18650 Battery Wrap Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgreck

Jul 25, 2016
So the bottom of one of my Sony VTC4 battery wraps got nicked, about to rewrap. I currently use 3 sets of married batteries in rotation on my iPV3 Li. One of the married sets is double wrapped, and I'm curious. Does it matter whether you wrap 18650s with one wrap versus two wraps? To clarify, the battery I would be re-wrapping currently only has one wrap on it, and is in a different married set than the double wrapped set.

On the double wrapped set, out of sheer laziness, instead of peeling off the first wrap when it got nicked I just cleaned it up a bit and wrapped right over it with a second wrap. I then double wrapped the second battery in the set to match the first.

Besides not being able to fit in some mods, does having double-wrapped batteries versus single wrapped make a difference?

chazz80

Mar 28, 2016
New York
Depending on the mod i noticed when i tried double wrappin the batteries had a hard time fitting in. A mod where you just slide the batteries in vertically shouldn't have any problems, but i noticed on a mod like the IPV5 where you have to push the batteries into place horizontally that double wrapping caused an EXTREMELY tight fit and had to take one of the wraps off.

Reactions: jgreck

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I usually buy clear wraps and apply them over the original wrap if there's a nic in the original. I haven't had a problem with thickness, but I have noticed that at least one mod had a slightly snugger fit with a double wrap. It slid right in, but I could feel it contacting the side of the battery holder instead of just slipping in with no contact.

There could be differences in thickness in some brands. I get mine from Kidney Puncher.

Reactions: chazz80

jgreck

Jul 25, 2016
I tried some clear wrap, but then I realized that the wrap needs to be a different color from the casing otherwise you cannot see the holes when they form.

Second this. I got transparent gold wraps and black wraps. I'm more inclined to use the transparent gold just because it looks better; I'm going to have to get some additional colors for re-wrapping.

Depending on the mod i noticed when i tried double wrappin the batteries had a hard time fitting in. A mod where you just slide the batteries in vertically shouldn't have any problems, but i noticed on a mod like the IPV5 where you have to push the batteries into place horizontally that double wrapping caused an EXTREMELY tight fit and had to take one of the wraps off.

Same here. My mod is the iPV3 Li, so sliding the batteries in is simple. They're snug with the battery sled, but I kind of like it that way. There's a ribbon underneath the batteries so I won't have to worry about getting them stuck in there anyways!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I tried some clear wrap, but then I realized that the wrap needs to be a different color from the casing otherwise you cannot see the holes when they form.

I usually do a clear over-wrap when I see cracks in the original wrap at the ends. If you do it early you get a good repair with all the markings present through the clear wrap. But then, there are apparently some devices that have little tolerance for over-wrap thickness.

There's always the label maker solution. Create a sticker with battery information, put it on the battery and then wrap. Not pretty, but functional.

Last edited:

chazz80

Mar 28, 2016
New York
I've watched soo many youtube videos and my wraps never come as perfect as the ones i see. I think i'm too OCD with it and causing the problems myself. But i always seem to have a crease or soemthing i can never get out, then i get paranoid about the battery heating up too much cause of the blowdryer. But hey, the batteries wrapped lasted months and never ha d problem with the creases ripping. It was the bottoms that would tear from those damn battery sleds on my charger.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I've watched soo many youtube videos and my wraps never come as perfect as the ones i see. I think i'm too OCD with it and causing the problems myself. But i always seem to have a crease or soemthing i can never get out, then i get paranoid about the battery heating up too much cause of the blowdryer. But hey, the batteries wrapped lasted months and never ha d problem with the creases ripping. It was the bottoms that would tear from those damn battery sleds on my charger.

I just cut the wrap about 1/4" longer than the battery, slide it on, and heat it with my wife's 1500 watt hair dyer moving back and forth. So far, my Kidney Puncher wraps have come out smooth and clean.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

The ones I get are folded flat. Do you open them up and smooth out the creases? I've always worked them to open up the wrap and make the creases round out the shape before wrapping.

Other than that, I'd try another source for wraps. I haven't had one not shrink perfectly, yet ... but there's always the next time.

chazz80

Mar 28, 2016
New York
The ones I get are folded flat. Do you open them up and smooth out the creases? I've always worked them to open up the wrap and make the creases round out the shape before wrapping.

Other than that, I'd try another source for wraps. I haven't had one not shrink perfectly, yet ... but there's always the next time.

Yea, those are the wraps i have. Precut and flat. I stick my finger in first to try and get the creases out. Also trim them a bit so there isn't so much extra wrap covering the whole bottom negative part of the battery.

chazz80

Mar 28, 2016
New York
I was doing my daily battery wrap inspeaction today before charging and noticed somethng troubling on one of my samsung 25r's Towards the bottom of the wrap i noticed what looks like , I wouldn't say burn, but looks like when you put a piece of tape on something and take it off, like the residue left behind and going around half the battery. I looked inside the battery compartment of my ipv5 and didn't see anything that could have caused it. Can't really see inside my smok h-priv unless i take it apart. But whats weird is my other set of batteries doesn't have it. Only thing i can think of was when i had them in the plastic battery holder the other day and in my pocket and was running with them to catch a ride for work. It doesn't go all the way down to the battery, but should i still rewrap? or you think it's just scoffed up? I know when in doubt rewrap.. i just wish i knew where it came from, and what caused it.

Last edited:

jgreck

Jul 25, 2016
I was doing my daily battery wrap inspeaction today before charging and noticed somethng troubling on one of my samsung 25r's Towards the bottom of the wrap i noticed what looks like , I wouldn't say burn, but looks like when you put a piece of tape on something and take it off, like the residue left behind and going around half the battery. I looked inside the battery compartment of my ipv5 and didn't see anything that could have caused it. Can't really see inside my smok h-priv unless i take it apart. But whats weird is my other set of batteries doesn't have it. Only thing i can think of was when i had them in the plastic battery holder the other day and in my pocket and was running with them to catch a ride for work. It doesn't go all the way down to the battery, but should i still rewrap? or you think it's just scoffed up? I know when in doubt rewrap.. i just wish i knew where it came from, and what caused it.

I have a pair of married Sony VTC4s that may have had something similar but I'm not sure, and I didnt' get too much feedback on them... when I inspected my wraps, I noticed some spotting had occurred under them, but the spots were only on the wraps and not on the batteries themselves. They looked similar to the spotting I found in this thread, but I didn't read far enough into it to gather enough information as to what was happening.. I think the wraps may have accidentally gotten some juice under them when dripping a little too much, and the condensation caused the spotting. Here's a link to the thread: Dark Spots Showing Under battery Wrap VTC4 & VTC5's 18650

Maybe you had the same issue? Not sure. Anyways, I just re-wrapped the pair and they've been doing fine, no more dark spots with the re-wrap for now. It's been a month or so since then, so I think the condensation may have been the right idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread