1/8" ceramic wick ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMarie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Minneapolis
Not sure, but I'm curious to see if the new ZAP has an insulated wick hole like the old one or if they left it out because of the ceramic wick.

My stainless wick currently is fairly snug in the wick hole and when I pull out my wick, the plastic insulator piece comes out with it. I'd like to have the option of using SS or ceramic, and SS set-up might be more of a PITA without the insulator. I guess we'll know soon.

MMarie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Minneapolis
Just got mine in and the installed wick looks to be 1/8" but the spare ceramic wick looks slightly smaller (and has channel grooves). I ordered some spare wicks at discount vapers (both the 7/64 and 1/8) just in case I need them.

The wick hole insulator is indeed gone from this version of the ZAP, so you'll need a larger mesh piece if you're using SS wick, in case anyone is curious.

mmikee

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2012
st louis
Do let us know if the 1/8" fits without modification. The ruler I have here at work isn't exactly the most precise thing in the world. Since the wicks supplied with it appear to be two different sizes, it would be good to know for sure what will fit and what won't. Where did you purchase yours?

Discount Vapers. But I have seen them on Ebay as well. I will post back what I find out.

Uno mas

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Got my Z-Pro in today :thumb: measured the supplied wick with calipers and read .115 X 1.39 long. I did not measure the wick hole as there's no way I plan on removing the premade unless necessary, probably will just order the 1/8th from DV unless someone posts differently. BTW my first Z and I'm freakin' stoked! :D

Last edited:

MMarie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Minneapolis
First impressions: I like my SS ZAP better. But, since I've been reading on the FC-2000 thread over in the rebuildable section that these wicks need several tanks to break in, I'll reserve judgement until then. Right now, after the first tank, I'm getting better flavor and vapor production off the stainless wick, though.

Not so happy with the supplied coil. I think it may be 32g wire. When I get to the fourth tank or so, I think I'll try a rebuild with 30g. I had a heck of a time eliminating a top hot leg this morning.

Also, on that ceramic wick thread, I read that the old ZAP with the insulator removed took a little sanding on the 1/8" wick to fit. They were using 400 grit sandpaper to accomplish this. Since I'm sitting here with seven different genesis atomizers, I'm sure I can use them for something else if the 1/8" I bought don't fit in the ZAP. It sounds, however, like the 7/64 will work just fine.

I've also read that even if these snap, you only need a small stub of a wick in the tank to wick, so if you break them keep them; they may still be usable as long as it's long enough to reach into the tank.

mmikee

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2012
st louis
So I just recoiled my zap with 28 gauge wire. It reads 1.4 ohms. It is performing even better now. Excellent flavor and vapor. I definitely prefer the ceramic over ss. I am vaping it side by side with an rsst with a ss wick. Both are working great, but I like the ceramic a bit more. I would not say the difference is huge, but noticeable by me.

Hello World

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2012
Vancouver
1/8 ceramic wick barely fits in most cases, as they are often not consistent in diameter.

Where the ceramic goes through the wickhole -- that 6-8mm section -- take some 400 grid sandpaper to the 1/8 wick and get it down to approx 7/64 as it allows for more juice to flow up along the outside of the wick where the fastest wicking speeds take place. Takes only about 5 minutes or so. You'll notice more juice getting to the coils faster potentially reducing dry hits. This also holds true for the newer slotted wicks.

A properly set up ceramic wick will deliver more juice to the coils than a standard rolled SS one, be it solid, or semi-solid.

Last edited:

mmikee

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2012
st louis
1/8 ceramic wick barely fits in most cases, as they are often not consistent in diameter.

Where the ceramic goes through the wickhole -- that 6-8mm section -- take some 400 grid sandpaper to the 1/8 wick and get it down to approx 7/64 as it allows for more juice to flow up along the outside of the wick where the fastest wicking speeds take place. Takes only about 5 minutes or so. You'll notice more juice getting to the coils faster potentially reducing dry hits. This also holds true for the newer slotted wicks.

A properly set up ceramic wick will deliver more juice to the coils than a standard rolled SS one, be it solid, or semi-solid.

Thanks for the tips ! I am running my Zap at 4.5 volts. I am not really understanding why I am not getting burnt taste. Ohms law would suggest a lot less voltage, but it is tasting amazing . For this particular coil it is the sweet spot for me.

Hello World

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2012
Vancouver
Thanks for the tips ! I am running my Zap at 4.5 volts. I am not really understanding why I am not getting burnt taste. Ohms law would suggest a lot less voltage, but it is tasting amazing . For this particular coil it is the sweet spot for me.
Hey Mike ...

No burnt taste = always enough juice at the coils, which tells me you must have a pretty good coil/wick setup. The juice also acts as a coolant against burning it, so in all cases always having enough juice up there is the key.

Cheers :toast:

MMarie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Minneapolis
Hello World, thanks for the post. When I get a chance, I'll recoil this thing using the other (smaller) supplied wick and 30 ga. The stock wick is so tight I can barely move it out of the wick hole, so I suspect that's why I'm getting dryish hits every third one or so. The vapor and flavor have improved over the first tank, though, so I can see the ceramic definitely has potential.

MMarie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Minneapolis
Well, mea-freakin'-culpa.

The ceramics came in from Discount Vapers today, so when I got home, I figured I'd tackle this project. Getting the top nut off the ZAP was an ordeal (seriously? Did Thor himself screw this thing on?) and I ended up breaking the stock wick trying to get the nut loosened. The 1/8" wicks from DV fit nicely and I proceeded to wrap some 30 ga on the new one as tightly as possible. Not the prettiest coil I've wrapped, but the coils glowed nice and even from the inside out... bumped up the voltage a few times, still good. Filled it with juice and vaped.

So. Much. Better. Definitely must have been that the wick was too tight and choking off the juice flow. Now I get why ceramic is so popular... and it's only been a 1/4 of a tank so far.

MMarie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Minneapolis
ceramic.jpg

Not the neatest, and I may try to tighten up that bottom wrap a little, but it's wicking much better and the flavor is very bright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread