First extraction- Irish breakfast tea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven Pye

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2012
Herkimer NY
so today I took a glass jar and placed one Irish breakfast tea bag in it and covered it in 9ml PG. I microwaved the jar for 10 seconds then placed the jar in hot water for 30 minutes.

I opened the jar and removed the tea bag squeezing out any excess liquid that I could. I then filtered the liquid through a coffee filter, then repeated the process with a second coffee filter.

I ended up filling a 6ml bottle with a very dark liquid extract.

I am going to let it steep for a bit then try it out at 10% in a mix and see what I got

:ohmy:

michaelsil1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2013
Los Angeles
so today I took a glass jar and placed one Irish breakfast tea bag in it and covered it in 9ml PG. I microwaved the jar for 10 seconds then placed the jar in hot water for 30 minutes.

I opened the jar and removed the tea bag squeezing out any excess liquid that I could. I then filtered the liquid through a coffee filter, then repeated the process with a second coffee filter.

I ended up filling a 6ml bottle with a very dark liquid extract.

I am going to let it steep for a bit then try it out at 10% in a mix and see what I got

:ohmy:

Let us know how it went.

michaelsil1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2013
Los Angeles
This is what's happening the PG is absorbing the Plant Matter. I know this because I sent one of my Extractions to Jimi D and he told me. It will taste great for a second then fry the coil. I haven't given up yet and I might have found the answer. I have an Extraction in the works and so far I don't see any Plant Matter in it hopefully this works if not I'm throwing in the towel.

Aheadatime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2013
USA
I've tried VG only cold extractions michael, and those too end up gunking coils. I get a real burnt hair taste after the first two or three mls. To cover all bases, it was 100%VG (no water, alc, or PG), there was no heat applied (room temp), and the ingredient list on the tea was just 'Rooibos Tea', no added sugars or cinnamons or whatever, same goes for the black tea I extracted at the same time. They taste great, but it doesn't last long enough for me to consider worth it. I'm pretty sure companies like Ahlusions who extract their own stuff use distillation, either through CO2 or through a Soxhlet extractor or something along those lines.

michaelsil1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2013
Los Angeles
I've tried VG only cold extractions michael, and those too end up gunking coils. I get a real burnt hair taste after the first two or three mls. To cover all bases, it was 100%VG (no water, alc, or PG), there was no heat applied (room temp), and the ingredient list on the tea was just 'Rooibos Tea', no added sugars or cinnamons or whatever, same goes for the black tea I extracted at the same time. They taste great, but it doesn't last long enough for me to consider worth it. I'm pretty sure companies like Ahlusions who extract their own stuff use distillation, either through CO2 or through a Soxhlet extractor or something along those lines.

Jimi suggested I try extracting with VG, but I already knew it wouldn't work. I can't say what I'm trying right now is going to work, but it does look promising, I'll know in another month.

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
im no expert, ive done a coffee extract, and while it DOES look like it may have "plant mater" since i can see really small micro dots of something all in the liquid - it hasnt seemed to gunk up my atty. im wondering if that material is being caught in the wick.

vaped 3 tank fulls so far, and its still kickin. but i do clean the tank and do dry burns after each tank.

ziggytrix

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2013
Dallas, TX
im no expert, ive done a coffee extract, and while it DOES look like it may have "plant mater" since i can see really small micro dots of something all in the liquid - it hasnt seemed to gunk up my atty. im wondering if that material is being caught in the wick.

vaped 3 tank fulls so far, and its still kickin. but i do clean the tank and do dry burns after each tank.

Is that using the same technique as Steven, or is yours substantially different?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread