Status
Not open for further replies.

inanitydefined

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
On a rock floating through space
are any of these clones real high quality? I'd rather buy one that holds up for a lifetime then pay less but have to buy another in a year or two. I'm not abusive to my gear, but it doesn't get babied either

And I'll pay double before I order from fasttech again. They are true dirtbags.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Nemesis, Origin, Chi-You, King. All available as reasonably priced clones.

Just a quick question... Can these be kicked with an 18650 like the OP asked for? I have been researching and am finding no info on it other than they are kickable w/ either an 18350 or 18490 battery only!!!

jwat82

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
The Land of Lincoln
I don't know of any originals that meet your criteria. But the hcigar nemmy clone is top notch quality. If you want to feel a little better about buying a clone, kidney puncher has a presale for a copper nem clone with no logos. And the ehpro nzonic clone is logoless too. My buddy loves his.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
And how is the size of an Origin or King in 18650+ kick mode when compared to a Vamo or an SVD?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Here's a pic of the King clone in 18650 mode with a kick sitting next to my Vamo3.

VamoKing.jpg

K_Tech

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
are any of these clones real high quality? I'd rather buy one that holds up for a lifetime then pay less but have to buy another in a year or two. I'm not abusive to my gear, but it doesn't get babied either

I don't have the Origin in hand yet, but the Nemesis, the King, and the Chi-You really are rock-solid.

And I'll pay double before I order from fasttech again. They are true dirtbags.

I don't like or dislike Fasttech. It is what it is. My "worst" experience with them was a package that got sucked into a black hole in Hong Kong, and I got my money back about two months after ordering.

Just a quick question... Can these be kicked with an 18650 like the OP asked for? I have been researching and am finding no info on it other than they are kickable w/ either an 18350 or 18490 battery only!!!

The King, the Chi-You, the Nemesis, and the Origin can all be kicked in 18650 mode.

I will say that the King and the Chi-You take a little bit of fiddling in 18650 mode with the kick, but all that entails is getting the battery posts adjusted properly. It can be a pain in the behind.

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
I'm a relatively new vaper, just learning about mech mods. I have been in convo with a few Chinese manufacturers about making parts (for glass). During the course of these discussions, they let me place some small orders to see samples of their best quality stainless.

One of these samples is a brand new mod... which is essentially a battery case and a PCB. No screens, no other buttons. Just a solid stainless battery tube, that will screw tighten to fit any size battery from 18350-18650, a little push button near the bottom which simply connects a metal pin to a metal tube inside the base under the negative contact of the battery, and a removeable head that contains a removable PCB. This top part of course also contains a 510 connector, with a stainless 'skin' that unscrews to reveal an Ego connector. Said removable part also has a single airhole (like found in a RDA, like the Era). It's a pretty thing. Vapes incredibly well, and I marveled at its simplicity.

After seeing this thread, I wondered if the PCB was actually a kick. I have been trying to figure out what a mechanical is, and never saw a PCB in one. Well that's what that PCB is, an Evolv kick clone. All parts are removable and replaceable. They look pretty durable tho.

Are you guys saying that such a thing didn't already exist??

I also found, when I saw the pix of the kick, that it's actually adjustable from 5-15 watts with a screwdriver, and it's a set it and forget it, and the kick just pulls right out for simple replacement if necessary (there's nothing else to it but the tube, the kick, the push button). It vapes amazingly well. I was shocked that it could handle every atomizer I put on it, from Era RDA (w/ 2.4 coil for my Ego) to carto tanks, and of course the Kayfun (w/ 1.1 ohm coil) and Steam Turbine (w/ 1.8 coil). All with a consistent vape. I have it in a rotation tho, haven't tried to vape it exclusively to see battery drain. Will try vaping it all day today to see if there's a voltage drop, but so far, haven't detected any. I'm using it with my Provari 18650 batteries.

Seriously, this is the first one? Do they usually use the little batteries??

Last edited:

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
glassgal,

I'm not really sure I understand the question. From your description, the device you have is just a simple mechanical mod with a kick (or likely a clone of the kick) inside. This type of configuration has been around for a loooong time (in "vape years" at least ;) )

OP,

The EMI Avenger can fit an 18650 + kick. While you probably aren't going to find one within your price range, you can get a clone on Fasttech super cheap. From the pics it's a 99.9% replica with only a few incredibly minor differences. Be warned though, the Avenger isn't a standard 22mm mod, so if you are looking for something to fit flush with your 22mm attys the Avenger won't.

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
glassgal,

I'm not really sure I understand the question. From your description, the device you have is just a simple mechanical mod with a kick (or likely a clone of the kick) inside. This type of configuration has been around for a loooong time (in "vape years" at least ;) )

OP,

The EMI Avenger can fit an 18650 + kick. While you probably aren't going to find one within your price range, you can get a clone on Fasttech super cheap. From the pics it's a 99.9% replica with only a few incredibly minor differences. Be warned though, the Avenger isn't a standard 22mm mod, so if you are looking for something to fit flush with your 22mm attys the Avenger won't.

Well, that's what I thought. But as I'm only just learning about mechanical mods (mostly reading about the DIY kind with your own boxes), I discovered that they don't have any boards, so I had no idea what this board was at first. Thought it was some kind of battery safety regulation (which it is I guess, but I thought it was only to prevent overheating, not actual watt regulation). Til I saw the title of this thread, I had no idea what a 'kick' meant, so I looked it up, and found my unit under "Evolv Kick" pictures. Since it came from China, I assume it's a clone.

I was suprised that no one answered the OP's question with a list of brands for the same thing, since this is what he was asking about.

Just looked up the EMI Avenger. So the prices for these 'special' mechanical mods is just in the polish and the engraving, if they are just basic metal tubes with a bought kick? :blink: I think I'm missing something... there's not a whole lot of design going on here, so what is the difference between them?

K_Tech

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Just looked up the EMI Avenger. So the prices for these 'special' mechanical mods is just in the polish and the engraving, if they are just basic metal tubes with a bought kick? :blink: I think I'm missing something... there's not a whole lot of design going on here, so what is the difference between them?
Lol. There are literally thousands of posts arguing about that very same idea.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
Well, that's what I thought. But as I'm only just learning about mechanical mods (mostly reading about the DIY kind with your own boxes), I discovered that they don't have any boards, so I had no idea what this board was at first. Thought it was some kind of battery safety regulation (which it is I guess, but I thought it was only to prevent overheating, not actual watt regulation). Til I saw the title of this thread, I had no idea what a 'kick' meant, so I looked it up, and found my unit under "Evolv Kick" pictures. Since it came from China, I assume it's a clone.

I was suprised that no one answered the OP's question with a list of brands for the same thing, since this is what he was asking about.

Lol. There are literally thousands of posts arguing about that very same idea.

LOL yep! Glassgal just opened a can-o-worms! ;)

Glassgal, you're right, mechanical mods basically are just tubes, with a simple mechanical switch on one end, and a 510 connection for your atomizer on the other end. No wires, circuit boards, etc. They are simple and reliable, and when using rebuildable atomizers you can run far more power than regulated mods can handle.

The kick is sold as an add-on for mechanical mods. It allows a bit more versatility, you can use your mechanical mod normally with straight battery voltage, running high power setups. Or you can throw the kick in there, and have some added safety features, and regulation so that your voltage stays constant, instead of slowly getting lower and lower.

It just gives you more options, and allows you to keep the sleek look of a mech with the features of a regulated device. Normally the kick is not sold with a device (meaning the OP isn't looking for a mod WITH a kick, he's looking for a mod that can fit a kick) but some devices do have "kick rings" which are extension rings specifically included to allow a kick to fit inside.

Now the price of high end mechanical mods is a result of many factors. Most vaping equipment is made in massive numbers, in huge factories in china, by rather unskilled workers getting paid very little. The products have little, or poor R&D, as evident by their constant release of products with glaring design flaws which any half-decent engineer would have ironed out in the prototyping phase.

Their quality control is also very lacking, which means damaged/out of spec products get released and sold along with the decent ones. Customers getting products with missing screws, missing holes, things improperly aligned, etc aren't uncommon when buying cheap mass produced Chinese wares. They also generally use cheaper, lower grade/quality materials.

All this allows them to sell devices that are very, very cheap in price.

High end products are usually hand-made, in very small numbers by a small number of highly skilled individuals. A lot of effort is put into research and development of the products, with many versions and different prototypes being made, tested, and revised. Quality control is better, which means the stock they ship out has been checked better, the chance of you getting something that doesn't fit right, or has some issue is reduced. Often times better quality, more expensive materials are used.

All this means that it cost the manufacturer much much more to produce their product, so they must sell it for more. Now whether or not that difference in quality is worth the price is a personal choice, but there is no denying that small-scale hand crafted items cost a lot more to produce than something made in a 5,000 person Chinese factory.

I'm sure you know of the difference between buying cheap glass blown by chinese factory workers, with suspicious or completely absent annealing processes, compared to a highly skilled craftsman making a piece of art. Someone who doesn't know glass might think the shoddy china glass is no different than a skillfully crafted piece, but we both know that isn't the case ;)

K_Tech

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
High end products are usually hand-made, in very small numbers by a small number of highly skilled individuals. A lot of effort is put into research and development of the products, with many versions and different prototypes being made, tested, and revised. Quality control is better, which means the stock they ship out has been checked better, the chance of you getting something that doesn't fit right, or has some issue is reduced. Often times better quality, more expensive materials are used.

Well said.

(I have a lot of admiration for Maynard, by the way!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread