A question for those who make tea extractions

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokepainter

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2011
Bristol, Tn USA
I bought some peppermint tea and I want to extract it. If I double up on the bags will it be strong enough to make it a flavoring? I would like to end up with it strong enough do I can add it to my nic liquid to make a strong vape.I am afraid if I just use one bag and then add it to my nic liquid it will be to watered down. Do any of you guys have any suggestions and success story's with doing this?

Thanks in advance.

brokepainter

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2011
Bristol, Tn USA
Ok I couldnt wait to get started.So I took 6 tea bags and cut them open and then I put in enough pg to cover it all.Then I zapped it in the microwave for 15 seconds and then I topped it off with about 30 ml.I now have it in the window and I'm not sure how long to let it sit. I read that if I leave it for to long it might turn bitter but I would like this to be very strong so I can use it as a strong flavoring. How long should I leave it?

Bostonsnboxers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2011
NW OH, US
Bump!

Any update on the result, brokepainter?

What would be really interesting would be to compare juices made with flavour from this tea-steeping method to juices made with pure peppermint oil to those made with a peppermint flavouring...

Next time you're in a grocery store pick up a box of any flavored tea. Problem is most flavor with oils, so really no advantage that I can see. It's possible there would be less (oil), but there's really no way to know...
It's the same with fruit flavors like citrus...they list lemon oil, orange oil, etc in the ingredients.

I spent a good bit of time shopping my tea aisle and reading labels...ended up buying plain black tea (in those pyramid bags which are awesome for extraction btw) and flavor the extraction myself.

Tona Aspsusa

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2011
Finland
Next time you're in a grocery store pick up a box of any flavored tea. Problem is most flavor with oils, so really no advantage that I can see. It's possible there would be less (oil),

LOL, I have almost a whole cupboard full (well, two shelves) of various herbal "teas", ie actually teabags or pieces of plants for making tinctures or tisanes - chamomille, mint, fennel (both seed and flower), rooibos (unflavoured and at least 4 flavoured versions), rosehip, black currant and aronia, rosehip & hibiscus*, licorice root, more mint (grown myself, not very good) and probably some more I have totally forgotten about.

I grew up in a very tea-drinking family, but lots of the teas were actually tisanes - almost all real tea was plain black (I think the only flavoured actual teas I knew before I was 15 were Earl Grey and a chinese Jasmine tea). I have turned out to be a coffee drinker, but I have retained the habit of *buying* interesting tisanes when I see them. And herbal teas are very good things to buy as tourist souvenirs - consumable, doesn't weigh much in your suitcase, good shelf life, cheap. About 80% of my stash is probably from foraging in Polish supermarkets - those Poles love their Herbatka, and the assortment is fantastic.

Eh, what was the topic again? Oh, vaping!
Yes, I agree with you Bostonsnboxers, I would be rather careful about flavoured tea-teas.

Not that I believe that the minuscule amounts of possible oils (which are probably essential oils and not lipids anyway) one might extract along with the flavours are likely to be very harmful when inhaled - it just seems unneccesary to use an overly complicated product, if a simpler and purer one is available. At least when one is doing something with it not originally intended.

*One of the nicest herbal teas I've ever had was pure dried Hibiscus flowers. From Zimbabwe or SA, iirc. Very bright colour, and subtle taste (similar to rosehip, but more juicy) so I'm not sure it would be a good thing to vape, though.

brokepainter

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2011
Bristol, Tn USA
Well my tea juice didnt turn out as good as I hoped.The peppermint wasnt very strong and I dont think I will be able to use it.But I wont give up yet because I used vg instead of pg.But the next extract will be Double Spice Chai Black Tea.I bought it last night and had 2 cups, it is fantastic. I will update this thread or start a new one with my results.

brokepainter

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2011
Bristol, Tn USA
I made my Double Spice Chai Black Tea extract last night and I let it sit overnight. I mixed up a batch this morning and vaped it and I really like it. I highly recommend this tea as a extract if you like it drink it. I wish that I put a cream flavoring in the mix but it is good as it is just at 10 % in the nic mix. Next time I will but cream and a few drops of em and I think it will be perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread