18350 Mech Mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2012
PA
Just bought an Ovale V8 to play around w/ which takes 18350 batts, I'm looking for recommendations on a durable mech mod to also use w/ these batts. Want to spend $30 at most - stainless preferably, pinky button would be cool, don't care about ego threading - just want it to be durable, bulletproof if possible. Maybe something like a bolt that takes one 18350...

Also I'm wondering if there are any mech mods in general that fire at 4.2-4.6 volts (I understand they're constant voltage I'm just saying in that range as opposed to 3.7 or 7.4 stacked). I know the batts are 3.7 volts but is there a mod that cranks the voltage up that isn't VV or is that like a silly question...? Thx in advance for any points in the right direction.

darkhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2012
PA
Hi there, sounds like the Ovale V8 is a nice unit. I'm hoping to buy either a Vamo or Evic soon for a battery and soon venturing into a rebuild able atomizer and i love to build things :) cheers and good luck on your search

Thx. Picked it up for $32 shipped btw, includes charger, 2 batts and a spare body. The one in the kit is the old version but they're including a 2nd unit that's the new version w/ an ohm checker...think they have 1 kit left for anyone who's looking for one - arizonavaportrails.com. Haven't received mine yet but they shipped same day so hopefully it'll be here in a couple days (bought it yesterday). I'm also looking into RBA's btw.

darkhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2012
PA
you are expecting too much for 30 bucks in my opinion. quality ss is more than that just for the materials. be advised cheap ss can have lead in it.

Doesn't have to be ss. Idk it's just a tube w/ a button so I don't see why I should pay more than $30 for it...might be willing to go to $40 or $50 if it's really nice I guess.

Bosco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
San Antonio
It depends on what you mean by "mechanical". A purley mechanical mod will have a mechanical switch as well . .ie . a piece of metal that pushes up and touches the positive connector on the atty. No wires - not even for a button or master switch.

An unregulated mod will have wires for the button and a master switch - but the voltage is straight off the battery.

To output the voltage at 4.2 . .or something other than what comes off the battery, you need an additional piece of electronics and then it's definitely outside the realm of what could be considered mechanical.

I have not found a purely mechanical mod for $30 but I've seen plans on where you could make one mostly with parts from Lowes or Home Depot for much less than that. Check the modding forum or Youtube for copper pipe mods if you're interested. It doesn't seem hard but it does seem like getting the switch and all the connections right is a bit finicky - you could easily lose voltage off the battery with a poor connection somewhere.

Fury83

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Nowhere
Tec Mod Telescope

Thirty bucks, telescoping so you can use 18350 to 18650, bottom fire with a locking switch

UDT-L on the same site is not bottom or pinky switch but is 22 dollars, can do 18350 or 18650

UDT-L

I have the UDT-L and it is not stainless as far as I can tell but I have no issues with it, the finish has held up and it's kickable. I believe both of these are called something regal sounding on another site and more expensive there.

Last edited:

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
Picked it up for $32 shipped btw, includes charger, 2 batts and a spare body. The one in the kit is the old version but they're including a 2nd unit that's the new version w/ an ohm checker...think they have 1 kit left for anyone who's looking for one - arizonavaportrails.com. Haven't received mine yet but they shipped same day so hopefully it'll be here in a couple days (bought it yesterday).

The Ovale V8 is a great VV "box" mod...much like the VV Gripper but some would argue better built. I got the same deal as you did...liked it so much I got another one for my hubby (so now we have 4 V8s!) Arizona Vapor Trails seems to be a great vendor...I was impressed.

Been eying a "Squire" from smokerevolt - $15
But can't find much info on them.

The Squire is a dandy little semi-mechanical mod. Hubby and I each have one. They are basic and solid. Do best with button top...but you can use flat tops too...they just might rattle a bit in the tube (you can use an Xtar spacer to fix that). The vendor is cool, too.

The mechanicals will put out only what power the battery you put in it has. A 3.7 will start out off the charger at 4.2volts or thereabouts and gradually go down from there. You really won't notice it that much though...really you won't. Not until it gets to about 3.5volts. That's true of ANY unregulated battery. Just buy a lot of batteries and change them out as soon as your vape starts getting more feeble than you like. Be careful with the mechs...they will NOT warn you if the battery is getting too low. Just keep tuned and be aware so you don't over discharge them.

If you want stable wattage you'll have to get a Kick...and they only fit some devices (you have to have room for them plus the battery, and you have to have the right surface for the pin or whatever it is to connect right). They run around $40+/-

Good luck!

darkhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2012
PA
The Ovale V8 is a great VV "box" mod...much like the VV Gripper but some would argue better built. I got the same deal as you did...liked it so much I got another one for my hubby (so now we have 4 V8s!) Arizona Vapor Trails seems to be a great vendor...I was impressed.

What are the batts that come w/ this kit? I mean like button tops, etc.

darkhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2012
PA
It depends on what you mean by "mechanical". A purley mechanical mod will have a mechanical switch as well . .ie . a piece of metal that pushes up and touches the positive connector on the atty. No wires - not even for a button or master switch.

An unregulated mod will have wires for the button and a master switch - but the voltage is straight off the battery.

To output the voltage at 4.2 . .or something other than what comes off the battery, you need an additional piece of electronics and then it's definitely outside the realm of what could be considered mechanical.

I have not found a purely mechanical mod for $30 but I've seen plans on where you could make one mostly with parts from Lowes or Home Depot for much less than that. Check the modding forum or Youtube for copper pipe mods if you're interested. It doesn't seem hard but it does seem like getting the switch and all the connections right is a bit finicky - you could easily lose voltage off the battery with a poor connection somewhere.

Awesome, tx for the info.

darkhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2012
PA
For a pure mechanical mod, the xcalibur at smokerevolt is under 50 and SS. If you're just looking for a simple tube mod, they have the squire 18350 for 15.

I don't know about the quality of these mods, just found them while searching along the same lines.

I love your name lol - great song!

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
What are the batts that come w/ this kit? I mean like button tops, etc.

They are 18350 IMR 3.7 button tops. Come off the charger at 4.2volts. They measure about 35mm. Do NOT buy batteries longer than 35mm as they will be too hard to insert into the battery compartment. You must use button tops with the V8.

I regularly use 16340 IMR button top batteries in my V8 (35mm). They are 700mAh and last just fine. They are also a bit easier to get in and out of the unit.

USE THE RIBBON in the unit...wrap it around both batteries. It REALLY helps getting the batteries out! I couldn't believe how many people didn't know what that ribbon in the compartment was for! lol!!!

Last edited:

darkhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2012
PA
They are 18350 IMR 3.7 button tops. Come off the charger at 4.2volts. They measure about 35mm. Do NOT buy batteries longer than 35mm as they will be too hard to insert into the battery compartment. You must use button tops with the V8.

I regularly use 16340 IMR button top batteries in my V8 (35mm). They are 700mAh and last just fine. They are also a bit easier to get in and out of the unit.

USE THE RIBBON in the unit...wrap it around both batteries. It REALLY helps getting the batteries out! I couldn't believe how many people didn't know what that ribbon in the compartment was for! lol!!!

Cool, thx!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread