A horrible thing has happened (Pluid related)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rin13

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2011
Ohio
www.youtube.com
Phil Collins give me a migraine period... No previous trauma besides the one to my eardrums.
As for the taste aversion... I still can't drink several alcoholic drinks because of becoming sick while drinking them. They don't even appeal to me... and this was almost a decade ago. (Apple pucker (or any 'pucker' really) vodka, especially Grey Goose, Jack Daniels (the first alcohol I got drunk on) For a while I couldn't drink Hawaiian Punch either but I can stomach some 'punches' now.

Butters78

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States
to this day, phil collins brings me a terrible migraine - thats what happens when you listen to the new genesis album with a terrible concussion... 1981... nerf football collision... 5th grade...

Psychologically speaking... you would have to make an intentional effort to re-associate that flavor with good things...

Pseudio causes me night terrors :(

graybuck

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
Oregon
I had this happen many years ago with rum and Coke. To this day I can't stand the smell of Rum and still gag at the taste. Sorry dude but sell me your pluid as you will never vape it again. :)

So... any of you guys ever drink way too much of a certain liquor, get horribly ill, and then long afterward not able to even smell that same liquor/scent without gagging?

I love Pluid, ever since first trying it I've always had at least one tank full of it on a PV, one of my ADVs. Now I gag just smelling it, and forget actually taking a vape, I nearly threw up last night trying.

So if you aren't following, Pluid has a strong Anise flavor, and Absinthe is also strongly flavored with Anise. My mind has condemned me to hate Pluid now against my wishes, in addition to having three (expensive) bottles of juice sitting around I can't use anymore.

I've been googling like mad trying to find out a way to make my mind disassociate the taste of Pluid with my experience getting ill off Absinthe to no avail. I guess this is really more of a psychology question than a vaping one, but does anyone know of anything or way to fix this problem? I'm sure it's a long shot, but maybe some crazy old-timer way I'd never thought of.

I actually found some info about how your mind associates things with other things, which influences your desires. It's so odd, I still love the flavor of pluid, but it just literally make me sick to vape it (or even smell it) One thing I read (not related to vaping obviously) was to get a massage while exposing yourself to the scent (I believe the article was about someone who couldn't tolerate workplace smells due to some childhood experiences or something) The idea being that your mind would eventually associate pleasure with that smell instead of anything negative.

I'm not a psychologist so I have no idea how legitimate that idea is, nor does it matter anyway as I have nobody to give me a massage while I vape (sadface) but I'm hoping someone could share some ideas if they have any. The brute force approach (continually trying to vape pluid and fight through the nausea) isn't working and seems to be increasing its negative effect on me.

I know this sounds trivial but I love this juice, I want to be able to vape it again! Plus I don't want to waste a bunch of juice.

Thanks for any help!

thxone

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2013
Concord, NC
At 18 at a great party I decided to "Man Up" and drank 95% of a fifth of good old Jimmy Bean... straight. I was drunk for no less than a day and a half. It was horrible. To this day I don't think can drink shots of straight liquor. However, I have been able to drink it by mixing it. I started out a little at a time and worked my way up to a tolerable level. It's mind control for sure... if you take control, don't let your mind make the choice for you... I think you can overcome. Or... just before you decide to vape... look at naked things that make you smile :) Vape on!

scarf-ace

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The drunkest I ever got in my life was on Fuzzy Navels. One night in college I drank an entire Big Gulp-sized cup of Fuzzy Navels, and spent the following day in (ahem) a rather poor condition.

To this day even the smell of a Fuzzy Navel, or any orange-peach combination, makes me a bit queasy.

Mariss716

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2012
WA
If you're visualizing the Absinthe, you have to change the sensory imagery. It's the actual scent of anise that is the trigger for you?

This is a great technique I learned when training in NLP: The NLP Swish Technique
It involves detaching from the unwanted image, and replacing with the desired feeling.

This link has more detailed submodalities to guide your sensory imagery, near the bottom of the page.

It's one technique we used with phobias - it's effective and safe (you won't have to go anywhere near Absinthe to get the results!)

Last edited:

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
If you're visualizing the Absinthe, you have to change the sensory imagery. It's the actual scent of anise that is the trigger for you?

This is a great technique I learned when training in NLP: The NLP Swish Technique
It involves detaching from the unwanted image, and replacing with the desired feeling.

This link has more detailed submodalities to guide your sensory imagery, near the bottom of the page.

It's one technique we used with phobias - it's effective and safe (you won't have to go anywhere near Absinthe to get the results!)

I'm pretty sure it's the anise flavor, although jagger doesn't bother me, and they both have that anise flavor. The thought of black licorice sounds tasty and not disgusting, so I can't really be sure which specific flavor is the culprit, although that's a very interesting article you linked to and seems to be worth a try, thanks!

I was also thinking that Absinthe and Pluid have some other common flavors and/or ingredients that stuff like jagger doesn't use, which would explain the aversion to both Pluid and Absinthe, but not jagger or black licorice. Just a theory and obviously I have no idea of the ingredient list.

thanks again for the link!

TigerLadyTX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
Garland, TX
I feel your pain, Uncle.

One Easter, when I was a little kid, I got food poisoning. I had eaten a lot of hard boiled eggs right before it struck me... and I vomited mostly undigested hard boiled eggs for 48 hours afterward.

It has been about 45 years since then, and I have been unable to eat a hard boiled egg since that day. Oh, I can eat them if they are chipped up into something else - like tuna salad, potato salad, etc. But to eat a plain hard boiled egg? Impossible for me to do so to this day.

~Tiger

BentWookie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2013
SF Bay Area CA USA
I had the same problem with Tequila and Pizza.

Years ago in another lifetime I worked at a Pizza Hut as a cook for 2 years. It was 5 years until I could bear the smell of yeast without wanting to vomit.

And well tequila... Just a tip to my fellow vapors... Never, ever, ever, ever drink a $3 1/2 gallon of tequila in one night... EVER!!!

aubergine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
MD
I'd start with the absinth aversion. Pick a favorite time in the evening. Make sure you're feeling good and watching a movie or reading or something. Set a TINY bit of the absinth next to you. Like, a teeny sip. Keep reading or whatever. After a bit, just sip it. Then eat or drink something you love as extra reinforcement. That's it. Don't think about it, or get into being really brave, and don't frantically use your food/drink reinforcement to wash away the taste. No big deal mind. Very casual. Do that every evening for a few weeks. Then do the same with the Pluid - have it by another rig, take one hit, forget it. Very gradually increase. And def keep the internal drama-talk down.
Might not work because food conditioning is pernicious and primal, but that's a version of desensitization and probably your best bet. (I'm a psychotherapist. Be really glad it's not sex or something. :) )

Last edited:

tenshi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2013
United States
My first time drinking, I was 14 years old. Didn't know what alcohol was (yeah I know I was naive lol) and 'friends' gave me one right after another Screwdriver. I got sick several times and up till now (I'm in my 30s), I can not tolerate even the smell of alcohol /cry. I can drink Kahlua and cream though as long as there is 1 T of Kahlua and a whole lot of cream lol. I started off with a tsp in a glass of milk and built it up to a lousy tablespoon. Sorry I couldn't help. :p

DuffyA2Z

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
30+ some odd years ago my younger brother got sick while eating bananas ...he expelled the disgusting mass on me. To date bananas make me gag!

Now as far as Pluid goes ...if you can't get over your distaste you can easily sell it in the ECF market. I tried pluid a couple of months ago didn't like it and sold it within 15 min of posting it. I wasn't greedy and was happy to get an aga-s rba in return though some $50 offers came in after I made the deal for the rba.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
I get nausea from HEARING about Pluid all the time...

I have no desire to ever come in contact with the stuff.... Black licorice is like syrup of ipecac for me..

I guess I'll never be one of the "cool" kids.

But you already ARE one of the cool kids, hating on something simply because it's popular is total "cool kids" behavior. ;) Plenty of non-pluid related threads out there, have fun with 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread