3.5ml Smoktech DCT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samie

Apr 16, 2010
OR, USA
Hey all!!

I got in my DCTs from litecigusa.net and all I get from the first one is burning taste!! I expected it might be bad the first couple of puffs to prime but this almost made me sick!! I'm very happy!!! Is this just the carto? Is there something I can do about it?

I have an extra tank and cartos, but i'm flat out scared to try them now!! I'm 24 hours off of analogs and that one almost sent me running right back!!

Thanks
Sam

Frick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2011
Ohio
Did you prime the carto? I assume you're using the 1.5 ohm DC carto that came with it. It requires priming with 10-15 drops of juice.

Assemble the tank, fill it, prime the carto with 10-15 drops, and let it sit a while. Take a couple fast hard pulls without pressing the button on the PV to start the juice drawing into the carto, and it should wick well from then on.

These work best with juice that's at least 70% PG. Thicker juices won't wick well and may require you to punch larger holes in the cartos.

Or, you just got a bad carto. It happens.

dripdaddy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 3, 2011
Lone Star State
I'm with Frick on this one. Most of the problems I have seen with burnt tasting cartos in tanks is the lack of proper priming. It might have something to do with a "its soaking in a tank of fluid" mindset. Patience is key. I usually let my tank sit for at least 20-30 minutes after priming. A couple off dry pulls, then ready to go.

DarkAynjil

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2011
El Paso
I'm with Frick on this one. Most of the problems I have seen with burnt tasting cartos in tanks is the lack of proper priming. It might have something to do with a "its soaking in a tank of fluid" mindset. Patience is key. I usually let my tank sit for at least 20-30 minutes after priming. A couple off dry pulls, then ready to go.

I usually prime with 10 - 15 drops with the carto out of the tank. 3-4 drops, blow through the carto, 3-4 drops, til it looks moist all through, then I put it in the tank, fill the tank, and go make a cup of coffee. I blow a little into the carto in the tank, bubbles come up, I take a few dry hits (not firing it) and vape. Usually works well. I have had a few smoktech carto's taste burnt no matter what, though.

bev135

Sep 14, 2011
Colorado
Ok, so I did a dumb thing with my first try on these and took a big puff without priming the carto. Aaack! Worst. Taste. Ever. (Hey... it's sitting in a tank full of juice... how could it be dry?) Never again!

Then I remembered about priming and was successful at getting good wet vapor. But it still tastes burnt. Is there anything I can do to save the carto? Will rinsing it out help?

Charlz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2011
upstate NY
Ok, so I did a dumb thing with my first try on these and took a big puff without priming the carto. Aaack! Worst. Taste. Ever. (Hey... it's sitting in a tank full of juice... how could it be dry?) Never again!

Then I remembered about priming and was successful at getting good wet vapor. But it still tastes burnt. Is there anything I can do to save the carto? Will rinsing it out help?

I haven't been able to. If you got too eager and burnt the wick it will always have that taste. You can try, though. It sure couldn't hurt but I'd try filling it up like a normal cart before slapping it back in a tank to see if it worked. Cover the holes with tape for the fill.

cricque

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Well I got the same issue ... Using 100% PG and it isn't wicking properly. I did put enough drops in the carto. At first it bubbled a bit ... But the top seems so dry. I get a couple of good hits, and then I really have to wait for a very very long time. Now i already tried with a nail to make it a bit bigger ... But same thing, top of the carto seems to stay very very dry. SO perhaps trying an even bigger hole ?

I do hear the lovely cracking/popping sound when taking a hit

Puff Diddy Tank - 3ml - Dual Coil from ecigwizard.co.uk

Last edited:

cricque

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I never tried VG so far, but ordered some 80 PG/20 VG. The issue I am having is with 100% PG which isnt that thick already. I Got the hole a bit bigger. But the top is almost completely dry ... The taste is awesome when I drop into the carto. But that's not the point of a tank in my opinion. Anyway I let it sit for the night, and the top was a little moist perhaps. Took a couple of hits, looked again ... let it sit while driving, not much better. So tonight i'll try to make the hole even larger. Or get a 2nd hole in

And this is my first time trying, just don't want to burn the cartomizer directly. Did order some spares also

Sweeney Todd

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2012
Durham, NC USA
stvapors.com
As was said above, a carto tank isn't going to keep the carto fully wet, just to the level of the liquid.

If you enlarge the hole too much or add too many extras, the carto will flood, which IMO makes it feel like trying to vape through a wet paper towel. If your carto isn't giving dry hits and isn't flooding, then you're in the sweet spot.

Shortstuff116

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Bellingham, MA
As Frick said in an earlier post "Take a couple fast hard pulls without pressing the button on the PV to start the juice drawing into the carto, and it should wick well from then on". Without pushing the vape button, just suck hard on your carto, a few quick short (hard) pulls and you should see air bubbles coming out of the holes in your carto.

I slot all my cartos because all my juices are 50/50 PG/VG. Two wide slots (on opposite sides of the carto) and I have no problems with keeping my carto good and wet and no flooding issues either. You just have to try different things to see what works best for you and your juices.

Shortstuff116

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Bellingham, MA
Shortstuff, what did you use to make the slots bigger? I can't see myself using a hack saw to make them bigger.

Casey

I do exactly what pbusardo's video demonstates in this video (and using an actual Dremel with the same EZ-Lock system). I just cut my 5ml DC tank down so I can slot my regular 3 ohm Boge's (I just got 50 of them for a little over $38.00).

Works perfectly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread