Status
Not open for further replies.

Zipslack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2013
Wesson, MS, USA
I thought it was 32 or 34 for Protank/Evod heads...?

30 is all I use, A1 or SS316. I do single wire at 1-1.5 Ohms spaced, depending on what the topper is. 12-15 Watts or TC and it's fine...good flavor and decent enough cloud. Twist your cotton tight as you pull it through, then untwist once it's in. "Ramp up" is practically non-existent and battery life is great.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
For Protank coils I used a heavy needle under the wick and wrapped 30ga kanthal around it. Once wound I pulled the needle out and twisted the coil a little to tighten it before installing. It's a struggle at first, but you get better with repetition.

Once I discovered Kayfun I never looked back. I still have some old Pro-tank coils in a box in the closet for nostalgic memories. :)

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
30 gauge wire is a bit fragile compared to the thicker stuff, but I still find it fairly easy to work with using KGD or Muji cotton. Here is a pic of an early build I did on my Aqua V2 using SS which is what I still use in this:

mijkmq.jpg

I was experimenting with different amounts of cotton above the juice channels which is why the front wick tails are so much bigger than the rear wicks. I finally settled on about half way between them.

I would not want to try this with Rayon because I find I need to pack Rayon tighter into the coils than cotton and that would make it harder to keep the coils from deforming too much. I pack cotton a bit tighter than most people do I think so it's fairly snug in there. I twist the cotton to get it into the coils and then untwist and fluff to get it to open up again. I can dry burn and rewick this setup pretty much as many times as I can thicker wire.

It vapes great at 12-17 watts and has loads of flavor with almost no heat up time. I've found other atties I prefer since then for one reason or another, but I always have one of these set up and ready to go.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
For Protank coils I used a heavy needle under the wick and wrapped 30ga kanthal around it. Once wound I pulled the needle out and twisted the coil a little to tighten it before installing. It's a struggle at first, but you get better with repetition.

Once I discovered Kayfun I never looked back. I still have some old Pro-Tank coils in a box in the closet for nostalgic memories. :)

I remember that trick!

Nostalgic memories or vapocolypse.
The memories I recently had with eGo-C makes me think I might quit before the vapocolypse gets that bad.

Reactions: DaveP

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    I never had any problem wicking a Protank head. I started out dry burning and rewicking the original coils, they're #34 or smaller with about 1/16" ID. After that I'd pull out the wick on a new one and replace it with cotton, too much better. It's just a small coil and really hard to thread it through initially. Spend nine-tenths of the time shaping the cotton perfectly and whoosh right in. Shouldn't come close to tight enough to deform anything. For rebuilding them, I recommend the pre-welded NR-R-NR wire coil assemblies only.

I normally use 26s, sometimes 24. But just got a 30 to make some high resistance coils, coz i can get that with less wraps.

To make the same size coil with thinner wire requires more wraps, or a parallel technique. Either will get faster response (properly adjusted). The other reason for using smaller wire is to make smaller coils and still have as a high or higher resistance (closer to constant voltage) or to get less power flow at the same voltage.

The tricky part of small coils especially is getting them mounted. Wicking on tanks is an art or something but deforming the coil with it isn't the issue.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    I never had any problem wicking a Protank head. I started out dry burning and rewicking the original coils, they're #34 or smaller with about 1/16" ID. After that I'd pull out the wick on a new one and replace it with cotton, too much better. It's just a small coil and really hard to thread it through initially. Spend nine-tenths of the time shaping the cotton perfectly and whoosh right in. Shouldn't come close to tight enough to deform anything. For rebuilding them, I recommend the pre-welded NR-R-NR wire coil assemblies only.
    I never re-wicked the original coils. I went straight to 30 gauge 1/16" ID contact coils wicked with cotton. That was a pretty respectable vape for a while, until they inevitably started tasting like burnt rubber, a problem that could probably be avoided by using pre-welded NR-R-NR wire.

Myk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    I never re-wicked the original coils. I went straight to 30 gauge 1/16" ID contact coils wicked with cotton. That was a pretty respectable vape for a while, until they inevitably started tasting like burnt rubber, a problem that could probably be avoided by using pre-welded NR-R-NR wire.

I rarely had a hot leg problem and that was on Vivi Nova.

I never cared what the originals were. I built to what I liked. I tried a bunch of wire cards and decided 30ga was what I liked best.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 20, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    I tried twisting a wire today just for trial. As usual didn't go well in the first attempt. Didn't realize, but I kinked it in the middle! :(

Oh well, will try one tomorrow!
    I haven't tried it yet. I'll let you discover all the likely issues for me (for a beginner) first. Thanks!

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    I tried twisting a wire today just for trial. As usual didn't go well in the first attempt. Didn't realize, but I kinked it in the middle! :(

Oh well, will try one tomorrow!
    Tension is essential. The tighter you want the twist, the more tension is needed.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Twisted wire is so springy. Gave up on it, because its such a pita.
    And thats coming from a guy who's regularly building with 30 and 32 gauge.
    I don't find that to be much of a problem, but if it were, it would be easy enough to fix by giving the wire a quick pass over a torch after twisting it.

untar

Vaping Master
    Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    I'm aware you can fiddle around and get it installed with some finger gymnastics. But that again goes into pita territory.
    <insert inappropriate popular with the ladies joke>

You could make a jig for that with a small piece of plastic pipe and a clothespin. Cut off two segments from the pipe and glue it to the part of the clothespin where the arms pinch together, that would go right over your coil after wrapping and prevent any springing while handling it. Just some silly idea from the top of what I use as a brain :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread