901 Noobie Question(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

deuxmachinax

Aug 4, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Hello all,

Just graduated from my 401 and bought a 901 kit. I have a few questions:

1. When I first got my 901, it worked so great that I couldn't believe it. Clouds and clouds of vapor with every single hit. (After I figured out to take low-long drags)

Q: After a week, my atty has this weird taste coming out when it's getting low on juice. At the same time, I only get the clouds when it's also starting to run out. I barely get any vapor when I top it off, it only gets better taste/vapor when it starts getting dry.

2. What is the best way to clean the atty? I don't have access to 95% proof Everclear since it's banned here in CA. I'll try boiling the atty tonight to see if I can get the weird taste out. (which again only happens when it's low on fluid) I tried a new atty as well and it's giving me VERY VERY weak vapor. Not sure if it's because it hasn't gone through the break-in period yet.

Thanks in advance!

nubee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
IL, USA
Hi,

I found the same thing as a beginner with my first 901 kit.
For me, I was flooding the poor thing thinking I needed to keep it floating - not the case.
Take off the atty, blow thru the end that the battery was connected to and blot the mouth end on some paper towel until you get little/no more coming out.
Then, start with a new cart and/or fill a blank with 5-6 drops in the bottom and then 4-5 on the top.
If you're like me hitting on the thing non-stop, you have to learn to restrain yourself and pause - it takes a few seconds for more juice to wick down into the coil section of the atty.

One more note: I found the low bridge (replacment attys) worked SO much better than the high bridge (factory default) that I have not used the originals since.

Last edited:

deuxmachinax

Aug 4, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Hi,

I found the same thing as a beginner with my first 901 kit.
For me, I was flooding the poor thing thinking I needed to keep it floating - not the case.
Take off the atty, blow thru the end that the battery was connected to and blot the mouth end on some paper towel until you get little/no more coming out.
Then, start with a new cart and/or fill a blank with 5-6 drops in the bottom and then 4-5 on the top.
If you're like me hitting on the thing non-stop, you have to learn to restrain yourself and pause - it takes a few seconds for more juice to wick down into the coil section of the atty.

One more note: I found the low bridge (replacment attys) worked SO much better than the high bridge (factory default) that I have not used the originals since.

Yeah, I do blow the atty out every 2 to 3 days, especially when i'm changing flavors. I'll try that again.

What do you mean about putting 5-6 drops in the bottom and 4-5 on top? And can you point me as to where to buy the low bridge atties?

Thanks!

nubee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
IL, USA
For first filling my carts, I would take the polly fill out and then drip 5-6 in the bottom of the cart. Put the polly fill back in slowly and let that absorb a bit. Then top it off with the 4-5 drops.

The polly seems to work better when you start with it fully loaded and then add to the top during the day. I would even refill it mid-day by just popping it out on the table and do the fill thing minus a drop or 2.

I got my low bridge attys from WindowsBeadWork.com but I don't think she's still doing 901's as she had a shipment seized. You can try VaporGuys.com - a bit pricey and $5 shipping. RockyMountainVapor.com is good (and cheap) but ask if they are low bridge as my 801 attys from them were high (yuck) bridge.

nubee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
IL, USA
Another after thought....straw mod for the cart worked well too.

You take a small coffee stir straw - that you can blow thru - cut one end flat and the other on a sharp angle so the whole thing fits into the cart and a bit below the lip as you don't want that touching the metal wick or coil.

The straw helps the bottom of the cart breath and makes filling and wicking much better.

Also the PTB (Pyramid Tea Bag) or regular tea bag mod might help and the material takes and give juice better

if you look into the atty you'll see the metal mesh wick.

If it rises to a sharp, V like point == high bridge
If it is rounded and lower == low bridge

I also felt the low bridge was and easier draw.

The straw mod was very effective on my 401, I'll be doing that for my 901 as well. The tea bag mod for some reason works for me, but it lessens the flavor by a great extent. I've stuck with the poly-fill since then..

Checked all my attys, all low bridge. So I guess that's good!

For some reason after talking to everyone and giving my 901 a break between every puff, it's working really well.

Thanks to all!

You are getting sleepy zzzzzzzzzzz.......
You will send me 2 complete 510 kits zzzzzzzzzzzz........
:)

Glad your cranking !!!

lol :)

I actually have 2 white 510 kits, i busted one out so i'm alternating between the 901 and the 510 to let it wick. didn't really pay attention to wicking as i kept direct-dripping onto my 401.

nubee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
IL, USA
Yep - I never really dripped with my 901 other than to fire it up in the morning after a night of draining. I did rinse mine with hot water as well though I've moved away from that practice with my 801's - 901's didn't seem to mind.

The only other thing I did find was that my older 901 batts didn't seem to kick as well or as long as when they were new. Great vapor first hour or so and then big fall off for the next hour until death. It was to the point where I got a passthru and kensington usb power pack so that I could have a full day of 5V power - then I was happy.

I appreciate all your help nubee,

But I find myself vaping with my 510 more and more. The 901 has been inconsistent..

Same problem. When I fill up the cart with liquid, I get a HARSH hit with little vapor. When it's almost running out, I get monster clouds, but bad flavor.

Not sure what to do with it now.. I've boiled them and the nasty flavor subsided, but what's up with the inconsistency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread