A beginner MOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suzette

Verified Member
Nov 19, 2010
Georgia, United States
I have been vaping since Thanksgiving and I am loving it!! It took a little bit but I am 100% off analogs. Now, I was thinking of getting a mod but the one's I am looking at are pretty expensive. I am looking for just a beginner mod. One that is on the cheap side so that if I do not like it, I am not stuck with a $100+ piece of equipment. I have currently a RIVA 510, RIVA 901, a bunch of KR808's and an Elegant XXL1300. So basically, I have been staying in the 3.4V-3.7V range. I have also tried low resistance atomizers. You can see that I have been doing a lot of experimenting!! Next step, a MOD. Any suggestions?

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
You could get a Ken's Boxmod 5 volt 510, or a Bartleby 5 volt 510. They're about the cheapest. Your 510 gear will fit. You'll need two sets of two 14500 batteries, plus a charger. Read the Battery Info page in The Library.

If you like the 510 LR atomizer on your Riva then a 5v 510 mod, which uses a stock atty by the way, will be the same plus 50% effective power (the TH and vapor that you experience). It works kinda like this:

510 stock atty @ 3.7 volts = the baseline: power = 1
510 LR @ 3.7 = 2 x power
510 stock atty @ 5 volts = 3 x power

Some flavors work really well on a 510 @ 5v, like chocolate and coffee, tobacco if you like it strong. Others, like some fruits, can get burnt out. However they may work fine on 801 gear fitted via an adapter.

Last edited:

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
Since you already have a fat batt with 1300 mAh, about the only reasons to get a mod are to have higher (or variable) voltage or juice-feeding.

For higher voltage, rolygate is correct that box mods are the least expensive. Here's the link for the $36 5V Ken's Box Mod (as rolygate mentioned, batteries and charger not included). I don't think cybervex is selling the Bartleby anymore. Another low price one is the 5V Big KaZoo, $60 for a full kit (i.e., including batteries and charger).

BigKaZookit.jpg

The least expensive variable voltage mod is the bic-lighter-sized (and shaped) $65 Little Sister.

LittleSister-inhandandinterior.jpg

However, I don't like box mods myself. The least expensive high voltage tube mod is the the $53 Original (Hex) Copper (6V).

Copper-originalhex.jpg

NOTE: 6V mods should only be used with "HV" (actually high resistance) atomizers at around 4.5 ohms. Even at 5V, I recommend a semi-HV atomizer at around 3.0 ohms. These accomplish essentially the same thing as your LR atomizers on 3.4V: balance resistance and voltage to deliver optimum sweet-spot watts of power and safe amps of current. Regular resistance atomizers are good for variable voltage. And never use LR attys at any voltage higher than 3.7V. [For more on this LR/HV, watts/amps stuff, see this article.]

The least expensive variable voltage tube mod is the brand new $80 Infinity.

Infinity.jpg

You can get juice-feeding by adding the $60 VapeMate or $15 The Dripper to your fat batts. [The $92 GG AFS v3.0 also shown in the photo is outside your price range and it requires a mod (and a mod-experienced user).]

Juice-feedadd-ons.jpg

The least expensive integrated juice-fed mods are the $45 side-fed MrPuffer (shown on the left and currently unavailable) and the $50 bottom-fed WetBox. Both use one 3.7V 900 mAh 14500 battery and a 3-ml juice bottle. Bic lighter not included.

MrPufferandWetBox.jpg

For more information on mods (including many other choices), see my Wonderful World of Mods in the ECF Library.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread