4 coils on a 4-post deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2019
North-Central PA (flyover country)
I finally got it looking good and working good on the third try. 24G+30G Clapton wire, 3mm dia coils, 0.14 ohms for the four. Built on a doge 4 deck. Needs 100 W before it really pops.

20210324_221658.jpg

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2019
North-Central PA (flyover country)
Um...but where is the point in that?
You can get a compareable vaping experience with a decent dual fused clapton configuration with much less effort and power needed.
Ok, granted, it looks cool, but overall efficiency tends towards 0, and you don't see your coils anyways when vaping.

I appreciate the feedback. There's been lots of views and others may have had the same reaction. You were the first to show the interest in responding.

The whole point of this exercise was to test my skills, try something different, and yes, look cool. There's left handed and right handed coils, multiple wire leads in each hole, getting the coil size and position just right so it doesn't short against the cap, having space for the cotton leads, & etc.

This particular build hits pretty well, the short coils and multiple cotton legs provide a good liquid supply so the coils don't dry out with chain vaping.

I've tried several different builds on this deck. It's only 24mm so there are space limitations. There's a lot of RDAs with 4 posts and its nice to know what is possible.

Can you explain what you mean by "efficiency?"

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
Efficiency = applied power to vapor ratio.

The thick 30ga wrap doesn't carry any significant current, so the 24ga core has to do all the work. And as long as the wrap hasn't reached a high enough temperature, there's not going to be any vapor at all, so the ramp up time has to be compensated for with more power. It may be cool to vape at a quadrillion watts, but if the same vapor production can be achieved with less power, that build is just inefficient.
26*2/40 or 28*3/38 coils for example are much more efficient. You get a compareable surface area but at the benefit of a much quicker ramp up and cool down. The quicker the cool down the better the overall coil life will be btw.

Having 2 seperate coils on each side isn't very efficient as well. A single contact coil offers a better all around heat distribution, which again helps with ramp up, and which in turn again needs less power for the same results.

The magic with fused claptons i, that the coils themselves act as a kind of wicking. They have (more) cavities where the juice can settle in, so the effective surface area of the heating element is a lot larger than simple claptons or plain round wire builds, which leads to more vapor production.

All that said I do enjoy simple 26/32 or 26/36 claptons in my series mechs, but only because there's just no other way to reach my personal sweet spot regarding heat and vapor production.
With single cell mechs or regulated devices fused claptons work a lot better though.

Resistance

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2020
I finally got it looking good and working good on the third try. 24G+30G Clapton wire, 3mm dia coils, 0.14 ohms for the four. Built on a Doge 4 deck. Needs 100 W before it really pops.

View attachment 935597
Four at 100W seems reasonable. You should be getting good flavour off that setup. Me likes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread