36 hours to charge 3 16850 batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
And should I? Charge now or wait till done? What is best?
Oh just built to Twisted 26s with six raps for my dead rabbit. At .43 ohms to test a new juice I made. I was looking for a marshmallow Mandarin however it taste like Bazooka bubble gum. Not bad just unexpected
If it were me, I'd go ahead and charge them fully. Like I said, lithium batteries don't have "memory". The Nickle Cadium batteries that were used in the old video recorders had memory and had to be run dead before they could be recharged.

Another source:
  • "Li-Ion batteries do not need to be discharged occasionally all the way down in order to keep them in top condition. Li-Ion batteries do not suffer from "memory". This is only needed for NiCd (nickel-cadmium) or NiMH (nickel metal hydride) batteries. " --- Battery Mooch

Last edited:

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Retail store tired of seeing me gave me 3 new batteries. Samsung 25r said to vape them 2-0 in mod and then recharge is that correct?

I am assuming they mean "zero" as in having the device complain about a low battery. That is ok--Wismec devices' low voltage cutoff is 3.2v but depending on the power setting you have, the mod might complain at 3.3v or higher.

Samsung 25R have 2500mah capacity. If you remove them for recharging sooner, it will take less time to reach full charge. This means swapping batteries more often, but it can lengthen the useful life of the batteries by not fully discharging them.

It is also true that not fully recharging them can lengthen their lives. Recharging at 3.4v and stopping at 4.0v can almost double the number of charge cycles. But I don't know of any vaper who stops charging at 4.0...

RigBick

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2018
Clearwater, Fl
It is absolutely possible that the batteries are counterfeit or more likely damaged, I believe .04 ohms is below the specs on that device. Even if the batteries are genuine you can push them beyond their capabilities using too high wattage. Are you running in TC or wattage mod, if wattage how high?
No I meant .4 fat fingers small keyboard. Actually .43 at usually 80 - 130 watts.

Rex Everything

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2014
Tacoma
Only came with usb I bought a wall block. A good one.
any info I have found on the avatar digicharger has a wall wort that comes with....maybe a counterfeit charger?

Features
Capable of charging 3 batteries of different sizes, types, and capacities, simultaneously
Each battery slot monitors and charges batteries independently
QC2.0 Quick Charger included, operable independently
5 V/ 2 A power bank function powered by up to 3 batteries; continuous, simultaneous power output
Quick Charge charging current adjustable between 0.5 A, 1 A, 1.5 A, and 2 A
Optimized charging design for IMR batteries -Integrated LCD panel displays charging parameters and progress
Compatible with and identifies lithium-ion, nickel-metal hydride, and nickel cadmium rechargeable batteries
Automatically detects battery power status and selects appropriate voltage/ charge mode (CC, CV, DV/ DT)
Multiple charging protection; constant current&voltage and trickle charging; overcharge protection
Intelligent design determines charging time and shuts off charge when overtime, ensuring charge safety
Reverse polarity battery protection -Compatible with 18650, 26650, and small capacity batteries
Designed for optimal heat dissipation -Certified by CE, FCC, and RoHS

Reactions: stols001

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I have many 18650 batteries of different manufactures at different mA and CDR rating. I use a Nitecore D4 multibay charger. The average charge time for full charge if im charging 4 at a time is 4-5 hours. At worst, ive known it to be 6 hours.
    Charging just two at a time is quicker, normally around 3-4 hrs.
    Something is not right with your charger.

RigBick

ECF Veteran
    Mar 29, 2018
    Clearwater, Fl
    any info I have found on the avatar digicharger has a wall wort that comes with....maybe a counterfeit charger?

Features
    Capable of charging 3 batteries of different sizes, types, and capacities, simultaneously
    5 V/ 2 A power bank function powered by up to 3 batteries; continuous, simultaneous power output
    Optimized charging design for IMR batteries -Integrated LCD panel displays charging parameters and progress
    Compatible with and identifies lithium-ion, nickel-metal hydride, and nickel cadmium rechargeable batteries
    Automatically detects battery power status and selects appropriate voltage/ charge mode (CC, CV, DV/ DT)
    Multiple charging protection; constant current&voltage and trickle charging; overcharge protection
    Intelligent design determines charging time and shuts off charge when overtime, ensuring charge safety
    Reverse polarity battery protection -Compatible with 18650, 26650, and small capacity batteries
    Yeah that is the one but neither of the two came with wall block. I bought one. A fairly expensive one. 15 bucks at Lowe's.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 28, 2011
    Arizona
    I would put the new batteries on the charger before using them and note the initial voltage of each cell. If the new batteries take longer than normal to fully charge you'll know the problem is probably in the charging system (charger or power source). Could still be a battery issue so make sure you note the voltage of each before charging.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    Yeah that is the one but neither of the two came with wall block. I bought one. A fairly expensive one. 15 bucks at Lowe's.
    Can you take that one back and spend that money on a charger(one that has a wall plug included) or batteries from the recommended places our members have listed for you?

You have some of the most experienced members here trying to help you to be safe when vaping. The batteries are the ONE thing that you should never skimp on. Plus good authentic batteries can last 2-3 years if you take care of them and charge them on a decent charger. You came here looking for help to solve your problem and have been provided tons of info. Please heed that advice as I, for one, don't want to read in the news of another battery/charger incident. Vaping is a wonderful thing, but do it safely and you will succeed in reaching your goal in being a satisfied vaper.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

:)

Mr. Relentless

ECF Veteran
    Oct 17, 2017

Features
    I didn't see a wall wart in there oh wait never mind I see it

RigBick

ECF Veteran
    Mar 29, 2018
    Clearwater, Fl
    Can you take that one back and spend that money on a charger(one that has a wall plug included) or batteries from the recommended places our members have listed for you?

You have some of the most experienced members here trying to help you to be safe when vaping. The batteries are the ONE thing that you should never skimp on. Plus good authentic batteries can last 2-3 years if you take care of them and charge them on a decent charger. You came here looking for help to solve your problem and have been provided tons of info. Please heed that advice as I, for one, don't want to read in the news of another battery/charger incident. Vaping is a wonderful thing, but do it safely and you will succeed in reaching your goal in being a satisfied vaper.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

:)
    Yeah it's definitely the charger. It works just very slowly. I placed the batteries in there yesterday early afternoon and they are still not charged. I did however forget to note the exact voltage on each battery somewhere around 3.25. Right now they're up to like 3 .90. This is the second charger they have now replaced the charger as well as the batteries and I'm still having the same problem. I've been assured the batteries are authentic and I have no reason not to believe it. I will purchase a new charger when my finances allow until then I'll muddle through with this one it doesn't get hot and it doesn't seem unsafe.

BillW50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    US
    If it were me, I'd go ahead and charge them fully. Like I said, lithium batteries don't have "memory". The Nickle Cadium batteries that were used in the old video recorders had memory and had to be run dead before they could be recharged.

Another source:
    • "Li-Ion batteries do not need to be discharged occasionally all the way down in order to keep them in top condition. Li-Ion batteries do not suffer from "memory". This is only needed for NiCd (nickel-cadmium) or NiMH (nickel metal hydride) batteries. " --- Battery Mooch
    Yeah well I rarely disagree with Mooch. But I have been using NiCad since the 70's, NiMH since the early 90's, and Li-Ion since the late 90's. And NiCad *does* have a horrible memory effect. But NiMH absolutely *does not*. You can charge them anytime you want and it won't hurt a thing.

[SIDE NOTE] And I always thought about building a mod to use them. I figure using D size 1.2v 10000mah NiMH cells, three of them in series would give you 3.6v @ 10A would mean 36 watts. That should work for any 3.7v mod. Three D size batteries are huge. Add another three D size batteries and now you should have 72 watts of power. Yeah it sure would be a huge box mod or long tube mod, eh?

I haven't tested what the battery sag would be like pulling 10A from a D battery. It might be too huge and it would need more batteries for the mod if it was. It won't be a very useful mod, but just another novelty. And all this just to do the job of one 18650. Although the capacity would be like four 18650 in parallel. It probably would make a really safe mech mod too, since NiMH doesn't explode like Li-Ion can.

RigBick

ECF Veteran
    Mar 29, 2018
    Clearwater, Fl
    Yeah well I rarely disagree with Mooch. But I have been using NiCad since the 70's, NiMH since the early 90's, and Li-Ion since the late 90's. And NiCad *does* have a horrible memory effect. But NiMH absolutely *does not*. You can charge them anytime you want and it won't hurt a thing.

[SIDE NOTE] And I always thought about building a mod to use them. I figure using D size 1.2v 10000mah NiMH cells, three of them in series would give you 3.6v @ 10A would mean 36 watts. That should work for any 3.7v mod. Three D size batteries are huge. Add another three D size batteries and now you should have 72 watts of power. Yeah it sure would be a huge box mod or long tube mod, eh?

I haven't tested what the battery sag would be like pulling 10A from a D battery. It might be too huge and it would need more batteries for the mod if it was. It won't be a very useful mod, but just another novelty. And all this just to do the job of one 18650. Although the capacity would be like four 18650 in parallel. It probably would make a really safe mech mod too, since NiMH doesn't explode like Li-Ion can.
    You could build in to one of those high-end Cuban cigar boxes. After sealing it the grain would come out and probably look very pretty. The Vape equivalent of a big bamboo.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread