! That's why I originally proposed 0mg. With that little nic intake, I think it's more of something to do when she's bored or stressed out; The act of smoking itself.

I haven't had a cigarette since this past Saturday afternoon, and try not to vape around her, although she will come in my office or out in the garage to see what I'm up to sometimes...

Twisted

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2009
Hagerstown, MD
Congrats! We are on our 3rd here... counting the days now! my wife quit cold turkey for the first the 2nd took more time and this one was tough. Yes I feel it was my fault she could not stop completely (1-2 a day) but once I started vaping exclusively she was able to put it behind her. Yes she tried a few puffs of the PV at first but after a week or so she doesn't even care now.

It's very brave to ask such questions, it's a good one! Just don't start asking people for baby names (that is a can of worms)

Good luck! all will be fine I'm sure.

Last edited:

annah

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2009
Virginia Beach
oh! Good! That makes a huge difference!! (just slap me- kids have f* my ability to read, I swear)

Yeah, I would think 0mg would be fine then. It's probably just for relaxing in that case then- since she's always used cigs to relax.

And congrats to you both- centronix and twisted! Counting the days is my least favorite part of pregnancy (since I'm always at my date, or late- it takes foreverrrrrrr for the day to come!)

Afubar

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2009
Oregon
Congrats, I smoked while pregnant with my daughter, with my doctor's blessing. He told me that normally he would advise me to quit smoking and drinking (not that I ever did much drinking) but since my blood pressure was so low normally, that he felt anything I did to raise it was a plus (BP was 82/52 at the time). Course this was 30 years ago and daughter was fine.

I think anyone that thinks you can quit at the drop of the hat has smoked too much of the funny stuff, sure we all "know" what is best, but most of us know what is realistic. 0 nicotine vaping in my opinion is much better than not doing anything at all.

Best of luck.

Kaye

heather

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Tulsa, OK
My doctor told me that 5 a day was OK, and of course he would like me to have none at all. He said that the stress of not having some could be worse for the baby. So, that's what I did with all three of my healthy children. If I had known about vaping then, I would have probably done that instead. I have read and researched PG. And I feel totally comfortable inhaling it, but still, talk to your doctor about this. Congrats!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread