510 atty giving off chemical unbearable taste and smell

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkbeckie88

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2010
MA, USA
I recently got a joye 510 starter kit, and i used one atty for about 3 or 4 days, blowing it out for maintenance, and finally i needed to get some of the old juice taste out so i figured i would rinse it out under hot water. I did that let it dry for about a day, and then when i plugged it back in it gave off this horrible chemical toxic taste and smell. i can not even stand it, it makes my stomach sick and i feel like i am going to vomit. at first i thought it must be real dry so i dripped some juice on it and put a fresh cart on- still tasted real bad, i also tried dry burning- it still tastes so bad. Did i do something wrong? or is this atty defective?

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Pink--this is one of the most reported problems that this forum has ever seen and is not user error.

I bought ten 510 atomizers (I am not going to name the vendors–and it is not their fault anyway in my opinion, rather it is a manufacture issue). Of these ten, four of them emitted a foul taste as has been reported with so many 510 users. I used straight PG and cut VG to rule out e-liquid and drip smoked to rule out melting polyester batting right out of the box. (I have not used cartridges of any kind and only drip smoke for over a year now anyway).

Using stock 510 batteries, these four atomizers gave off a nasty burnt taste. After disassembly of two of the atomizers, I can preliminarily conclude that the nickel mesh bridge wicking is inferior and is burning instead of just heating.

There are only three components in an atomizer that could be subject to burn: (1) the coil; (2) the fiberglass wick that the coil surrounds; and (3) the nickel mesh bridge.

Upon disassembly of two of the four atomizers, I found the coils to be in tack and the fiberglass wick to have no discoloration. I removed the mesh, as I have done on so many other atomizers to find that the nickel mesh had a tinged blue and grey color and a slight burnt smell that also crumpled in upon manipulation. The mesh in most atomizers has no smell or discoloration and does not fall apart or crumple like this mesh.

With another of the four atomizers, I removed the nickel mesh bridge and drip smoked the atomizer with the coil in tact only to still have this foul taste. The taste would not dissipate even with removal of the visible wicking bridge. I can conclude that this removal of the bridge did not work simply because the metal wicking also goes under and around the visible part of the coil and can only be removed when the entire atomizer is disassembled.

I then disassembled one of the atomizers that did not emit any foul taste of the ten that I purchased only to find that there was no discoloration, smell, or crumpling of the nickel metal wicking material.

Bottom line---- four of the ten 510 atomizers that I purchased, employ an inferior mesh wicking bridge that burns and emits a foul taste, and that no cleaning of any kind can be done to abrogate the problem. This issue has absolutely nothing to do with user error as this metal wicking bridge is not suppose to burn or emit such a taste and needs to be rectified at the manufactures level.

As a Consumer, I can not say how wide spread the issue is, but I can say that I get reports of it every day.

When people say "I clean My atomizer with XYZ and it appears to work great", that really means "I rinse my atomizer to clear out excess e-liquid and flavor. There are only three know ways to actually clean the residue from an atomizer.

There is a big difference between washing off the atomizer and actually removing the residual.

After taking apart over 50 working atomizers to see what actually works and what is just pure fiction, we found:

(1) Dry burn for 15 second;

(2) Wet burn with Hydrogen Peroxide for 30 seconds;

(3) High Precentage phosphoric acid soak with a long rise.

The first one carries no risks, the 2nd and 3rd carry large risks and should never be employed for the simple reason that you never know if you have washed out all the solution from the atomizer and you do not want to inhale any residual of the cleaning solutions.

The use of boiling, lemon juice, denture cleaner, waterpicks, vinegar, backing soda, alcohol, etc, all will clear out excess e-liquid and dillute a left over flavor, but simply will not remove and "clean" built up residual from the atomizer.

One of the reasons I started the Expermenting with Our Equipment section on this Forum almost a year ago was to rule out and discover ways that actually worked to clean the residual build up on the coil. Here is a good picture of a coil after a weeks worth of use.

P1200006-1.jpg

This residual in no way emits an odor or a taste, but it will cause the atomizer coil to fail as the residual builds up to the point it actually lifts the leads up and snaps the connections to the battery.

You will find this residual on every coil of every atomizer in use. That is not the issue---the issue is the nickel mesh burning. It is not suppose to do that at all. As for the fiberglass wick, you simply are not going to get that fiberglass to burn either.

Here is a picture of the same atomizer coil after it was cleaned:

coilcleaned-1.jpg

You can see the fiberglass does take on a dark color, but that is not because it burnt in any way.

I hope that clarifies what people are dealing with.

Sun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread