.12 ohms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

k702

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
lost wages, sin city, NV
the vtc5 has a 30 amp continuous rating, the Efests 35. You would be pushing 35 amps at .12 ohms. That means if you want to be safe the vtc5 is entirely out, and if you actually want to be safe having no head room on the Efest would rule it out.

Raise the resistance of your coil if you even have to ask this question.

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
Quick answer No. Now for my speech i promised someone i'd give in these kinds of questions. You need to learn ohms laws, have an ohm meter and practice battery safety. Here is a site to help you with two of the above. Ohm's law | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators
Hope this helps. Take my advice unless you want to end up on the news.

Last edited:

bgohard1

Jun 22, 2014
DC
Nope.

Because batteries with that rating are not made right now. I'd also question the accuracy of your resistance measurements too, since a +- of a few Ohms or percent may skew your calculations at very low levels like that without you knowing.

T

Just made a new one at .18 ohms. By ohms law a full battery at 4.2v is hitting 23.33amps which is fine for a 30a right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
also, Efest isn't always clear about their discharge ratings. Sometimes they publish continuous discharge, sometimes pulse. Their batteries have tested out at less than they claim. If I was gonna kiss the limit of a battery (pretty much literally), it wouldn't be an Efest. That's really just my personal take on things.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
These types of posts always cause me to cringe. If you have to ask that question you have no business using sub-ohms. Period.

subohm2face.jpg

Now after that little rant, let me calm down and give you some education. First, we're all glad that you came here to ask the question. You probably prevented a tragic accident of a battery venting hot gas in your mod, hot enough to cause blistering second degree burns.

Know the specs of your batteries, in particular their continuous discharge rating in amps. Battery Basics for Mods

Then learn enough of Ohm's Law to keep you from blowing up your batteries. Ohms Law for Dummies Learn how to calculate how many amps a coil will draw, and compare that to the actual continuous discharge rating of the battery.

• The Sony VTC battery has a 30 amp continuous discharge rating. It can theoretically be used to fire a 0.2 ohms coil, but that is putting a lot of faith into your $20 ohm reader being precisely accurate.

• The purple Efest claims to have a 35 amp rating, but that battery is actually a re-wrapped LG18650HE2 battery. LG states their battery only has a 20 amp continuous discharge rating. So who you gonna believe? The manufacturer of the original cell (LG), or the company who is only re-wrapping the battery and has a history of over-rating the specs of their batteries (Efest)? Efest 35 amp battery really only a 20 amp battery

1.0 ohm = 4.2 amp draw
0.9 ohm = 4.6 amp draw
0.8 ohm = 5.2 amp draw
0.7 ohms = 6 amp draw
0.6 ohms = 7 amp draw
0.5 ohms = 8.4 amp draw
0.4 ohms = 10.5 amp draw
0.3 ohms = 14.0 amp draw
0.2 ohms = 21.0 amp draw
0.1 ohms = 42.0 amp draw
0.0 ohms = dead short = thermal runaway battery

If the purple Efest really has only a 20 amp continuous rating, any coil below 0.3 ohms would stress that battery, possibly into thermal runaway.

You'll likely get a couple of posters here say that they use coils less than 0.2 ohms on a regular basis and they haven't blown up any batteries yet. They'll say their battery is safe at that resistance because the pulse rating is higher than the continuous. Let's just say that what they do is their own business, but they are pushing their batteries harder than what they were designed to be pushed.

Last edited:

bgohard1

Jun 22, 2014
DC
These types of posts always cause me to cringe. If you have to ask that question you have no business using sub-ohms. Period.

View attachment 359443

Now after that little rant, let me calm down and give you some education. First, we're all glad that you came here to ask the question. You probably prevented a tragic accident of a battery venting hot gas in your mod, hot enough to cause blistering second degree burns.

Know the specs of your batteries, in particular their continuous discharge rating in amps. Battery Basics for Mods

Then learn enough of Ohm's Law to keep you from blowing up your batteries. Ohms Law for Dummies Learn how to calculate how many amps a coil will draw, and compare that to the actual continuous discharge rating of the battery.

• The Sony VTC battery has a 30 amp continuous discharge rating. It can theoretically be used to fire a 0.2 ohms coil, but that is putting a lot of faith into your $20 ohm reader being precisely accurate.

• The purple Efest claims to have a 35 amp rating, but that battery is actually a re-wrapped LG18650HE2 battery. LG states their battery only has a 20 amp continuous discharge rating. So who you gonna believe? The manufacturer of the original cell (LG), or the company who is only re-wrapping the battery and has a history of over-rating the specs of their batteries (Efest)? Efest 35 amp battery really only a 20 amp battery

1.0 ohm = 4.2 amp draw
0.9 ohm = 4.6 amp draw
0.8 ohm = 5.2 amp draw
0.7 ohms = 6 amp draw
0.6 ohms = 7 amp draw
0.5 ohms = 8.4 amp draw
0.4 ohms = 10.5 amp draw
0.3 ohms = 14.0 amp draw
0.2 ohms = 21.0 amp draw
0.1 ohms = 42.0 amp draw
0.0 ohms = dead short = thermal runaway battery

If the purple Efest really has only a 20 amp continuous rating, any coil below 0.3 ohms would stress that battery, possibly into thermal runaway.

You'll likely get a couple of posters here say that they use coils less than 0.2 ohms on a regular basis and they haven't blown up any batteries yet. They'll say their battery is safe at that resistance because the pulse rating is higher than the continuous. Let's just say that what they do is their own business, but they are pushing their batteries harder than what they were designed to be pushed.

Ohms law and battery safety make sense to me. But isn't it that a battery vents, the tube explodes? If your tube has venting then you'll know something's up before kaboom? Also, I was asking because I was reading online in a few places that vtc5s vtc4s can get stretched past 30a in a pulse discharge. Regardless, it's a moot point cuz I threw those coils in a box and built a .18 which theoretically using a fully charged battery at 4.2v will use 23.3a which is in that 30a window. Am I right to say I'm good at .18 ohms?

Btw the efest seems sketchy at that low ohms so I'm not even using it for those purposes any more.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Ohms law and battery safety make sense to me. But isn't it that a battery vents, the tube explodes? If your tube has venting then you'll know something's up before kaboom? Also, I was asking because I was reading online in a few places that vtc5s vtc4s can get stretched past 30a in a pulse discharge. Regardless, it's a moot point cuz I threw those coils in a box and built a .18 which theoretically using a fully charged battery at 4.2v will use 23.3a which is in that 30a window. Am I right to say I'm good at .18 ohms?
How would you know if a mod has adequate venting unless you actually vented a battery in it? Don't just assume the manufacturer has made adequate vent holes, do you really believe the manufacturer has tested their mod for venting? I think not.

Also consider that when a battery vents in thermal runaway, it can swell in size and possibly block off the vent holes, effectively allowing the buildup of hot gas in the metal tube and turning the mod into a pipe bomb.

IMR_battery_post-venting.jpg An AW IMR safe chemistry battery after thermal runaway

Routinely pushing a battery at its limits will age a battery much faster than during normal use. These batteries were not designed for hard PV use, and as the battery ages under hard use its specs will not be the same as when new. The mAh rating (capacity) and amp output will drop with hard abuse.

It seems more common sense to not push one's luck in trusting an inexpensive ohm reader to be precisely accurate to read in tenths and hundreths of an ohm, that any individual battery will forever perform to its spec rating, to depend upon the mod's vent holes to function properly, or that you have real or fake Sony batteries. But that's just me, its YOUR HAND AND FACE, not mine.

Is it REALLY that important to you to run a 0.18 ohm coil?

mod-explosion-3.jpg mod-explosion-1.jpg hand injury received from an exploding battery and mod

Last edited:

bgohard1

Jun 22, 2014
DC
It seems more common sense to not push one's luck in trusting an inexpensive ohm reader to be precisely accurate to read in tens and hundreths of an ohm, that any individual battery will perform to its spec rating, and to depend upon the mod's vent holes to function properly. But that's just me, its YOUR HAND AND FACE, not mine.

Ok guys you've scared me enough to never go close to .12 ohms again. But can I get an answer to the question I asked; is my .18 build ok? Ohms law says it is, so does that make it true? 23.33a is well in the range of a 30a vtc5 right?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Ok guys you've scared me enough to never go close to .12 ohms again. But can I get an answer to the question I asked; is my .18 build ok? Ohms law says it is, so does that make it true? 23.33a is well in the range of a 30a vtc5 right?
Are you certain that your Sony batteries are authentic or fakes? Counterfeit Sony and AW batteries are being seen in higher and higher numbers lately. Unless you purchased your batteries from a authorized vendor who can verify the source directly from the manufacturer, you could have fakes. The fakes are re-wrapped reject ICR batteries which are not safe to use in a mod. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/batteries-chargers/581174-how-identify-counterfeit-sony-batteries.html

Here's a pic of a Sony (real or fake?) which vented in a mod.

It seems pointless to answer your question. I already gave you logical reasons not to use a resistance of less than 0.3 ohms.

Last edited:

asvaldr

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2014
indonesia

May i asked you a question? Why does it seems like you really want to build a really low sub ohm coil?

And the answer is still no for me. don't push your battery to it's limit. It is something that man-made, it's not perfect. Even without you pushing it to the limit something can still go wrong with some bad luck or something.
Just play safe, a higher resistance coil is just as enjoyable as lower resistance coil with the right build. Baditude pretty much explain everything you needs to know.

I don't mean to judge or anything but by seeing your questions i think you're not really sure about your build either, so either you play safe or do some research until you're really really sure about what you're doing and vape on brother[emoji6]

bgohard1

Jun 22, 2014
DC
May i asked you a question? Why does it seems like you really want to build a really low sub ohm coil?

And the answer is still no for me. don't push your battery to it's limit. It is something that man-made, it's not perfect. Even without you pushing it to the limit something can still go wrong with some bad luck or something.
Just play safe, a higher resistance coil is just as enjoyable as lower resistance coil with the right build. Baditude pretty much explain everything you needs to know.

I don't mean to judge or anything but by seeing your questions i think you're not really sure about your build either, so either you play safe or do some research until you're really really sure about what you're doing and vape on brother[emoji6]

It's all good. Honestly there's a free cloud competition tonight at my local B&M and I thought I'd compete. I deff don't want to cloud chase or what ever everyday, it's obnoxious IMO but that doesn't mean I don't want to enter for ....s n giggles to see what it's like. It's really for tonight and that's it

asvaldr

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2014
indonesia
It's all good. Honestly there's a free cloud competition tonight at my local B&M and I thought I'd compete. I deff don't want to cloud chase or what ever everyday, it's obnoxious IMO but that doesn't mean I don't want to enter for ....s n giggles to see what it's like. It's really for tonight and that's it

To see it that way then that strain you put on your battery is fine cause you only use it on the competition. It's only like one or two puffs right? But be sure that the reading on your ohm reader is absolutely accurate or you'll end with a .008 ohm instead of .18 ohm or something lol slightly misreading on really low sub ohm can be really dangerous. Don't think of using it as daily use and definitely don't chain vape on it[emoji6]

Edit: btw use only the vtc5

bgohard1

Jun 22, 2014
DC
To see it that way then that strain you put on your battery is fine cause you only use it on the competition. It's only like one or two puffs right? But be sure that the reading on your ohm reader is absolutely accurate or you'll end with a .008 ohm instead of .18 ohm or something lol slightly misreading on really low sub ohm can be really dangerous. Don't think of using it as daily use and definitely don't chain vape on it[emoji6]

Yeah man I just I know my batteries have been fine at my .5 builds for a few weeks but I just don't want to fire at .18 and bam I'm dead lol so now I have it just sitting there waiting to fire. But yeah I'll keep it to a few hits tonight during the comp and that's it

Thanks for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread