Status
Not open for further replies.

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
Quote from gdeal:
Interesting point. But vaping a 28g coil vs a 32g coil is very different.

So by way of an easy example using this info, if you are vaping at 4v on a 2ohm coil, the wattage is the same for both 28g and 32g, which we all know by heart is 8 watts.

But the 28g coil will be about 11 wraps on a 2.5mm wick, the 32g will be about 5 wraps. If both coils are both spaced at the same distance, you have greater wick coverage with the 28g. However, you are also distributing that same amount of wattage over greater surface area.

That is probably one reason why you can vape at say, 20 watts like victimdies.

So while he is generating some serious heat, he must be distributing that over a greater area of wick or he would be burning his joose. In order to distribute that heat, he needs lower resistant wire and more of it. Lower resistant wire also requires more amps to achieve the same surface area heat transfer, so watts by itself is probably not the best way to describe a vape experience.

The source below states that 28g Kanthal requires a little bit more than 2x the amperage of 32g Kanthal to reach the same wire temp. So it get more complex. Real world we know that it takes 28g vs 32g a bit longer to heat up as well.

See this chart at "Nichrome Current-Temperature Tables - Current Amperes required to heat helical coils of oxidized nichrome wire." at Resistance Wire.Com | Nickel Chrome, Nickel Copper, and Iron Chrome Aluminum Alloys from Stock

I have always been leery of watts as measure for PVs. The common statement for VW is that you will always get the same results no matter the coil or the wear and tear of the unit. Since I use many SS coil/wicks and these tend to short. If a coil shorts on the third wrap of a six wrap coil and now you have lets say 8 watts off of 3 wraps instead of six wraps, that is not going to taste the same. In fact all that heat concentrated on such a small area can burn the juice.
The ideal would be a (VT) variable wire temperature PV as wire temperature is what vaporizes the juice. Don't have the electronic capabilities to build this.

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
The ideal would be a (VT) variable wire temperature PV as wire temperature is what vaporizes the juice. Don't have the electronic capabilities to build this.

Yes that would be ideal.

I'm thinking that even with the wire temp tables all the other factors relating to wicking, airflow, vaporization chamber size and shape, etc, may put too many variables in the equation for real world wire temp estimates. It looks like we are back to the art of vaping vs vapor science.

Unless someone can standardize an atty head/coil/wick with well characterize specifications, rebuildability, low cost and superior vape...

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
I put this 28g coil together for a vivi nova.

----------------------------------------------------------

Got a 1.8ohm reading and did a glow test. Nice...but wait. whats that in the center?...The hottest of hot legs Ive ever seen..

Back to the drawing board...I pryed out my fried grommet.... and redid a frankencoil.

Cleaned it up a bit and ... Glow test success!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread