28g Kanthal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikhforos

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2018
Not sure if this should have been posted in the ''Wick and wire'' thread but here I am anyways.
I've got some 28g kanthal and I'm wondering :
-How many wraps should I do in order to have close to .5 ohms?
-What watts would you recommend I vape with this material at most?
-Should I stretch the coil a bit or have it tight? -What impact would either of those choices have in my vaping?

Please consider that the diameter of the screwdriver I'll be twisting this kanthal around is about half the diameter of a typical pencil. Thanks! :)

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
For 28ga wire it’s going to be hard to get down to .5. The coil is going to be really small. Much smaller than you can do with a mandrel that big. One solution would be doing a twisted multi core with the wire you have. There are several vape calculators that can help you figure out the particulars.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
First you need to use a vape calculator (in an app or online) it will help with wraps, diameters and wattages to try.

28 gauge Kanthal in single coil .5 ohms = 3 wraps with 2mm ID, 2.6 wraps with 2.5mm ID, and 2 wraps with 3mm ID.

28 gauge Kanthal in dual coil .5 ohms= 6 wraps with 2mm ID, 5 wraps with 2.5mm ID and 4.7 wraps with 3mm ID.

Those measurements are dependent on leg length as well but straight from steam calculator which is free. I'm vaping .3 at 65 watts and could go up for warmer vape or down for cooler, so start at 20 watts and go up or down depending on your tastes.

Wattage isn't a set thing for coil resistance. Some flavors taste better or worse at a certain wattage. On a tobacco flavor I might go 20w on a fruit I might go 50w or vice versa.

Now as for how the coil should be built, that's up to you. I like tight micro coils but other like spaced, then it also depends on the atty being used as well.

Nikhforos

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2018
First you need to use a vape calculator (in an app or online) it will help with wraps, diameters and wattages to try.

28 gauge Kanthal in single coil .5 ohms = 3 wraps with 2mm ID, 2.6 wraps with 2.5mm ID, and 2 wraps with 3mm ID.

28 gauge Kanthal in dual coil .5 ohms= 6 wraps with 2mm ID, 5 wraps with 2.5mm ID and 4.7 wraps with 3mm ID.

Those measurements are dependent on leg length as well but straight from steam calculator which is free. I'm vaping .3 at 65 watts and could go up for warmer vape or down for cooler, so start at 20 watts and go up or down depending on your tastes.

Wattage isn't a set thing for coil resistance. Some flavors taste better or worse at a certain wattage. On a tobacco flavor I might go 20w on a fruit I might go 50w or vice versa.

Now as for how the coil should be built, that's up to you. I like tight micro coils but other like spaced, then it also depends on the atty being used as well.
Thanks a lot. Really helped.

Nikhforos

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2018
For 28ga wire it’s going to be hard to get down to .5. The coil is going to be really small. Much smaller than you can do with a mandrel that big. One solution would be doing a twisted multi core with the wire you have. There are several vape calculators that can help you figure out the particulars.
Will try it. Thanks.

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2015
Vienna
Dont build to a certain resistance when using a regulated mod. Its just restrictive and there is no reason to it.
Build a coil that fits the atty/airflow and your intended vaping style and dont worry about resistance too much.
If you want to build a larger coil, parallel builds are good. Easier to do and keeps the resistance at a workable level.
You can vape from very low to very high Watts with that material. It just depends how large your coil ends up. A simple 2,5mm diameter 5 wrap will work at 10W. A 4mm diameter triple parallel 10 wrap dual coil will work at 60 Watts or more.

• Useful

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You are getting good advice. I use 28 gauge SS, but it's a different material with a different resistance. However, I am also shooting for target resistances higher than you. It may be tough to achieve it with what you have, but I think it's more helpful to build the right diameter size and coil that fits your tank, rather than shooting for one particular resistance with this type of wire. You can see how you like it and experiment a bit with it, and depending on how hard/easy it is for you to manage, you may want to experiment with different wires at different gauges. Steam engine can actually help you decide which wire to buy, as you can calculate a variety of builds inputting type of wire and gauge, and then help yourself decide from there. Steam-engine.org is just very handy, any way you look at it.

Anna

Nikhforos

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2018
You are getting good advice. I use 28 gauge SS, but it's a different material with a different resistance. However, I am also shooting for target resistances higher than you. It may be tough to achieve it with what you have, but I think it's more helpful to build the right diameter size and coil that fits your tank, rather than shooting for one particular resistance with this type of wire. You can see how you like it and experiment a bit with it, and depending on how hard/easy it is for you to manage, you may want to experiment with different wires at different gauges. Steam engine can actually help you decide which wire to buy, as you can calculate a variety of builds inputting type of wire and gauge, and then help yourself decide from there. Steam-engine.org is just very handy, any way you look at it.

Anna
Thank you! I have finally managed to create a 0.5 ohm 3 wrap by twisting the wire. She vapes great

• Winner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread