giphy.gif

for my next coil.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Hello Everyone,

How in the world do you build with this wire? The wire is thinner than a modern day size 0 model. Jiggly. Gets messed up when passing the wicks through the coil. Absolute trouble. :yawn:

24s/26s are far more comfortable. :wub:
One if my favorites ...

Current build is 3x30ss twisted at 0.32ohm running approx 15watts in an Avocado on my pico 75....

Use it single strand single coil in my Kayfun for around an ohm. Or .5ohm or higher duals.

Multiple thin wires provides better vape than a fatter wire for me.... so instead of 26awg Ill choose 2 28 or 3 30 or 4 32 ect. I build almost exclusively single coil.. hate wrapped wire builds(claptons) and rarely go higher than 25watts.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I've been regularly buying the packs of SS316L and the Kanthal A1, 1.5ohm pre-wound coils from FT. They're made with 30ga. wire. Been using some in my Berserkers since January, and in little KFL+ "shorty" RTAs for 2+ years before that. Never had a problem with the wire distorting while wicking it with cotton or rayon. I just use 1 fingernail to sort of hold the coil, so it doesn't move and get all jiggy, as I pull the wick through it.

I also buy the same 2 types of pre-wound coils in 1.3ohms from FT. They're made with 28ga. wire. There's really no difference in using them, than the 1.5ohm 30ga. ones, for me anyway.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I use 30 in Pro Tank heads. Contact coils are a lot more stable than open coils for inserting cotton. You can't pack it in tight so I never tried it with rayon. Just twist the end of the cotton and poke it through. If you get it cut at the right thickness it goes in fine. You can hold the end of the coil steady with your fingernail to stop it moving when you pull the wick through.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Yeah, I still haven't mastered how much cotton to cut for the 30 coils. Like a fat wad of cotton can pass through a 24 coz the wires are stiffer. 30s it is very difficult.

For me, when I was using KohGenDo cotton...getting the thickness right was more trial and error, compared to using rayon 100% of the time for about 9 months now. You might want to try it with those 30ga. coils. Just sort of corkscrew it through the coil.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
2x28 or 3x30 twisted is awesome. I use 2x28 on single coil builds when I need a little extra surface area. The build resistance is in the same neighborhood for the number of wraps and I don't lose much in temp control precision.

I have some 3x30 twisted up but haven't had the opportunity to try it yet. Maybe this week.

Reactions: Beamslider

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston

You can also do it without power tools, just need a weight, pass the wire through, let it hang and spin it, that could be just about anything like scissors or a wrench. Won't be as tight as the power tool version but will work anyways.

I used a coffee mug. Worked perfectly!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread