18490 batts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

braxy29

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
San Antonio, TX
greetings all. i haven't been active here in a long time. it's been awhile since i bought batteries and i have the money to throw at it right now, but it looks like aw batteries are not available. i've seen another thread where folks were able to advise someone on a different aw battery, but i'm looking for 18490's. i don't know whether to keep holding out until aw is up and running again or try something else. to make matters worse, i showed my setup to a guy at my local vape shop and he had never seen one before and commented that the battery size is unusual as well.

yeah, i've been vaping since about 2013 or so. seems like the vaping world has moved on to other things. i'm looking for batteries for the mini 2.1.

eta - wow, if i've been here since 2010, i've been vaping since at least 2011. and probably discovered reo's mods within a year to a year and half. i feel old. lol

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
Lots of things have changed since that first run REO, even the 14mm attys are dinosaurs. You may check the battery wholesalers like Liion Wholesale. My real recommendation would be to upgrade to the future to a 20700 device, you can get a Hugo Vapor Squeezer for about $35 and the batteries are about $10ea. This would be like having 3 18490s as far mah rating. The Squeezer, IMHO would even be an upgrade to anything REO is producing now.

braxy29

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
San Antonio, TX
yeah, i've wondered if i should just switch devices, but honestly the i really like the simplicity of what i've got and the fact that it fits my hand perfectly. i like that it's all-mechanical, not hideous, easy to clean and practically indestructible. but i'm open-minded: any other basic (and relatively inexpensive) squonkers you might recommend?

Reactions: stols001

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
My real recommendation would be to upgrade to the future to a 20700 device
20700/21700 cells are not exactly commonplace yet. 18650 remains the most ubiquitous form factor for li-ion cells and unlike 18490/18500, I doubt they will ever be hard to find.

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
Squonking is really taking off right now with cheaper mods on the market now. Coppervape has a nice aluminum, Pulse Vaper has new one lots are taking to, the Squeezer is a Boxer BF knock off. All are good and less than $35. The market is full cloned BF attys for under $10 see if you can find a Hadaly clone great for flavor. If you are building your coils many of us have switched to stainless steel wire. I took a break from the forum for a while, once you look around you'll be amazed. What we were doing in 2013 still works but so many new choices out there.

1/2 fast

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
SW Ohio
I have several devices that use 18490/18500 batteries, both button tops and flat tops. The majority of my batteries are AW which is what I prefer but I also have decent results with efest batteries in that size. They work fine for me as a confirmed tootle puffer (drawing only 3 to 4 amps) although battery life is a little less than the AW’s.

I wouldn’t use the efest batteries myself in a high amp draw application. You didn’t state your vaping style (low or higher resistance) but if not sub ohming the efests may keep you vaping until AW’s are available again.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
i use 1.5 ohm atomizers.
So you're only pulling ~3A (probably a bit less, but let's be conservative).
IMRbatteries has several choices in Efest or Imren that should handle 3A without breaking a sweat, even some button-tops. I'd look at both 18490 and 18500 sizes. In a REO with a spring, 1mm longer should be fine.

braxy29

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
San Antonio, TX
So you're only pulling ~3A (probably a bit less, but let's be conservative).
IMRbatteries has several choices in Efest or Imren that should handle 3A without breaking a sweat, even some button-tops. I'd look at both 18490 and 18500 sizes. In a REO with a spring, 1mm longer should be fine.

okay, thank you! :)

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread