14500 IMR vs Protected ........

Status
Not open for further replies.

francis_a

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2011
The Granite State
I have the 14500 IMR now and was wondering {noob alert} under what circumstances would anyone use the Protected ones. Do the Protected ones hold the charge longer because the current is limited, sacrificing the higher current drain on the IMRs or I'm totally way off?

Just trying to figure out if it's worth trying at all.

atavanhalen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Wolverine Lake, Michigan
The protection circuit has nothing to do with holding the charge, the high drain batts put out a higher voltage through the charge of the batteries so it stays at 4.2volts a lot longer than a regular protected one, a protected one will drop down much quicker to 3.7 volts. There are compromises with both, the high drains stay at a higher voltage longer but the mah is lower than the protected ones while the protected ones will last a bit longer but not quite as high a voltage. I hope that makes sense. I personally like the imr high drain ones, they are a safer chemistry so they do not need protection and I prefer 4+ volts much more than 3.5-3.7.

francis_a

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2011
The Granite State
Sent innovapor support my inquiry and Mark replied timely this morning. He's looking into it.
I have a TrustFire TR-001 charger so I tossed the batteries in there {one a time though, it doesn't like to charge 2 at the same time} and my batteries charged to 4.17v and 4.18v.

I think I'm staying with the IMRs for now.

Thanks again.

atavanhalen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Wolverine Lake, Michigan
I personally like the IMRs better. I would much rather have full power right up until it dies and have shorter battery life than gradually drain to lower and lower voltage over time and have longer battery life. It vapes better to me that way. Thats my 2 cents at least.
I agree completely with that logic.

Sent innovapor support my inquiry and Mark replied timely this morning. He's looking into it.
I have a TrustFire TR-001 charger so I tossed the batteries in there {one a time though, it doesn't like to charge 2 at the same time} and my batteries charged to 4.17v and 4.18v.

I think I'm staying with the IMRs for now.

Thanks again.

Yeah, I was gonna say that the batts not charging all the way up is probably a charger problem and not the batts.( by no means am I an expert this is just my opinion and first thought) You have aw batts right?right? I am actually gonna look into a pila charger because that is suppose to be the best of the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread