18650/26650 - New Battery Product!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
    - Any tips on what to do if 18650/26650 are unavailable at some point in the future? Any adapters/systems that will work to power millions of devices? The device might slide in to battery bays of current devices.

- Does anyone know if any of the current batch of mech/regulated mods vape off of a wall wart or USB cable?

NEW BATTERY PRODUCT IDEA
    Can an any electrical engineer or technician give us a parts list for making a wall wart that will power 18650/26650 devices using off the shelf parts. Please provide a parts list, parts name, parts manufacturer, location parts can be purchased through, and a basic wiring diagram.

8ft long cable from a wall wart to a device would be great.

MarkyD

ECF Veteran
    Sep 26, 2013
    Blue Ridge
    I cant see the 18650/26650 form factors disappearing anytime soon (or not so soon for that matter), its like saying "what if AA alkaline cells arent made anymore". As long as devices are using the form factor, you can bet battery manufacturers will keep producing cells for them. Both 18650 and 26650 cells are used in a wide array of devices from flashlights to cordless power tools.

As far as a power supply, it would be easier and safer to just buy one rather than attempt to make it yourself. There are plenty of pre-built 5VDC adjustable switching power supplies on amazon, banggood, alibaba, etc. The problem is being tethered to the supply, and DC hookup wire that would carry 10-20A for a power hungry mod might be a little cumbersome (think of the wires coming off a battery sled inside a mod) they're not exactly small. To be safe they would like to be fused at both ends, like a car stereo amp. A DC short at that kind of current is neither pretty nor fun.

I'm reminded of the old 808/510 passthrough devices and cables, I knew I didnt like them the one and only time I tried to use one.

Edit: I'll add that something along the lines of a "wall wart" is only going to be capable of a few amps output at best, which might be entirely doable if one is only looking for a low wattage.

Last edited:

Rickajho

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 23, 2011
    Boston MA
    Yeah, that's a lot to ask from a wall wart - a power supply that can put out up to 30 amp "pulses" without component failure. It sure wouldn't be anything remotely close to a simple USB power adapter. So no - not a horribly practical thing. It can and has been done with industrial power supplies in the past, but as MarkyD already pointed out the cabling alone to handle todays parallel battery mod output requirements would be impractical to work with.

Reactions: MarkyD
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread