18650's from Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveNorCal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2014
Nor•Cal
I just got 9 new 18650 batteries FOR FREE!!!

yes, as many of you probably know, most laptop batteries are built with 18650's all tied together... so, it being in my nature to recycle (being from Nor Cal and all) and it being even more in my nature to destroy things... I decide to combine both of those things and brutally rip apart an old laptop battery.

Now, can someone give me some valid reason why I shouldn't use these batteries?

Protip: Not being able to blow fat clouds is not a valid reason. I am not a cloud chaser.

I mean real reasons, like i'm going to kill myself.

cskent

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Ohio
You don't say what type of 18650's they are. If they're li-ion's they're going to be unprotected and shouldn't be used for vaping. If they're limn's you might be ok. Chances are they're li-ion's though. Besides if they're from an old laptop they've probably been well used so they might not hold a charge very well. I know I replace the 18650's for my mods every 6 months or so.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
As above, probably un-protected ICR chemistry batteries and not fit for use in a mod. They are worthless.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/129569-rechargeable-batteries.html

Don't even think about putting those in a regulated mod because it has its own protection circuitry. ICR batteries will only have an amp limit of 3 - 4 amps, not nearly what is required for the pulse regulation of a variable voltage mod. Using one of these batteries would at worse overwhelm it and likely cause it to go into thermal runaway; at best shut the mod down if you're lucky.

Unprotected use in a mechanical mod would be creating a pipe bomb waiting to explode.

Do yourself a favor and dispose of the batteries properly. I believe places like Radio Shack will accept them for proper disposal. Don't be like this fella.

ExplodingCigar.jpg

Last edited:

Keeferes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
Belton; Upstate SC
www.facebook.com
Wow. Just wow. It's actions like this that keep mainstream media full of ammo against an otherwise safe alterrnative/hobby. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for recycling and repurposing, but C'mon. Safety first people. Remeidial Vaping 101.

Now on the other hand... If your cool with puffing on a pipe bomb, by all means go for it. Just please help us all out first, and hang your sign around your neck.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Wow. Just wow. It's actions like this that keep mainstream media full of ammo against an otherwise safe alterrnative/hobby.

The good thing is he came onto the board to ask if it would be safe before using them. Now lets see if he follows sound advice, or is bull-headed and tries to prove everyone is wrong. You can lead a horse to water, but ...

b-wood

Feb 3, 2014
Haughton, LA, USA
Wow. Just wow. It's actions like this that keep mainstream media full of ammo against an otherwise safe alterrnative/hobby. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for recycling and repurposing, but C'mon. Safety first people. Remeidial Vaping 101.

Now on the other hand... If your cool with puffing on a pipe bomb, by all means go for it. Just please help us all out first, and hang your sign around your neck.

the guy obviously doesnt know they could be dangerous. he did the right thing by asking the question. i think he did put safety first in asking the people that would know. Responses like that will make people not want to ask questions. if the OP would have said he is using the batteries, your statement may have been valid.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
I Now, can someone give me some valid reason why I shouldn't use these batteries?

Protip: Not being able to blow fat clouds is not a valid reason. I am not a cloud chaser.

I mean real reasons, like i'm going to kill myself.

Sure.

Laptop batteries are designed for constant, low current drain. If you check the specs on those batteries you will probably find they are designed to drain at a rate of only 500 - 700 mA - which is way below the current demands of vaping.

If you check the manufacturers specs you will find all sorts of design criteria for the safe protection and charging circuits to be used with those batteries. You have just ripped those batteries away from the appropriate protection and charging circuits designed by the manufacturer to be used specifically with those batteries in packs.

If you can't find the manufacturer specs you don't have a clue what the safe discharge rate is. Period. You don't use batteries you cannot research.

They are now unprotected ICR chemistry batteries. If anything was going to blow up on you in e-cig use - that would be it.

Last edited:

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
How are the batteries marked? I would think that an 18650 is an 18650.

When it comes to Li-On batteries, several different chemical combinations used to create them, their safe discharge rate, their design with protection, if any - that is extremely not true. It's akin to saying "I would think an automobile is an automobile."

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
How are the batteries marked? I would think that an 18650 is an 18650.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Different battery chemistries are only applicable to different applications. We have three types of batteries that are currently used in APV's. Protected ICR (cobalt li-ion), unprotected safe-chemistry high-drain IMR (li-mn), and the new hybrids (mix of cobalt, manganese, nickle, and others). All of them are stronger in one application than others.

ILoveNorCal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2014
Nor•Cal
Yeah, I didn't really think they would work... but I thought it would be worth looking into.

At best I thought, they wouldn't be ideal, but maybe at least usable... ya know, without blowing up.

And for the record, I tried to post pictures, but they kept failing to upload and I was in a hurry.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread