7 things E-cig policy makers need to know

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
    Got this from the world wide web and wanted to share it here.

Apologies if it's already been shared. It's a handy list for reference as well as informative.

E-CIGARETTE POLICY BRIEF: Seven Things Policy Makers Need to Know

All references are hyperlinked to official WHO and government reports, and peer-reviewed studies

The death toll from smoking is enormous

illnesses, and indigenous peoples (American Lung Association)

tobacco smoking is, by far, the world’s leading cause of preventable cancer, heart and lung disease

Harm reduction can reduce that death toll

→ Other examples of harm reduction include seat belts, bicycle helmets, parachutes, methadone and condoms

Safer nicotine alternatives help smokers quit

→ Forcing ex-smokers to vape tobacco flavor is like forcing recovering alcoholics to drink rum-flavored club soda

Teen vaping is undesirable, but not a crisis

→ If this assumption is correct, then US teen past 30-day ever-use is now lower than it was in 2015 (6 years ago)

Proposed policy “cures” are worse than the “disease”

→ Higher taxes, ‘flavor’ bans, and online/mail bans protect big tobacco’s main cash cow: deadly cigarettes

Unintended consequences and logical inconsistencies

• Probable outcome of ‘flavor’ bans: Teen vapers will switch to THC vaping or to cigarette smoking; many adult
    vapers will relapse to smoking; fewer smokers will quit; an illicit market (with no age-checks) will arise

• The same organizations that claim teen vaping is a gateway to tobacco smoking, also claim tobacco-flavored
    e-cigarettes repel teens (i.e., banning ‘flavored’ nicotine vapes will reduce teen vaping)

→ Definitions differ: adult current use = daily or regular use; teen current use = past 30-day ever-use

Full context of adult products that teens use, but should not use

→ Teens should not vape, smoke, drink or use cannabis (and adults should try to avoid irrational moral panics)

Buster282

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 11, 2014
    FL USA
    I haven't seen this thanks for posting D J. Its just insane how officals make these rules. I was just looking at another site. Over 70 vape businesses have closed this year because of their ignorance. Online sales rules are frankly un American. Ur name address, all ur info & everything you buy, all sent to feds & state to make sure taxes are paid. Signature received to make sure ur Not teen. Who the hell cimes up with this crap. Then sneak into massive COVID relief bill. I can get RX drugs in the mail No problem! Insane! This burns my bu.tt.

DaveOno

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Dutchess County, New York
    Nice list of facts.

I wish there was a line about the "vape scare", the lung problems from the black market thc with the vitamin-e oil, that was blamed on vaping. (y'all know the story)

And not just the policy makers, but the general public. Let's face it, the vaping world has horrible PR, and a poor image to many folks.

I don't believe the number of folks I thought were smart, who don't know that nicotine is not carcinogenic.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread