Not open for further replies.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
Hello all,
I’m sure this has been discussed before as this is not a new tank, but after doing a search I didn’t find an answer. I also didn’t find much help on YouTube. I just pulled out my 2k18 doggystyle (I think that’s the correct version, it is a top fill) and built and wicked it. It has been so long since I bought this and read up on it, I don’t remember any of the tips and tricks.
As soon as I adjusted the airflow, ejuice started leaking in large amounts out of the holes. Luckily I was able to salvage most of the juice as it was premium juice I just bought from a store (not diy). What did I do wrong? Is it a wicking issue or is something else wrong? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Sorry if this has been covered before, but didn’t know where else to ask and I want to get this tank to work.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
I was just looking for a review with a build for you @ChelsB just to get you up and running, sorry it's not in English but there's probably going to be a few more video links as well to chase up on as well. Just to check for consistency in the build, as sometimes there's a bit of variation.

But if an RTA leaks, it's usually down to wicking. And it can be punishing trying to find the goldilocks zone with the wicking of RTA's.

But I do hope that you manage to get it to behave and not wet itself.

Reactions: ChelsB

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
I was just looking for a review with a build for you @ChelsB just to get you up and running, sorry it's not in English but there's probably going to be a few more video links as well to chase up on as well. Just to check for consistency in the build, as sometimes there's a bit of variation.

But if an RTA leaks, it's usually down to wicking. And it can be punishing trying to find the goldilocks zone with the wicking of RTA's.

But I do hope that you manage to get it to behave and not wet itself.

Yes, I still struggle with the perfect wick for most RTAs. That’s why I like the Avocado: no matter how I wick it, I don’t get leaks!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I would do other things like check the O rings and stuff and the tank isn't cracked but really the seals.

I have wicked my topfill (and bottom fill) doggies so poorly at times I have often considered if it would be possible to vape it without a wick at all but I always chickened out.

It's not like I don't get leaking issues without trying but really it's hard to mess that sucker up.

IDK if you were having some TOPFILL ISSUE where the annoyingly hard to move um, JFC that is in my opinion totally not very necessary was going on. I find it very hard to find a good drip tip that will open/close it smoothly and it does (technically) have JFC.

Anna

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
I've found the Taifun Typhoon GT IV (Ulton clone) to not be completely awful with wicking, was an absolute pain to get working with Rayon. As every build video used Cotton, so took about 2 months to get it to behave itself.

The answer was much shorter tails than if you were using cotton, as in you have to cut level around the juice/liquid control.

Last edited:

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
I would do other things like check the O rings and stuff and the tank isn't cracked but really the seals.

I have wicked my topfill (and bottom fill) doggies so poorly at times I have often considered if it would be possible to vape it without a wick at all but I always chickened out.

It's not like I don't get leaking issues without trying but really it's hard to mess that sucker up.

IDK if you were having some TOPFILL ISSUE where the annoyingly hard to move um, JFC that is in my opinion totally not very necessary was going on. I find it very hard to find a good drip tip that will open/close it smoothly and it does (technically) have JFC.

Anna

Thanks for the suggestions. I checked the orings and they seem to be fine. This must be user error, so frustrating that others don’t seem to have the same issues so I know it’s me :-(

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Thanks for the suggestions. I checked the orings and they seem to be fine. This must be user error, so frustrating that others don’t seem to have the same issues so I know it’s me :-(

Can you switch to a different 2k18 tank, while using your current build? That may give you an indication if it's a wicking problem, or an o-ring problem.

Here's my wicking for the 2k18 doggy:
    soggy2k18-jpg.786823

2k18wickchannel-jpg.786819

These were using rayon and the tails were thinned. With cotton, I don't thin the tails - just plonk them in the channels, so that the ends spread out under coil deck

ChelsB

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 12, 2016
    California
    Can you switch to a different 2k18 tank, while using your current build? That may give you an indication if it's a wicking problem, or an o-ring problem.

Here's my wicking for the 2k18 doggy:
    soggy2k18-jpg.786823

2k18wickchannel-jpg.786819

These were using rayon and the tails were thinned. With cotton, I don't thin the tails - just plonk them in the channels, so that the ends spread out under coil deck

Good suggestion to try on a different tank; I hadn’t thought of that. Unfortunately I already pulled out the wick so I’ll re-wick. I also used rayon but did not thin the tails. I will try thin tails next and then switch the tank if it leaks. Is this known to be a finicky tank to wick?
    I will keep trying as I have 2 of these and would really like to be able to use them! Thanks very much for the help, I appreciate it!

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Good suggestion to try on a different tank; I hadn’t thought of that. Unfortunately I already pulled out the wick so I’ll re-wick. I also used rayon but did not thin the tails. I will try thin tails next and then switch the tank if it leaks. Is this known to be a finicky tank to wick?
    I will keep trying as I have 2 of these and would really like to be able to use them! Thanks very much for the help, I appreciate it!

I only slightly thinned the tails near the ends, so they could rest under the deck easily.

No it shouldn't be finicky. It's certainly not as easy as the 2k16 doggy, but very similar. That is what makes me think it's a problem with your tank and not your wicking

ChelsB

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 12, 2016
    California
    I only slightly thinned the tails near the ends, so they could rest under the deck easily.

No it shouldn't be finicky. It's certainly not as easy as the 2k16 doggy, but very similar. That is what makes me think it's a problem with your tank and not your wicking

Any tips on a stuck 2k16 base? I have no leaks on that one but I can’t get the tank section off. I foolishly tried using my sharp wick fluffer as leverage in the air hole; it slipped and cut my finger. I’m wondering if others have had a stuck tank and what they did to fix it?

Reactions: stols001

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    If no wicking technique solves the leaking issue, there's an air leak somewhere, no doubt about it. Assuming glass (or plastic) tank is not chipped or cracked, it's an oring issue, most likely the top cap oring or the chimney oring or both.

If you never used these tanks before with success, could be that one of both of these orings shipped with the tank are slightly too thin to do their job. It happens.

As far as loosening stuck tank parts I use a combination of pliers with a rag to avoid damage & grippy gloves. Also, you can put the tank in the freezer for about 20 minutes. This will contract the parts, even metal, and may allow you to get stuck parts unstuck more easily (but you still may need tools).

ChelsB

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 12, 2016
    California
    If no wicking technique solves the leaking issue, there's an air leak somewhere, no doubt about it. Assuming glass (or plastic) tank is not chipped or cracked, it's an oring issue, most likely the top cap oring or the chimney oring or both.

If you never used these tanks before with success, could be that one of both of these orings shipped with the tank are slightly too thin to do their job. It happens.

As far as loosening stuck tank parts I use a combination of pliers with a rag to avoid damage & grippy gloves. Also, you can put the tank in the freezer for about 20 minutes. This will contract the parts, even metal, and may allow you to get stuck parts unstuck more easily (but you still may need tools).

Since I had no troubles today with the 2k16 maybe it isn’t user error after all. I’ll stick it in the freezer (I was hesitant to try that as I didn’t want to crack the plastic tank but I’ll only leave it in for 10 minutes or so). Thanks for replying!

Reactions: stols001

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Any tips on a stuck 2k16 base? I have no leaks on that one but I can’t get the tank section off. I foolishly tried using my sharp wick fluffer as leverage in the air hole; it slipped and cut my finger. I’m wondering if others have had a stuck tank and what they did to fix it?

Flip it upside down, stick a small screwdriver in the airflow hole and use that as leverage to unscrew it. @Katdarling has a blingy picture of it somewhere ;)

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Flip it upside down, stick a small screwdriver in the airflow hole and use that as leverage to unscrew it. @Katdarling has a blingy picture of it somewhere ;)
    Be careful. The one time I tried that, the 2mm air hole became a 3mm :(.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread