1/8" ceramic wick ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello World

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2012
Vancouver
Well, mea-freakin'-culpa.

The ceramics came in from Discount Vapers today, so when I got home, I figured I'd tackle this project. Getting the top nut off the ZAP was an ordeal (seriously? Did Thor himself screw this thing on?) and I ended up breaking the stock wick trying to get the nut loosened. The 1/8" wicks from DV fit nicely and I proceeded to wrap some 30 ga on the new one as tightly as possible. Not the prettiest coil I've wrapped, but the coils glowed nice and even from the inside out... bumped up the voltage a few times, still good. Filled it with juice and vaped.

So. Much. Better. Definitely must have been that the wick was too tight and choking off the juice flow. Now I get why ceramic is so popular... and it's only been a 1/4 of a tank so far.
Good to see it's also working out for you. Per the video I posted earlier on this thread, make sure the coils are as tight as possible to the wick otherwise you may end up vaping partially burned juice. It can make or break the vape. This is more crucial with ceramic than SS mesh.

Maconi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2010
Lexington KY
So what's the conclusion. Did anyone actually measure the wick hole on the Z-Atty Pro? I'd like to know what it is in millimeters (3.175mm is 1/8, meaning it would need to be at least 3.3mm to have the desired air flow all around the wick).

I currently have a Cobra but the wick holes are 2.5mm without much room for expansion (I could probably drill it out to 3mm, but that would be pushing it, no chance of getting a proper 1/8 wick in it). Might end up trading out for a Z-Atty Pro if it can handle ceramics properly. If not I may possibly just sell it off for something like an RSST, not sure yet.

Last edited:

Maconi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2010
Lexington KY
It's 1/8 exactly. 3.175mm. Your 1/8 ceramic wick will fit, if not a quick 400 grid sandpaper job will do the trick.

Some have said earlier ZAPs had smaller wickholes.

Thanks for the info. I was just getting ready to say "but I saw someone earlier say they were 7/64" and then I looked @ the poster... lol

ZAP = 7/64 ... although you could do with 1/8 and some 400 grid sandpaper. The RSST is good on 1/8, although some people have said it's a bit tight. Also, the wicks are not always uniform in size either, so keep some sandpaper nearby.

If the Z-Atty is right @ 1/8 I wouldn't have a problem with sanding/drilling it out a bit to give the 1/8 some wiggle room (assuming that's possible on the ZAP without breaking it, don't see why not as the deck seems to have room).

At least that gives me options, although the RSST may be the more sensible choice (works just as well, cheaper, etc.). Decisions decisions... lol.

Hello World

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2012
Vancouver
If the Z-Atty is right @ 1/8 I wouldn't have a problem with sanding/drilling it out a bit to give the 1/8 some wiggle room (assuming that's possible on the ZAP without breaking it, don't see why not as the deck seems to have room)
The 7mm or so depth of the ZAP's wickhole ... that zone can be sanded down to 7/64 on an 1/8 ceramic wick to allow air exchange and juice to travel up the outside walls of the wick. Personally I think this is even better than using a 7/64 wick from the start ... but those are only my 2 cents. Those doing 28ga electrically annealed wraps, 1/8 is your guy. In wrapping things by hand, larger wick diameters make for tighter coil/wick contact.

I doubt the ZAP could be bored to 9/64. There isn't whole lot of room there, ~ZEN pretty much utilized it all. I suspect a max of 3.4mm safely exists, but not sure what kind of drill bit there is for that. Too close to the threading/wall of the pos. post beneath the deck, and only a hair away from the cap's O-ring groove.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread