VapeBoss

Jul 27, 2011
Arizona

CraigHB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Reno, Nevada
I actually ordered a couple of those yesterday for a mod I'm working on with a 1A charging rate. Yes, it's hard to find USB wall warts that have a 2A rating on them. The last ones I tried were rated for 1A, but they failed miserably sagging down to 3.5V with an actual 1A load on them.

The iPad/iPhone USB adapters are rated for 2.1A and they're cheap on eBay, but I haven't tried one yet. I'm not sure on those since they're not generic adapters. May be a problem, may not be.

I'll do a load test up to 2A on the MadVapes adapters when I get them and see how they do. If I remember, I'll post some bench test data for you. They should work well since you're only pulling 1.67A and the adapters are rated for 2A.

Last edited:

CraigHB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Reno, Nevada
Okay, got three MadVapes 2A USB wall warts today. I load tested them and here are the results.

Open circuit voltage was 5.2V plus or minus 20mV on all of them.

With a 2A load, voltage at the load was 4.7V plus or minus 20mV on all of them.

The reading under load includes the drop due to 4 feet of 22ga wiring, typically what you would find with a USB cable. With a 2A load, it's normal to see as much as a half volt drop over 4' of 22ga wiring.

I ran them for an extended period at 2A and found no drop-outs or other issues. They warm up a little, but run fairly cool, even at max load.

I removed the cover on one and found acceptable quality on the components and overall design of the power supply.

So, these units are well within voltage tolerance and perform well under load. I'm quite happy with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread