A few questions about mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

danthony428

Sep 20, 2011
Texas
Okay so im considering getting a box mod for at home use, because i basically chain vape if im at the house. When im out and about i love my volcano magma and it works perfectly, i use the tank system.

So im looking at the mod kits on madvapes, because i would like to learn to make them myself, they seem to get good reviews, and they are fairly affordable, my questions are.

1. can i use the tanks and tankomizer from my magma on it safely, like is this thing going to leak all over the place since its on top of the box.

2. should i even bother with the kit, or should i peice together my own kit from radioshack or somewhere similar?

3. If i choose to get the 5v box mod is this thing going to kill vaping for me on anything lower voltage, because i love my magma-t and dont want it to start sucking for me, lol.

Thanks for any help guys, you have helped so much already. If you have any other suggestions of "mod kits" or have a parts list for me and some how to instruction id love to hear/see it. Let me know please

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
Just my 2 cents:

1. I would think you could, no different than on the magma
2. That's your call, I built a Puck for around $10, and it was fun. Learned a lot too, but it's not "necessary"
3. I don't think it will. My Puck is around 4.8-5.2v, but I'm still happy with 3.7v with a LR atty

I've heard good things about the mods from Madvapes, let us know which way you go and how it turns out.

(That link for the Puck is a "how to" complete with very basic instructions and parts list. All parts available locally, except the atomizer)

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
Not sure what the magma puts out for voltage. Many brands that are advertised as 3.7 are only 3.3 or 3.4v. They are regulated down to that in order to smooth out the curve that you'd see as the battery reserves drop off (i.e., 3.4v for a couple of hours, instead of 3.7 right off the charger, dropping to 3.3 after 30 or 40 minutes).

Truthfully, if you can get past mods not looking like a tobacco cigarette, mods generally have MUCH better batteries and performance.

cskent

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Ohio
1. You'll need a 510-510 extension to make a tank work on a boxmod but other than that it'll work.
2. For about the same price you can piece together your own kit. The Madvapes box is predrilled so it makes it easier. I've built several and they're easy as can be. I leave out the LED and resistor because I'm way past wanting blinky lights on my rigs. It makes it simpler to build too. I just fill in the extra hole with epoxy when I'm gluing the connector in place. You'll still need to order a battery connector unless you can salvage one from an old 510 or eGo type battery. If you go this route you'll just need a 2 x AA battery box, a switch rated at 3 amps or more, and your connector. Personally I'd just buy the kit.
3. I tried HV vaping and really didn't care for it so went back to 3.7, which is actually 4.2 on a freshly charged battery. So no, it won't necessarily spoil you for lower voltage.

As to instructions on how to build it, check here Building a 3.7V 510 Box Mod.

danthony428

Sep 20, 2011
Texas
Not sure what the magma puts out for voltage. Many brands that are advertised as 3.7 are only 3.3 or 3.4v. They are regulated down to that in order to smooth out the curve that you'd see as the battery reserves drop off (i.e., 3.4v for a couple of hours, instead of 3.7 right off the charger, dropping to 3.3 after 30 or 40 minutes).

Truthfully, if you can get past mods not looking like a tobacco cigarette, mods generally have MUCH better batteries and performance.

im mostly getting the mod for at home and in the car use, i'll use my magma when i wanna fit in with the smokers and im out in public

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread