Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Welp, I will now study your text, then focus on your pic. Soon, I will totally understand

the RYEDAN METHOD.

It is named.
Thank you Kat. I've never had a method named after me ... I'm famous now, lol :toast:

Hoping this will help someone who has had the same experience with that one niggling negative I've seen with my Doggies. It has totally eliminated the issue for me.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
I was just looking for a review with a build for you @ChelsB just to get you up and running, sorry it's not in English but there's probably going to be a few more video links as well to chase up on as well. Just to check for consistency in the build, as sometimes there's a bit of variation.

But if an rta leaks, it's usually down to wicking. And it can be punishing trying to find the goldilocks zone with the wicking of rta's.

But I do hope that you manage to get it to behave and not wet itself.

Reactions: ChelsB

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I would do other things like check the O rings and stuff and the tank isn't cracked but really the seals.

I have wicked my topfill (and bottom fill) doggies so poorly at times I have often considered if it would be possible to vape it without a wick at all but I always chickened out.

It's not like I don't get leaking issues without trying but really it's hard to mess that sucker up.

IDK if you were having some TOPFILL ISSUE where the annoyingly hard to move um, JFC that is in my opinion totally not very necessary was going on. I find it very hard to find a good drip tip that will open/close it smoothly and it does (technically) have JFC.

Anna

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Good suggestion to try on a different tank; I hadn’t thought of that. Unfortunately I already pulled out the wick so I’ll re-wick. I also used rayon but did not thin the tails. I will try thin tails next and then switch the tank if it leaks. Is this known to be a finicky tank to wick?
    I will keep trying as I have 2 of these and would really like to be able to use them! Thanks very much for the help, I appreciate it!

I only slightly thinned the tails near the ends, so they could rest under the deck easily.

No it shouldn't be finicky. It's certainly not as easy as the 2k16 doggy, but very similar. That is what makes me think it's a problem with your tank and not your wicking

ChelsB

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 12, 2016
    California
    I only slightly thinned the tails near the ends, so they could rest under the deck easily.

No it shouldn't be finicky. It's certainly not as easy as the 2k16 doggy, but very similar. That is what makes me think it's a problem with your tank and not your wicking

Any tips on a stuck 2k16 base? I have no leaks on that one but I can’t get the tank section off. I foolishly tried using my sharp wick fluffer as leverage in the air hole; it slipped and cut my finger. I’m wondering if others have had a stuck tank and what they did to fix it?

Reactions: stols001

ChelsB

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 12, 2016
    California
    If no wicking technique solves the leaking issue, there's an air leak somewhere, no doubt about it. Assuming glass (or plastic) tank is not chipped or cracked, it's an oring issue, most likely the top cap oring or the chimney oring or both.

If you never used these tanks before with success, could be that one of both of these orings shipped with the tank are slightly too thin to do their job. It happens.

As far as loosening stuck tank parts I use a combination of pliers with a rag to avoid damage & grippy gloves. Also, you can put the tank in the freezer for about 20 minutes. This will contract the parts, even metal, and may allow you to get stuck parts unstuck more easily (but you still may need tools).

Since I had no troubles today with the 2k16 maybe it isn’t user error after all. I’ll stick it in the freezer (I was hesitant to try that as I didn’t want to crack the plastic tank but I’ll only leave it in for 10 minutes or so). Thanks for replying!

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Sounds like you got good advice (and at this point I also doubt it's a wicking issue) You didn't mention the juice you are using... what is the VG/PG ratio? I actually doubt that's the problem but the more info we have... Are you sure there is not a missing o-ring? Maybe someone else know the details about that.
    If it makes you feel any better, I have a Kanger Subtank Mini that worked fine with both coils that came with it (drop-in coils) Now I tried the "newer" coils (long story but I got the coils for free) It leaks like crazy! I have read about this issue before. Anyway, I really am just interested in using the RBA that came with it... if that leaks, I will cry.
    Freezer, rubber gloves, ect... good luck. I have had to resort to two pair of "channel lock" pliers with electrical tape on the pliers (as a last resort but it worked) Sometimes RTAs leak... it is frustrating but if you catch it before it "pisses" all over your mod then it's not a major problem (I freak out if it actually get in the 510 or fire button of the mod)
    P.S. when you fill it, close the airflow and don't fill all the way... might help. I hate mysteries. I have two RTAs (silverplay)... one leaks, one doesn't (I'm convinced it's a manufacturing defect) Have tried over and over with the leaker and nothing helps.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 12, 2016
    California
    Flip it upside down, stick a small screwdriver in the airflow hole and use that as leverage to unscrew it. @Katdarling has a blingy picture of it somewhere ;)

I tried to do that but it didn’t work. Hopefully she will post a pic as the freezer didn’t work :-(
    My fingers are very sore from trying to unscrew that thing. I’m worried that it’s totally stuck and I won’t get to use it again. I guess I could try taking a hammer to the plastic tank and breaking the pieces off (That will be my last resort).

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I guess I could try taking a hammer to the plastic tank and breaking the pieces off (That will be my last resort).

Glad you got it working I was gonna say send it to me the Doggy 2018 topfill tanks are my special tank to break, and you won't feel so guilty about it, LOL.

Glad you achieved your goalz.

RTAs can be so annoying man. Mine will require anywhere from 5 minutes to 3 hours to deal with depending on like, the state of the moon, the state of my hands and the vagaries of fate.

Anna

My first doggy was possessed, too. Don't worry it gets easier (I think)

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    the Universe
    LMAO!!!!!!!!!! SMT, you brought a genuine smile/giggle to mah face!
    Hi Blingy One!

Cool, I do aim to please. :thumbs:

Although, sometimes I just aimlessly aim and nothing pleasing happens.
    zw3tMlbZm.jpg

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2011
    Utopia
    I live by the same 'finger tight' rule with the vast majority of my vape hardware ShowMeTwice, but my SJMY 2K16 bases get a not so gentle tighten with the tips of a long nose plier in the wick grooves. I found this makes it foolproof for me to take the tank off to refill without having the atty unscrew from my mod. I don't use an O-ring between the clear tank and the base so I need the tank to touch the base, and these tanks get tighter than I want extremely easily. I started doing this soon after beginning to work with my first one and have never had an issue since.

BTW, I also really enjoy hammer time :)

Pics please, oh Ryedan one?

Or not. Just keeding.

No, I'm not. I WOULD like to see what you mean.

Got time to do so? If that's a no, so be it. I shall not regale you with blingy pleas.

:D

Reactions: Ryedan

ChelsB

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 12, 2016
    California
    I would do other things like check the O rings and stuff and the tank isn't cracked but really the seals.

I have wicked my topfill (and bottom fill) doggies so poorly at times I have often considered if it would be possible to vape it without a wick at all but I always chickened out.

It's not like I don't get leaking issues without trying but really it's hard to mess that sucker up.

IDK if you were having some TOPFILL ISSUE where the annoyingly hard to move um, JFC that is in my opinion totally not very necessary was going on. I find it very hard to find a good drip tip that will open/close it smoothly and it does (technically) have JFC.

Anna

Thanks for the suggestions. I checked the orings and they seem to be fine. This must be user error, so frustrating that others don’t seem to have the same issues so I know it’s me :-(

ChelsB

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 12, 2016
    California
    Sounds like you got good advice (and at this point I also doubt it's a wicking issue) You didn't mention the juice you are using... what is the VG/PG ratio? I actually doubt that's the problem but the more info we have... Are you sure there is not a missing o-ring? Maybe someone else know the details about that.
    If it makes you feel any better, I have a Kanger Subtank Mini that worked fine with both coils that came with it (drop-in coils) Now I tried the "newer" coils (long story but I got the coils for free) It leaks like crazy! I have read about this issue before. Anyway, I really am just interested in using the RBA that came with it... if that leaks, I will cry.
    Freezer, rubber gloves, ect... good luck. I have had to resort to two pair of "channel lock" pliers with electrical tape on the pliers (as a last resort but it worked) Sometimes RTAs leak... it is frustrating but if you catch it before it "pisses" all over your mod then it's not a major problem (I freak out if it actually get in the 510 or fire button of the mod)
    P.S. when you fill it, close the airflow and don't fill all the way... might help. I hate mysteries. I have two RTAs (silverplay)... one leaks, one doesn't (I'm convinced it's a manufacturing defect) Have tried over and over with the leaker and nothing helps.

I am using 70 VG/30 PG juice and I did fully close the airflow before filling (and then as soon as I opened the airflow, juice started leaking out).
    I used to use the RBA for the subtank mini and that was SO easy to build and wick. I never had ANY problems with it! I’m guessing that RTAs are a bit more finicky and less forgiving compared to the STM RBA...

• Optimistic

ChelsB

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 12, 2016
    California
    Glad you got it working I was gonna say send it to me the Doggy 2018 topfill tanks are my special tank to break, and you won't feel so guilty about it, LOL.

Glad you achieved your goalz.

RTAs can be so annoying man. Mine will require anywhere from 5 minutes to 3 hours to deal with depending on like, the state of the moon, the state of my hands and the vagaries of fate.

Anna

My first doggy was possessed, too. Don't worry it gets easier (I think)

Thanks for letting me know I’m not the only one who had problems. I’m happy to send my 2k18 to you if you want it? Since it’s been so difficult for me to figure out, it’s no longer a fun challenge for me. I’ll just stick with the more forgiving 2k16

• Optimistic
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread